And a good proportion of my internal debate agrees with that standpoint.

But I can't help the nagging feeling that he doesn't speak out about the treatment of the victim and others impacted by this whole sorry situation, and therefore could be argued to be tacitly supporting the apporach that people who claim to act in support of him.

I can't help the feeling that the overally impact on our club in the longterm will be detrimental (supporters, other players, finances) and we are a football business not a charity to support the rehabilitation of offenders into society.

I wonder if there is anyone that finds their mind completely 100% happy and convinced that either option in the scenario was the right thing to do. For me it's a massive grey area of conflicting viewpoints.

Perhaps I really am too much of an old fashioned leftie! I know there are issues around being on licence etc. but essentially he has completed the custodial element of his sentence and if he does want to be viewed as reformed surely it's incumbent on him (amongst other things) to look for work. I make no comment on the remorse issues as they've been done to death on this thread already. He is looking for work and yet celebrities, the clergy and politicians to name but a few groups are telling us we shouldn't be employing him. At the same time the MoJ is telling him he can't work abroad. WTF is he supposed to do? Someone asked if we (as a forum) would be happy if he was reading our gas meters while alone with our wives and children (despite the fact there is no evidence that he's a threat to children) - well frankly I'd prefer hairy arsed 6 foot 4 lower league centre halves kicking lumps out of him every week than that. Edited by Wozzer

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He voted to say he'll boycott over Evans. He hasn't been for 4 years!

[REMOVED]

As I said to you already... and for the benefit of the poster you have just spoken to...

I explained that although I haven't been for four years, which is no secret to anyone posting here, it doesn't mean I wouldn't of gone along over the next two years.

If your moral compass includes the belief that a tolerant and just society seeks to rehabilitate offenders and re-integrate them back as worthwhile contributors to that society then I would suggest you don't have a problem.

It seems to me that 2 former sponsors who don't support that view have problems with their moral compass not you.

Evans has previously been offered employment by his girlfriends father. Which he apparently turned down.

He is not being denied the chance to earn a living, rehabilitate or to re-integrate. Just not on his terms as though the rape never happened.

**LAST WARNING**

Folks, I am at work and don't have time to be your mum - please learn to use some self control in your comments. Debate and opinion is welcome but take a deep breath, review what was said, critique and reply in a polite tone.

If not? Sorry but I'll just start deleting :censored: - I am too busy for this today!

Thank you to those who are already capable of basic communication without childish bickering - I appreciate your efforts.

Ack

Still deeply disturbing....

Lone drunk vulnerable women being driven around by rapists...

You would hope their convictions where very much historic ones....

I now have a very different view on the advice I would give my daughter if she was out drinking around Manchester. Get the Bus home!

My 8 year old cousin was taken whilst riding the bus, sexually abused and murdered.

Do I now believe all bus drivers are evil paedophile murderer's? No I don't

Do I still believe in rehabilitation? yes I do

So towards Ched I would have to be a hypocrite to say no football for you

He voted to say he'll boycott over Evans. He hasn't been for 4 years!

And he's answered that point - I've been going for 23 years and won't be whilst that cretin is in an oldham shirt - my opinion valid enough for you? Or should I follow Mr Evans and take it to appeal?

**LAST WARNING**

Folks, I am at work and don't have time to be your mum - please learn to use some self control in your comments. Debate and opinion is welcome but take a deep breath, review what was said, critique and reply in a polite tone.

If not? Sorry but I'll just start deleting :censored: - I am too busy for this today!

Thank you to those who are already capable of basic communication without childish bickering - I appreciate your efforts.

Ack

I am sorry... My bad...

Don't know why latics fans are slagging each other off over this especially as we didn't ask for it .

People obviously have different views on the subject.

The bottom line is it's looks like we are going to sign him like it or not.

Either go and support him , boycott the games or like me go and support the team irrespective of who's in it.

It make your mind up time - not slagging each other off time

Edited by losesome

Its's happening folks.

Just had a personal reply from Neil Joy to my 3 emails sent to Neil Joy (and Barry and Simon Corney).

He reminded me of his involvement in our extremely dark period when we nearly folded.

I replied briefly and included that I thought this was our darkest time,more than then becasue we could rebuild,

The outcome of all this may not be to your satisfaction but I do assure you, that despite what may appear to the contrary, no one involved in this process is fumbling around in the dark and taking decisions on an issue of this magnitude without full and proper consideration.

People were ringing Jenny on club phone other day giving abuse and threats according to her FB

FFS

I was going to write an email to the club saying how disappointed I was with the decision and then I thought what is the point. The likes of SC won't read it. I don't have his email address (although I could probably guess it) It will just be some poor women in the club offices who day is already pretty awful.

I think if people are going to protest they really shouldn't take it out on the average staff member. Keep that in mind guys when speaking to someone at the ticket office who had nothing to do with this and so on.

Edited by oafc0000

FFS

I was going to write an email to the club saying how disappointed I was with the decision and then I thought what is the point. The likes of SC won't read it. I don't have his email address (although I could probably guess it) It will just be some poor women in the club offices who day is already pretty awful.

I think if people are going to protest they really shouldn't take it out on the average staff member. Keep that in mind guys when speaking to someone at the ticket office who had nothing to do with this and so on.

I did get a reply from Neil Joy. See above.

This will probably be my last word on the subject for some time. Quite naturally, opinion is divided over this and, as I've said before, everyone is entitled to their opinion. What is not acceptable is posters making barbed comments bordering on personal attacks to other posters. Totally unnecessary in my view.

So, this is where I am. I've thought long and hard about it having first made a knee jerk reaction. Sadly, the decision is still the same for reasons that I won't go into here; the details of the case have already been done to death.

As for how the club has behaved in this whole sorry affair, I feel humiliated, embarrassed and sickened. To make a public statement on December 1st categorically emphasising that they would not allow Mr Evans to train with us or offer him a contract, only to continue negotiations leading to agreed terms shows untrustworthiness. The circus that has followed the whole shenanigans around since Sunday has made the club and board look increasingly incompetent.

I cannot, hand on heart, support any of this which means, much to my regret after over 6 decades, I have most likely watched my last Latics match. That decision could be reversed if the club does a U-turn or if and when Mr Evans departs for pastures anew. Additionally, I cannot continue to donate some of my hard earned into Playershare. whether or not any of it goes towards his wage packet. It would be hypocritical to do so. Unless it is preferred by this message board that I give it up, I will continue with the Prediction League at least to the end of the season.

To those of you that continue to go and support the team, I wishing you nothing but success and good luck. I will not decry you for doing so as that is your decision, which I fully respect. I only ask that you afford me the same courtesy.