This will probably be my last word on the subject for some time. Quite naturally, opinion is divided over this and, as I've said before, everyone is entitled to their opinion. What is not acceptable is posters making barbed comments bordering on personal attacks to other posters. Totally unnecessary in my view.

So, this is where I am. I've thought long and hard about it having first made a knee jerk reaction. Sadly, the decision is still the same for reasons that I won't go into here; the details of the case have already been done to death.

As for how the club has behaved in this whole sorry affair, I feel humiliated, embarrassed and sickened. To make a public statement on December 1st categorically emphasising that they would not allow Mr Evans to train with us or offer him a contract, only to continue negotiations leading to agreed terms shows untrustworthiness. The circus that has followed the whole shenanigans around since Sunday has made the club and board look increasingly incompetent.

I cannot, hand on heart, support any of this which means, much to my regret after over 6 decades, I have most likely watched my last Latics match. That decision could be reversed if the club does a U-turn or if and when Mr Evans departs for pastures anew. Additionally, I cannot continue to donate some of my hard earned into Playershare. whether or not any of it goes towards his wage packet. It would be hypocritical to do so. Unless it is preferred by this message board that I give it up, I will continue with the Prediction League at least to the end of the season.

To those of you that continue to go and support the team, I wishing you nothing but success and good luck. I will not decry you for doing so as that is your decision, which I fully respect. I only ask that you afford me the same courtesy.

It's not right to drag playershare into this, no money is going to Evans, nor will the manager request it.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not right to drag playershare into this, no money is going to Evans, nor will the manager request it.

I just don't feel right giving my money to the club when I am turning my back on it. Which is why I said whether it supports his wages or not.

At the end of the day, oldham athletic are signing mr chedwyn evans..

If you don't agree don't turn up on Saturday or whenever.if you don't/do agree with this singing but still want to support your team carry on. ....simples

I thought I'd have a few weeks to let the dust settle before I had to decide whether or not to attend matches going forward, as I thought the rapist would be a few weeks away from the squad. Sky are reporting he could be in the squad for weekend, I might end up making a knee jerk decision here!

Well over the last few days for me it's been pretty much non stop debating with various different people who know of my allegiance to Latics regarding the moral and ethical points of whether or not Ched Evans should be allowed back in to football. I've barely actually thought about it with a Latics head on, but the seeming finality of the decision now has made me do so.

Introducing myself as an Oldham fan has always brought me a certain amount of pride. Supporting my local team rather than going the easy route to enjoy unrivaled success of larger clubs on our doorstep, sticking with the team through thick and thin (frankly having been born after the Royle years, it's been a hell of a lot more thin!!), and absolutely wearing my heart on my sleeve when it comes to all things Latics. It's a big part of my identity. I've always taken a certain amount of pleasure in wearing my Latics shirts when walking through the streets in Leeds (where I'm at Uni), proud of where I'm from, and proud of being part of the community of Oldham supporters.

This signing has destroyed all of the above for me.

No longer when the words 'Oldham Athletic' are mentioned will people think of those famous FA Cup ties against Liverpool and Everton. No longer do they see a young team playing good football for a good young manager. No longer do they see a club with loyal, committed fans. Oldham Athletic now means just one thing - a club who signed a convicted rapist. And that is all that our club will be to anybody for a very long time.

Every match at Boundary Park from now until he leaves will be held in a vile, hostile atmosphere. The rest of the footballing world hates us, and our own fans are now split. Every goal Evans ever scores will be reported with the words 'convicted rapist' beginning the sentence. Every point he wins with his goals will be tainted, and any success the club achieve through these points will be hollow. I will not be able to take any pleasure whatsoever in the achievements of my own club so long as he is on the playing staff.

This alienates a huge number of fans. No matter the numbers on either side of the argument, who can honestly say that they think a decision driving away loyal supporters in droves is a good one? Only a few posts up, Bristolatic (whose post summed up my views wonderfully) says that he feels unable to continue with Oldham Athletic, many others are saying the same thing. These are supporters who have followed the club through thick and thin for several times longer than Simon Corney has been at the club, and Barry Owen has been a member of the board - how can an action driving away these supporters possibly be the correct course to take?

I'll forever be grateful to SC for saving our club, and am always mindful of this when criticising him. I feel he's made the wrong decision, but can forgive him for it. Barry Owen on the other hand, the so called fans' representative, is driving away those he claims to represent! He is an absolute disgrace.

I'm heartbroken, I'm angry, and I'm resigned. I don't know how much success or otherwise this will bring it. All I know is I bloody well won't be there to see it.

It has been rumoured that the Professional Footballers’ Association may have partially initiated the Evans deal, approaching Oldham because of its record in signing footballers convicted of criminal offences.

Well :censored:adoodledo - what a lovely reputation to have!

One final point from me personally. .

Dare I say I haven't been attending games much for a couple of seasons now due to work, divorce (incidentally oldham athletic were named in my divorce papers).Now if you are thinking of or already made up your mind about boycotting/never attending again e.t.c, then that's your choice and everybody should accept that decision without sly comments.

But believe me no matter how :censored: we are/were/will be, who is playing for OUR club you will miss it. So think carefully people. ....

Well over the last few days for me it's been pretty much non stop debating with various different people who know of my allegiance to Latics regarding the moral and ethical points of whether or not Ched Evans should be allowed back in to football. I've barely actually thought about it with a Latics head on, but the seeming finality of the decision now has made me do so.

Introducing myself as an Oldham fan has always brought me a certain amount of pride. Supporting my local team rather than going the easy route to enjoy unrivaled success of larger clubs on our doorstep, sticking with the team through thick and thin (frankly having been born after the Royle years, it's been a hell of a lot more thin!!), and absolutely wearing my heart on my sleeve when it comes to all things Latics. It's a big part of my identity. I've always taken a certain amount of pleasure in wearing my Latics shirts when walking through the streets in Leeds (where I'm at Uni), proud of where I'm from, and proud of being part of the community of Oldham supporters.

This signing has destroyed all of the above for me.

No longer when the words 'Oldham Athletic' are mentioned will people think of those famous FA Cup ties against Liverpool and Everton. No longer do they see a young team playing good football for a good young manager. No longer do they see a club with loyal, committed fans. Oldham Athletic now means just one thing - a club who signed a convicted rapist. And that is all that our club will be to anybody for a very long time.

Every match at Boundary Park from now until he leaves will be held in a vile, hostile atmosphere. The rest of the footballing world hates us, and our own fans are now split. Every goal Evans ever scores will be reported with the words 'convicted rapist' beginning the sentence. Every point he wins with his goals will be tainted, and any success the club achieve through these points will be hollow. I will not be able to take any pleasure whatsoever in the achievements of my own club so long as he is on the playing staff.

This alienates a huge number of fans. No matter the numbers on either side of the argument, who can honestly say that they think a decision driving away loyal supporters in droves is a good one? Only a few posts up, Bristolatic (whose post summed up my views wonderfully) says that he feels unable to continue with Oldham Athletic, many others are saying the same thing. These are supporters who have followed the club through thick and thin for several times longer than Simon Corney has been at the club, and Barry Owen has been a member of the board - how can an action driving away these supporters possibly be the correct course to take?

I'll forever be grateful to SC for saving our club, and am always mindful of this when criticising him. I feel he's made the wrong decision, but can forgive him for it. Barry Owen on the other hand, the so called fans' representative, is driving away those he claims to represent! He is an absolute disgrace.

I'm heartbroken, I'm angry, and I'm resigned. I don't know how much success or otherwise this will bring it. All I know is I bloody well won't be there to see it.

All this could have been written word for word years ago when we signed Hughes -

We survived and got a good reputation back on track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems as though SC genuinely believes in giving people a second chance.

We did it once with Hughes, which was mildly successful from a football signing point of view (getting a decent goals return from his time), pretty much no real impact on the long term success of the club (we are still in League One), and almost no impact on our long term finances (no big sell on fee, no dramatic loss of income from gates and sponsorship).

To do it again with Ched, I imagine that SC is probably not counting on achieving anything more than the same - but you hoping that potentially it might help us get promoted, win the JPT or get a fee back at some stage.

To do that when you know what the response will be from media etc. it must be because he thinks its the right thing to do. I wonder what his companies are like in terms of recruitment of ex-offenders? It might be something that he does elsewhere not just with his football club.

That being the case, I admire his courage to continue to support this belief in the face of such strong opposition even if it isn't an approach that many would support. There may be circumstances relating to individual cases that some find easier or more difficult to accept, but as an overarching principal I find myself thinking it isn't something that I am embarrassed my club is willing to do.

This is just a chapter in Latics rich history. It will soon pass, nobody really cares about us and this will be old news soon. Yes he will get stick from away fans just like Hughes did but it will lessen and will be forgotten before we know it. This is a good club, some may not like what the current custodians are doing just now but we need to attend to enable the club to survive, it is bigger than any one player and any one board. I don't doubt that the board have considered the ramifications here, they would be incredibly incompetent if they haven't and are making this decision in the long term interests of the club. Let's not let it spoil things for too long, let's take it on the chin, support the team and cheer the team and the club when Evans scores, we eventually acknowledged Hughes for what he was and we need to try to do the same again now. It's really going to be too miserable if we don't.

In the grand scheme of things none of this really matters, You either support OAFC or you don't

Those silly enough to cut off their nose to spite their face in shunning the club will soon come round and even if they don't it's their loss

If it all goes tits up then so be it but you should still hold your head up high and say that I've always been and always will be OLDHAM through and through

Originally I was fuming, willing to find another club to support and hand my shirts back to the club in protest. Since then, I've calmed down a bit. I'm still not happy about the whole affair, angry at the board for handling this debacle and putting the fans through a load of :censored:

However, I will still support Oldham Athletic*. I won't support Mr Evans even if his conviction is overturned as he seems to be a horrible bloke quite frankly and I'll struggle seeing his name pop up under our score line. But he'll be gone before you know it and the club will rise through this issue. (*although I'll be doing so from overseas as I move to Canada on Tuesday. Luckily not many people over there know where Oldham is so shouldn't be too difficult to side step this whole sorry agenda)

In the grand scheme of things none of this really matters, You either support OAFC or you don't

Those silly enough to cut off their nose to spite their face in shunning the club will soon come round and even if they don't it's their loss

If it all goes tits up then so be it but you should still hold your head up high and say that I've always been and always will be OLDHAM through and through

-1, I won't be coming round, if he scores 5 goals a game I won't be coming round.

All this could have been written word for word years ago when we signed Hughes -

We survived and got a good reputation back on track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vitriol around Hughes never reached anything like these levels. Sure as hell don't remember us being top story on BBC News for the best part of a week! Rightly or wrongly the more connected world of 2015 (Twitter, change.org etc etc) have made this much larger than Hughes' signing. Not to mention that Hughes did actually seem remorseful and willing to engage with the rehabilitative process, unlike Ched "having sex with a girl I've never met who is utterly pissed off her head is somehow not rape" Evans...

Edited by JoeLatics

Yes my knee jerk reaction re Ched was how most people would think of a rapist and certainly would never want such a person anywhere near Latics.

Since Latics have become embroiled in the circus I started to look into all aspects of the issue.

I would never condone such behaviour that was admitted did occur & it repulses me, consequently until all comes out in the wash,& we get to know the true character CE is I don't think I will wildly cheer or chant his name.

I will attend & support our club, because this club needs our support when times are good and especially when under pressure like now.

I will cheer for Latics if he scores & politely nod, or clap Ched if he scores, nothing more, out of respect for supporters who don't believe we should have signed him. Out of respect for people who think he is a rapist. Out of respect for the girl involved and what she has been subjected to since.

I was going to use the word victim but I'm not because im not 100% sure she was at the time.

Infact in similar situations some could argue the person in Ched's shoes was the victim, both possibly intended at the time and consequently in light of what he has gone through. It's tricky.

Anyway on reflection of the information available I have a major doubt in my mind the conviction was correct.

Consequently from a more informed position I have changed my opinion and am quite comfortable with Ched Evans playing for us, until I see otherwise.

I hope SC and LJ & others at the club do not get hounded out by people I think have looked at the situation from a hysterical, knee jerk point of view.

I respect others who disagree but

I will support Simon & Lee because I believe in them, their intentions and thank them for the obvious effort and hard work they have done since joining, in helping stabilise & turning round Oldham Athletic and giving me hope again.

I firmly believe they have the best interest of our club at heart.

I respect others who disagree, with politeness and not hysteria; and hopefully vice versa can be said.

So let's ALL get behind Lee Johnson, Simon Corney and OUR club, work together, stand together and weather this difficult storm together in camaraderie if not singing from the same hymn sheet.

Do not desert your club.

Please.

The press have been waiting for this since October. Latics have given them their week in the sun. For some Latics fans they feel it's something they cannot come to terms with and have decided to stay away. I feel for those supporters who have attended regularly. I hope in time and after the sensational press disappear off to their next feast some will learn to stomach it, switch off from their anger for the 90 mins and return. I have no axe to grind with these supporters, we are all Oldham blues in the end, hopefully that draws them back.