What really annoys me is that we all had and have our views on the rights and wrongs of the matter, they've been argued strongly on here, at the games, in the pub. We've put it behind us and moved on. The only thing that we almost all agree on is that Barry's input was disastrous and embarrassing. The size of the man's ego to do this now is beyond compression.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get it.

Why? Does he have a regime? Does he feel important when he talks to the press?

I don't like the fact when he's interviewed its as 'Barry Owen the Oldham Athletic Football Club Director' as though he's representing us and our club when infact he's just representing his own opinions and ideas.

Get rid, please.

Well the only way to show how much we disaprove of Mr Owen is turn up to the game on Saturday and make your feelings heard. Athleticos can make a banner? put it behind the goal and get it on TV so everyone else cans see he doesnt speak for us- just himself

Should be a good game aswell

Even if each crime was described as a "banana hammock" I'm sure society will operate just fine.

You are technically correct of course Phil (as usual I would say) but also obfuscating around the point. I can say that Dr Shipman was alleged to be a murderer and that Barry Owen has been alleged to be less than fantastic as a public face of our club. Both are true. However, a Club Director, and especially one with nothing to recommend himself but 30 years of alleged service in law enforcement should base his judgements on the current position under the law. Before convicted, "alleged," would be appropriate. "Convicted, " is the appropriate term now. You yourself will be well aware that, "convicted," doesn't rule out future challenge or miscarriage of justice, but it's true now.

No

That makes the verdict guilty. The law has decided he did it. That doesn't mean that he actually did. And even with the omniscience required to decide his actual guilt, the crime would still be "alleged".

"Alleged" just means that it has been claimed. Whether the judicial system found him guilty or not, it has still been "alleged". Barry's use of the word is perfectly correct.

What do you make of Barry's use (or coinage) of the phrase "rape crime"? Are there other forms of rape, such as rapes that are not crimes, or are not crimes just because a jury, a judge, the appeal court and Uncle Tom Cobleigh say so? Is there such a thing as a rape misunderstanding that is not a crime? What about a rape to-do? What about a rape incident that is not a crime?

And either way, he is entitled to think that Evans is not guilty. He's not alone.

He's not alone...does that mean you're with Ched and Barry? Just come out and say it. It's all about free speech. Just say: "I can easily forget a rape crime for the sake of a 20-goal-a-year striker."

Easy. No need to hide about it if that's your honest opinion. (If that is your opinion, I hope women give you a wide berth for eternity, and I wish for many other bad things to come your way.)

I'm absolutely ashamed that this man is a director of the football club I love. It's getting beyond embarrasing now.

It's also in my mind this has been done to tempt someone into saying something libellous or defamatory on OWTB after the revelations about him having his solicitor watchong posts on here. Be careful everyone.

blokes a prize A :censored:....allegedly.. :clint:

I hate the language that is used around talking about him from various people...

The "lad" just wants to work...

The "boy" just wants a job...

How about...

The "fully grown man who was convicted of brutally raping a young women"....

Its all designed to create some sort of :censored:ed up sympathy for the "poor boy".... Men talking within the confides of a heavily male dominated sport, almost excusing the most awful of crimes a man can commit towards a women. It makes me rage to be frank. Its not just any one person. Some of the commentary from some of the sport talk shows are all like this is a well.

The poor little boy is having a hard time... Tough :censored: !

Edited by oafc0000

I hate the language that is used around talking about him from various people...

How about...

Its all designed to create some sort of :censored:ed up sympathy for the "poor boy".... Men talking within the confides of a heavily male dominated sport, almost excusing the most awful of crimes a man can commit towards a women. It makes me rage to be frank. Its not just any one person. Some of the commentary from some of the sport talk shows are all like this is a well.

You really love Barry bringing this back up don't you? Gives you another chance to sensationalise. Brutally? Really?

Someone needs to do some 'dew diligence' on Barry Owen, to see if he really is that 'wet behind the ears', to think that dragging our clubs name through this dirt again is a good thing.

You have to question Neil Joy and Simon Corneys role in this they are his superiors and at the moment he is making them look like a right pair of chumps. They have the power to bring him into line they clearly are not doing that.

"My own personal view, and this is not the view of Oldham Athletic, is that it's a very different situation with Ched Evans," he said. "A lot depends on the public perception of the crime and the type of offence".

Barry Owen 16 October 2014.

Now why couldn't that be the end?

How about...

You make a good point, which I agree with. And then ruin it by using an emotive word like 'brutally'!

"My own personal view, and this is not the view of Oldham Athletic, is that it's a very different situation with Ched Evans," he said. "A lot depends on the public perception of the crime and the type of offence".

Barry Owen 16 October 2014.

Now why couldn't that be the end?

Because Barry cannot be told by anyone that he is wrong about anything, or that he is right about anything. He's in a bellended little world of his own.

Barry......please meet me one to one as you offered previously so I as a fan of MY club can tell you exactly what I think of you over your conduct regarding Ched Evans. At the same time you can tell me exactly what you have done for the club to hold such a position and also inform me how you think you have the right to speak on behalf of MY club when you made such a :censored: up of speaking on behalf of me......the fan you claimed to represent......allegedly