• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how to react about this now.

Believe he has the right toplay foorball again; believe that a club has the right to do this; but also feel that sometimes having the 'right' to do something doesn't make it right.

It's a bit like Freedom of Speech, and Freedom of the Press - it is without doubt a postivie thing, but sometimes the result of it is downright offensive and objectionable.

2 weeks ago I would have been horrified by the thought of seeing my club go through what is has gone through over the last 4 days, and will no continue to go through for a while yet. Whilst I believe it should be allowed to happen, I didn't want it to happen to my club. That might make me a hypocrite, but I think that people have a right to say all immigrants should go home, but I don't agree with it. I feel the same about this.

My options are to accept it and continue to watch and support the team I love, or boycott the club until he is no longer a player. Having had a season ticket for 25 years (since I was a teenager) the latter feels almost an impossible option to me - why should something that I believe should be allowed to happen but that I don't like stop me doing something that I have done with family and friends for quater of a century?

Maybe my moral compass isn't strong enough?

Perhaps when I go to the first game and see the player and the reactions in generates in me and in others I will feel differently. More strongly that I cannot accept it. But then again, football is a tribal thing, and the emotional response to your team / players / fellow supporters getting dog's abuse is often to support them even more. I know I ended up feeling like this about Hughes. I know that players that I didn't particularly rate normally, would get more support when opposition fans took against them. It seems to be a human response.

Being an Oldham fan is certainly not dull. The next few weeks and months are going to ones that we remember for the rest of our supporting lives for one reason or another.

You really do think in a one dimensional way. You also have zero understanding and appreciation for where I am in life.

enlighten me then,why do you not go anymore [removed hyperbole]?

Edited by Ackey

There has been many post on here about the moral high ground / role model etc etc .

Football doesn't have any of these anymore , it lost them a long time ago -

if so -

Why is football governed by the most corrupt organisation since the Mafia ?

Why is Rooney captain of England ?

Why is John Terry playing for Chelsea ?

Why is Mr Oyston a director of a football club?

Why is Luke McCormack not only playing at Plymouth but is captain ?

Why has Lee Hughes played again ?

So why shouldn't Evans join the list !!!!

Say / do what you want about him but please don't make Morals / role models be the excuse for not going to BP.

Well said

enlighten me then,why do you not go anymore ...loss of limbs,housebound ?????

Its all been documented before... and I don't mind going over it all again...

But to give you the ones that stop me going even if I would like to.... (I was kind of missing the place to be honest and my daughter isn't far off being old enough to come)

I work, I have a young family (too young to come at the moment), and my wife and myself want to spend time as a family at the weekends. Coming to the games would see most of Saturday used for that purpose.

As someone with kids I am sure you can see my position.

Not sure how to react about this now.

Believe he has the right toplay foorball again; believe that a club has the right to do this; but also feel that sometimes having the 'right' to do something doesn't make it right.

It's a bit like Freedom of Speech, and Freedom of the Press - it is without doubt a postivie thing, but sometimes the result of it is downright offensive and objectionable.

2 weeks ago I would have been horrified by the thought of seeing my club go through what is has gone through over the last 4 days, and will no continue to go through for a while yet. Whilst I believe it should be allowed to happen, I didn't want it to happen to my club. That might make me a hypocrite, but I think that people have a right to say all immigrants should go home, but I don't agree with it. I feel the same about this.

My options are to accept it and continue to watch and support the team I love, or boycott the club until he is no longer a player. Having had a season ticket for 25 years (since I was a teenager) the latter feels almost an impossible option to me - why should something that I believe should be allowed to happen but that I don't like stop me doing something that I have done with family and friends for quater of a century?

Maybe my moral compass isn't strong enough?

Perhaps when I go to the first game and see the player and the reactions in generates in me and in others I will feel differently. More strongly that I cannot accept it. But then again, football is a tribal thing, and the emotional response to your team / players / fellow supporters getting dog's abuse is often to support them even more. I know I ended up feeling like this about Hughes. I know that players that I didn't particularly rate normally, would get more support when opposition fans took against them. It seems to be a human response.

Being an Oldham fan is certainly not dull. The next few weeks and months are going to ones that we remember for the rest of our supporting lives for one reason or another.

If your moral compass includes the belief that a tolerant and just society seeks to rehabilitate offenders and re-integrate them back as worthwhile contributors to that society then I would suggest you don't have a problem.

It seems to me that 2 former sponsors who don't support that view have problems with their moral compass not you.

Looking back a couple of weeks how prophetic were Barry's comments about stay away supporters, if only you stay aways came more often, put money into the club, we may not have had to resort to signing a cheap despicable option.

Well done, do us all a favour, carry on staying away.

You are not the victim's.

First and last post.

Its all been documented before... and I don't mind going over it all again...

But to give you the ones that stop me going even if I would like to.... (I was kind of missing the place to be honest and my daughter isn't far off being old enough to come)

I work, I have a young family (too young to come at the moment), and my wife and myself want to spend time as a family at the weekends. Coming to the games would see most of Saturday used for that purpose.

As someone with kids I am sure you can see my position.

Plenty of mid week night games.

? and who is looking after my children ?

Anyway had enough of this. Accept my reasoning or don't.

The mrs? The milkman? We all have excuses for not going but some love the club enough to make the effort. I don't do all the Saturdays for the same reason as you but to say you've not been for 4 years because of a child is bollocks.

If your moral compass includes the belief that a tolerant and just society seeks to rehabilitate offenders and re-integrate them back as worthwhile contributors to that society then I would suggest you don't have a problem.

It seems to me that 2 former sponsors who don't support that view have problems with their moral compass not you.

And a good proportion of my internal debate agrees with that standpoint.

But I can't help the nagging feeling that he doesn't speak out about the treatment of the victim and others impacted by this whole sorry situation, and therefore could be argued to be tacitly supporting the apporach that people who claim to act in support of him.

I can't help the feeling that the overally impact on our club in the longterm will be detrimental (supporters, other players, finances) and we are a football business not a charity to support the rehabilitation of offenders into society.

I wonder if there is anyone that finds their mind completely 100% happy and convinced that either option in the scenario was the right thing to do. For me it's a massive grey area of conflicting viewpoints.

People keep saying he has the right to work again as if a convicted sex offender can just return to any form of employment after being released. I wouldn't be able to continue doing my job if I was a convicted rapist as I'd never pass a DBS check. Footballers have a big responsibility within a community and this should definitely be applicable to them. The fact he has shown no remorse whatsoever only exacerbates matters.

The club has lost at least one attending supporter due all this. It has handled this whole debacle embarrassingly, and I have no wish to be associated with this shambles

Looking back a couple of weeks how prophetic were Barry's comments about stay away supporters, if only you stay aways came more often, put money into the club, we may not have had to resort to signing a cheap despicable option.

Well done, do us all a favour, carry on staying away.

You are not the victim's.

First and last post.

Wow

And a good proportion of my internal debate agrees with that standpoint.

But I can't help the nagging feeling that he doesn't speak out about the treatment of the victim and others impacted by this whole sorry situation, and therefore could be argued to be tacitly supporting the apporach that people who claim to act in support of him.

I can't help the feeling that the overally impact on our club in the longterm will be detrimental (supporters, other players, finances) and we are a football business not a charity to support the rehabilitation of offenders into society.

I wonder if there is anyone that finds their mind completely 100% happy and convinced that either option in the scenario was the right thing to do. For me it's a massive grey area of conflicting viewpoints.

Spot on. I think he should be allowed to play but I'm feeling it didn't have to be us. As i said to my mate this really could break the club up.

I just trust SC knows what he is doing. For that I've got to support the clubs stance even if i don't overly enjoy it.

The mrs? The milkman? We all have excuses for not going but some love the club enough to make the effort. I don't do all the Saturdays for the same reason as you but to say you've not been for 4 years because of a child is bollocks.

Whether or not someone attends games or not is a personal choice and I don't think he should have to justify himself to you or anyone else...

Will Corney cover the income shortfall to budget following withdrawal of sponsorship by Verlin and Zen plus any potential reduction in attendances?

Apparently the club have other sponsors to fill the gap but would be a bit rich if Corney complains about reduction in budget following this latest "decision".

....unless Massey is covering everything....nuts for the dad of someone who was cheated upon by Evans.

People keep saying he has the right to work again as if a convicted sex offender can just return to any form of employment after being released. I wouldn't be able to continue doing my job if I was a convicted rapist as I'd never pass a DBS check. Footballers have a big responsibility within a community and this should definitely be applicable to them. The fact he has shown no remorse whatsoever only exacerbates matters.

The club has lost at least one attending supporter due all this. It has handled this whole debacle embarrassingly, and I have no wish to be associated with this shambles

I think there is a difference between having a 'right' to do something, and it being the right thing to do.

To say he doesn't have a right to work again then in essence we are saying as a society that there are certain crimes that have a lifetime of unemployment as a punishment in addition to the custodial sentence, I cannot not find that an acceptable way for a society to behave - people must have the chance to re-build there lives in some way shape or form.

If that is the case, then society will take steps to legally prevent certain circumstanaces taking place. The obvious example is the list of professions that people on the sex offenders list are barred from, or people with a criminal record are barred from. But there is also the case that Ched was barred from taking employment outside of the UK whilst out on license. There are i presume the circumstances where curfews mean that people cannot work jobs with hours that overlap with these restrictions.

Failing these circumstances an individual has a right to apply for any form of employment they see fit. And an amployer has a right to employ or not.

In this case both Ched and Oldham Athletic have a right to do what they are doing. That is why people keep saying it.

Beyond that it is a matter for individual parties in these circumstances to decide is that right is right.

Anyone can have an opinion on anything they like - saying it's not valid is fairly narrow minded. I'm not and America citizen but still have my opinions on US Governemnt and policy - an opinion is subjective to the person and its validity is the same

He voted to say he'll boycott over Evans. He hasn't been for 4 years!