• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think we'd simply taken a phonecall from his agent and had the courtesy to hear what he had to say, however, does the fact that the club haven't said that was all that happened suggest we have actually sat down with him?

Disappointing if so......

Barry?

I'd like to think we'd simply taken a phonecall from his agent and had the courtesy to hear what he had to say, however, does the fact that the club haven't said that was all that happened suggest we have actually sat down with him?

Disappointing if so......

Barry?

What does it matter?

We don't want him. That is the only important fact in all of this. The club can sit down with Kim Jong Un for all I care. What makes you entitled to explanations on private communications?

What does it matter?

We don't want him. That is the only important fact in all of this. The club can sit down with Kim Jong Un for all I care. What makes you entitled to explanations on private communications?

I think this one is worthy of a full public explanation. Edited by deyres42

What does it matter?

Haha! You sound like me. :grin:

It doesn't matter, I was merely thinking out loud on a :censored:ty Monday morning.

And, believe me, I definitely wasn't expecting any kind of explanation on the back of "Barry?" :lol:

What does it matter?

There is a massive difference between calling him and enquiring about his avaialblity and then backing off because we were copping some PR heat for it, and taking an enquiring call from the PFA. .

It would make a mockery of LJ's assertion previously that they do a full assessmen before signing anyone if he had, but the club would be duty bound and rightly so to speak to LJ before dismissing it.

Are the people against this not wanting him playing football at all or just not for Latics? If he is going to play in league 1, why not us?

Hughes was a success in many ways, did the same people who oppose Evans cheers his name? Whether Hughes meant it or not he wrecked far more lives.

Read Evans website about the case, seems shaky to me.

I think you need to read the court case and opposing poit of view before making a judgement, rather than the testament of the accused, reagardless of how shaky.

How many games did we win after we loaned him out?

Is there anything that would would turn a blind eye to, if it meant they signed and played OK for Latics?

Its about the bigger picture, the rep of our club.

And the Ched Evans case is far, far, far bigger than the Lee Huges case.,

Are the people against this not wanting him playing football at all or just not for Latics? If he is going to play in league 1, why not us?

Hughes was a success in many ways, did the same people who oppose Evans cheers his name? Whether Hughes meant it or not he wrecked far more lives.

Read Evans website about the case, seems shaky to me.

Consider the source Clifford...

Sly.

LJ said in the meeting that he told SC to sign Korey Smith before he was going to get snapped up by his dad at Yeovil.

SC went along and trusted his judgement, the rest is history.

It was discussed just before Prozac fell into the room.

I love/hate the 'look at his website' argument.

There's books, articles, websites that make arguably convincing arguments that the Holocaust didn't happen. They entirely ignore all the obvious and indisputable evidence to the contrary. I'm not saying for one second the two are on anything remotely like a par. But if someone can try and explain away the extermination of millions of people, it's not difficult to do a similar exercise on one incident in a hotel room.

A jury of twelve independent individuals sat through a long trial and found him to be guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. Some seem to think it madness his mate was found not guilty and Evans was, and that is apparently in itself evidence of Evans' likely innocence - what is in fact is is a sign of just how bang to rights the jury thought Evans was.

But some people know better because they've seen 'the evidence'.

The impact of a decision to sign Lee (and I was supportive of that) on how people perceive Latics will live on for years to come. Whether he was a success on the field is one for debate - he scored a good number of goals in a team that wasn't that good, but in the end it wasn't enough to change the outcome of our season. I think the rumours of his involvement in the Dog Gate scandal tarnished his already debateable reputation.

Whilst I believe that once an indiviual has served their time they are entitled to try to re-build their life, I would not have been supportive of signing Ched Evans.

1) Whilst he may appeal, and people can have all sorts of views on the case, he is still currently a convicted rapist. Therefore I think that an apology / remorse needs to be shown for him to get a chance somewhere (something Lee did). I can understand that if he thinks he is innocent and is making an appeal that he doesn't want to to that - but I think he has to accept that this will have an adverse impact on his employability.

2) On pure footballing terms, I think that we have a great team spirit, a togetherness and are in good form. I am not sure that I would be looking to bring in any player that would risk disrupting that. Even if cleared on appeal, Ched's actions tell of a relatively unsavoury individual that I am not sure would be a harmonious addition to the squad. When Lee came we were in desparate need of some goals and quality.

In terms of the case being bigger. I wonder why? Wasn't Lee Hughes a Premiership football at West Brom at the time of the incident? Verses a League One / Championship player in Ched? Is it because rape is a more notable crime that people find more offensive and death by dangerous driving is more acceptable to people? Perhaps because everyone has probably at some time driven badly / too fast / perhaps even after a drink too many and got away with it - whereas rape feels more unacceptable?

Anyway - glad that already the BBC Ched story about us is already relegated away from being the top story about us on the site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30275571

I love/hate the 'look at his website' argument.

There's books, articles, websites that make arguably convincing arguments that the Holocaust didn't happen. They entirely ignore all the obvious and indisputable evidence to the contrary. I'm not saying for one second the two are on anything remotely like a par. But if someone can try and explain away the extermination of millions of people, it's not difficult to do a similar exercise on one incident in a hotel room.

A jury of twelve independent individuals sat through a long trial and found him to be guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. Some seem to think it madness his mate was found not guilty and Evans was, and that is apparently in itself evidence of Evans' likely innocence - what is in fact is is a sign of just how bang to rights the jury thought Evans was.

But some people know better because they've seen 'the evidence'.

Indeed!!!

Ched's website is just his defence team's view and misses out the valuable input of the prosecution. Of course if someone reads his website it looks shaky, it's hardly going to try to be objective. It's usefullness has some major limitations and can only be partly relied on. To get a fuller picture, the prosecution's case also needs to be heard.

Anyone who wants to believe Ched based on his website alone seriously should look at themselves and ask whether are the sort of people that get conned easily.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Oh well, at least we won't have a rapist playing for us, swings and roundabouts and all dat.

It bothers some, it doesn't bother others.

You wouldn't have to sit down and have dinner with him would you. You'd only have to watch him score goals for your team.

The lad is being hounded out of football by bandwagon jumpers for something that with quite probably be overturned.

You wouldn't have to sit down and have dinner with him would you. You'd only have to watch him score goals for your team.

The lad is being hounded out of football by bandwagon jumpers for something that with quite probably be overturned.

No bandwagon here, merely against the idea of someone who has been found guilty of such a serious and repulsive crime being able to resume his privileged career as if nothing has happened.

And what if he doesn't get your 30 goals that you supporters seem to think is a guarantee? What if he is awful? Do you still offer him the same gleeful support?

Edited by deyres42

An employer has a responsibility to its employees. Would you want your sister/mother/daughter etc working in an environment where a convicted sex offender (In this case rapist) was working (Ask Graham Rix how he is getting on)? I for one wouldn't. As for whether this case will be overturned, I'm not so sure now even though I think the original verdict was wrong. The Evans camp should have just disappeared until the review was done, they've made a rod for their own back. As it is, the only way back in to football now would take massive plastic surgery, change of name and a move abroad. His playing days in the UK are done.