Can't see anyone stopping going this season would make any difference to be honest. Probably half of our crowd is made up of season ticket holders who have already paid so the financial gamble is simply one of would a drop off in pay on the day customers be offset by a return in transfer fee at the end of the season, should the goals go in.

On a purely financial angle, I can imagine the cub probably think it's a risk worth taking.

My thoughts exactly. If it gets us up there and (whisper it) promoted then the risk will have been well worth it.

Even if it gets us into the playoffs the club will probably be satisfied.

Edited by blueatheart

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see anyone stopping going this season would make any difference to be honest. Probably half of our crowd is made up of season ticket holders who have already paid so the financial gamble is simply one of would a drop off in pay on the day customers be offset by a return in transfer fee at the end of the season, should the goals go in.

On a purely financial angle, I can imagine the cub probably think it's a risk worth taking.

Leaving the moral issue aside for the time being, Long term though Twis; surely its a feckin awful business decision?

Yep, i get your point, as a ST holder; i've already paid up and the club already has my money. But what of this season with the walk-up's and pay on the dayers? And then, next season with both ST's and pay on the days?

The expected drop wont surely be offset by any transfer fee surely? Add into that the negative media coverage and the media circus that will follow us around whilst he's here.

I mean, i know fans who stopped coming and havent been back since for Lee Hughes signing. This would be the same no?

I can't believe that they (club officials; management, whoever) would entertain this?

Leaving the moral issue aside for the time being, Long term though Twis; surely its a feckin awful business decision?

Yep, i get your point, as a ST holder; i've already paid up and the club already has my money. But what of this season with the walk-up's and pay on the dayers? And then, next season with both ST's and pay on the days?

The expected drop wont surely be offset by any transfer fee surely? Add into that the negative media coverage and the media circus that will follow us around whilst he's here.

I mean, i know fans who stopped coming and havent been back since for Lee Hughes signing. This would be the same no?

I can't believe that they (club officials; management, whoever) would entertain this?

I've tried to set the moral issue completely aside &, if the stories are right, I'm guessing the club have done similar.

Financially, even regardless of our final league position, if he scores goals then the club would have an asset to offload in the summer, which they may choose to do before season ticket deadlines are met. (As with Hughes, once one club signs a player, the media circus is a bit smaller for subsequent moves although this could still impact on transfer value).

From a business point of view, with no cups for full pay on the day revenue & no merchandise sales to br affected, it is probably a gamble that many may take.

(When the moral side comes into it though - yes, very different)

Trying to put some logic to this whole thing

Surely the best thing for anyone even entertaining the idea of signing him should be to wait until after his appeal. Why sign a player with this kind of baggage.

Evans himself would be best waiting until after his appeal before continuing his football career.

Right now their is too much of a circus surrounding him That's why any club signing him currently is committing PR suicide.

Even if it's Vale, we should be issuing a statement immediately stating that we have not been in talks with him and totally distancing ourselves.

At moment the press are suggesting us and Vale were in talks but he's chosen Vale.

I don't want to trivialise what the scumbag did but it's ironic that even a convicted rapist has turned us down

Trying to put some logic to this whole thing

Surely the best thing for anyone even entertaining the idea of signing him should be to wait until after his appeal. Why sign a player with this kind of baggage.

Evans himself would be best waiting until after his appeal before continuing his football career.

Right now their is too much of a circus surrounding him That's why any club signing him currently is committing PR suicide.

Simply because if his conviction is quashed, the queue will be a mile long Edited by Fruitygoo

Most "in the know" reporters and press are saying its Oldham now.

I've met Corney and Johnson; both seemed really nice blokes and want the best for our club. The want success and are extremely driven but not for a minute would I believe they would sign a convicted rapist regardless of however they try and package it tomorrow at the conference (should it be us).

Johnson has a daughter FFS - I have two and I wouldn't for a second sign him especially after his unrepentant stance after he was released. The victim has gone through hell and even if he felt he was innocent he should have publicly stated his sorrow for all parties - no remorse whatsoever. Total scumbag.

Barry will be there using his ex-copper position spouting his "everyone deserves a second chance" rubbish. I hope he doesn't use us signing Lee Hughes to describe our club as a rehabilitation for players wishing to turn their life around and make up for the "errors" made in their life.

I wonder what Jenny will do and whether her position becomes untenable? Same goes with Mrs Johnson, Mrs Corney and the other wives and daughters of those who feed from the boardroom trough each game?!