It's spoiling a good weekend.

No it isn't. I wish people would stop overreacting. If he signed and we pushed on up into the top 4 with him smashing them in week in week out, you will all be happy and anyone who claims they would take their ST back is lying and needs to wake up and understand that football has no morals.

If he was regularly banging them in, clubs left right and centre would be wishing they'd taken the stick and signed him.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it isn't.

I'm glad it isn't for you. It is for me.

I wish people would stop overreacting.

They're not. They're having a fairly rationale debate.

If he signed and we pushed on up into the top 4 with him smashing them in week in week out, you will all be happy

A rather unfortunate choice of words in this context.

and anyone who claims they would take their ST back is lying

I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to accuse sensible posters of lying.

and needs to wake up and understand that football has no morals.

But some football supporters do. Oldham Athletic has a stated aim of attracting more kids to games. Employing a rapist is at odds with that.

If he was regularly banging them in, clubs left right and centre would be wishing they'd taken the stick and signed him.

Good for them.

Ched Evans is a Championship class striker.

He would improve our team as it is now the only position we need an improvement in.

I certainly wouldn't be petty enough to throw my toys out of my pram because I don't like a player.

He was a very good L1 striker in 2011/12, nobody knows what he is now.

I'm glad it isn't for you. It is for me.

They're not. They're having a fairly rationale debate.

A rather unfortunate choice of words in this context.

I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to accuse sensible posters of lying.

But some football supporters do. Oldham Athletic has a stated aim of attracting more kids to games. Employing a rapist is at odds with that.

Good for them.

Thanks O4U - saved me replying there, cheers

Don't get me wrong I fully respect everyone's opinion on the matter and that's why we have debates like this.

I just feel that because Sheff Utd had a big protest on their hands, some people on here think that the same could be created here. It couldn't. A few people on a message board will not stop us signing him if LJ feels he will improve the team and SC is ok with it.

As a club we showed with the Lee Hughes situation that we believe in giving 2nd chances. If the owners can get over it and the manager can, then that's that in my opinion.

I fully trust LJ to integrate him into the team in a way that will not disrupt if he was to come.

Championship - 2009/10 36 apps 4 goals

Championship - 2010/11 35 apps 5 goals

Where does everyone get this idea that he's some sort of lower league Aguero?? One decent League 1 season before 2 years playing against HMP FC

We are good enough we don't need him or the farce that will follow in the media?? Have any of you seen the news re Sheff Utd recently??

Championship - 2009/10 36 apps 4 goals

Championship - 2010/11 35 apps 5 goals

Where does everyone get this idea that he's some sort of lower league Aguero?? One decent League 1 season before 2 years playing against HMP FC

We are good enough we don't need him or the farce that will follow in the media?? Have any of you seen the news re Sheff Utd recently??

Absolutely spot on - His lack of form and goals were one of the main reasons Sheffield United got relegated in the first place!!

He gets better in the eyes of some, the longer he spends out of the game. There are far better areas to spend our cash if its available.

We sign him we'll get slated by every club,fans and media outlet going. It would upset the whole balance of the club alienating fans and losing sponsors. Businesses wouldn't want to have their name to a club that employs a rapist, because thats bad for their PR meaning money lost.

The slating from the media and him coming in would more than likely upset the balance of the team. A team that is winning has got us into the play offs and has only lost 3 all year, 2 being away at the top 2.

As other people have said we don't need him and by signing him we would take a massive step back and could compromise the whole season but more importantly could damage the name of the club for years to come.

Give them a working day to get their story straight.

This for me. The Express may well have been fed the story based on Evans's agent nudging it on here. Whether it's been Barry testing the water just it in case or a complete none story the club need to kill this one on Monday. Anyone who doubts that people would return their season ticket might want to consider him chatting to their wife our girlfriend at a club do. Are you keeping an eye over here drink?

Latics can and should close this off tomorrow and we can go back to being happy.

Edited by leeslover

Wonder what sportsdirect.com would think of it.

I'm not sure that zero hours contract direct would care that much. Ashley has never really cared what other people think and doesn't strike me as one to be moralistic about something.

Other sponsors may well take a different view. Fans often work hard to influence their employers, sometimes national companies, to sponsor Latics in some way. I think it would get a betrayal of those fans.

There has been a lot of hard work recently getting sponsors on board, the club is moving in the right direction on and off the pitch. Would SC risk this on one signing of a striker who in my eyes isn't really all that. I believe that the clubs ethic is moving away from this type of character although the Montano situation couldn't be foreseen. There are better strikers who we would be better off pursuing, who wouldn't cost as much financially or morally.

There has been a lot of hard work recently getting sponsors on board, the club is moving in the right direction on and off the pitch. Would SC risk this on one signing of a striker who in my eyes isn't really all that. I believe that the clubs ethic is moving away from this type of character although the Montano situation couldn't be foreseen. There are better strikers who we would be better off pursuing, who wouldn't cost as much financially or morally.

Not all that? Get a :censored:ing grip. There's a reason he was on £20k+ before his conviction.

Edited by oafc_lover

Regardless of how good of a footballer he was 3 seasons ago or wether he was or wasn't the victim of a miscarriage of justice I do not want the media circus that comes with signing Ched Evans, some may argue that his goal scoring ability could be enough to guide us to a promotion, others may argue that if we signed him and we did go up it would be a tainted victory what no one can dispute is that the last thing we need is the fiasco that Sheffield United have just been through we can't not afford to risk the bad publicity and have our sponsors reconsider their commitment to our club at the minute we seem to seen as a club who are trying to rebuild its self so lets do it the right way.

IF LJ, Corney and the main sponsors are on board with it (basically SportsDirect) the more I read the more I fancy us to go for him. SC is a business man and if the flack doesn't affect the finances he might take a punt.

The case looks shaky to say the least but even if its true the rules allow him to come back, same as Hughes.

For the record I'm against signing him.

Once Hughes was back in the game with us for a while many football fans seemed to then move on and and treat him more like pantomime villain. Don't get me wrong who took abuse but he then went to Blackpool, Port Vale and Notts County without much fuss.

Question; If Evans signed for Notts County until the end of the season. Then moved to Fleetwood before signing for us in the January window how would people feel? He would be in the game anyway at this

Couldn't help but think this myself

Crock of :censored: clickbait from a :censored: paper. We're not signing Ched Evans, it is not going to hit -20C this winter, and Diana died because the silly cow wasn't wearing a seatbelt when being driven by a drunk driver considerably faster than the safe speed was

FTFY

Edited by rudemedic