• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

If an MP like Meacher had said it that's fair enough as he's an elected representative of the people of Oldham (somehow),

Despite the fact he was right McMahon is leader of the council, and councillor for the small part of Oldham that voted for him, so should just stick to council issues (which he does a lot better than most of his predecessors to be fair) in my opinion.

I think Mcmahon is doing a good job, and has his head screwed on. Oldham Athletic is in the town of Oldham and is a major representation/advert of the town to the rest of the UK, not just his constituency. His input IMO was necessary as he has a duty to the people of the town to keep the gloss on the town at a murky grey colour rather than pitch black.

It does become a council issue when they have a stake in the club, and also lose out if OAFC get a bad reputation as it reflects on the town.

Edit: Lost my head talking about politics

Edited by youngen

Agreed.

If an MP like Meacher had said it that's fair enough as he's an elected representative of the people of Oldham (somehow),

Despite the fact he was right McMahon is leader of the council, and councillor for the small part of Oldham that voted for him, so should just stick to council issues (which he does a lot better than most of his predecessors to be fair) in my opinion.

Council putting money into the club made it a council/public issue, no?

Council putting money into the club made it a council/public issue, no?

Definitely not. Them putting money into the club was compensation for their giant cock up. They can't then hold us over a barrel for it for years to come.

They can have input on anything to do with land and the build of the new stand but for me, on-field matters are nothing to do with anyone but the owners and coaching staff.

Definitely not. Them putting money into the club was compensation for their giant cock up. They can't then hold us over a barrel for it for years to come.

They can have input on anything to do with land and the build of the new stand but for me, on-field matters are nothing to do with anyone but the owners and coaching staff.

Fair enough. Are legal matters on-field?

He is a weasel for blackmailing the club into not signing a player they wanted to sign. Absolutely nothing to do with him who plays for this club. Like it's absolutely nothing to do with the 70,000 who signed a petition to stop it going through.

Which player are you taling about?

• 3 weeks later...

Decision to be reviewed by the court of appeal.

Apparently some evidence not available at the time of trial has come to light.

If that's the case I imagine a re-trial is his best hope as I'm not sure they can overturn a conviction based on evidence never heard in court

"The referral is made on the basis of new information which was not raised at trial, and which in the view of the Commission, could have added support to Mr Evans’s defence at trial and therefore raises a real possibility (see note one) that the Court of Appeal may now quash the conviction."

http://www.ccrc.gov.uk/commission-refers-the-rape-conviction-of-ched-evans-to-the-court-of-appeal/

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Me thinks the damage is done and even if successful i doubt he would get a club higher than conference level if that.

Unfortunately with internet today these things don't fade away from the news like Lee Hughes issue did.

My memory's hazy but I think we signed Lee Hughes after the internet had become a popular communication tool.

You're right though - these thing's don't fade away, but those who stand to benefit will happily ignore them.