• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes my knee jerk reaction re Ched was how most people would think of a rapist and certainly would never want such a person anywhere near Latics.

Since Latics have become embroiled in the circus I started to look into all aspects of the issue.

I would never condone such behaviour that was admitted did occur & it repulses me, consequently until all comes out in the wash,& we get to know the true character CE is I don't think I will wildly cheer or chant his name.

I will attend & support our club, because this club needs our support when times are good and especially when under pressure like now.

I will cheer for Latics if he scores & politely nod, or clap Ched if he scores, nothing more, out of respect for supporters who don't believe we should have signed him. Out of respect for people who think he is a rapist. Out of respect for the girl involved and what she has been subjected to since.

I was going to use the word victim but I'm not because im not 100% sure she was at the time.

Infact in similar situations some could argue the person in Ched's shoes was the victim, both possibly intended at the time and consequently in light of what he has gone through. It's tricky.

Anyway on reflection of the information available I have a major doubt in my mind the conviction was correct.

Consequently from a more informed position I have changed my opinion and am quite comfortable with Ched Evans playing for us, until I see otherwise.

I hope SC and LJ & others at the club do not get hounded out by people I think have looked at the situation from a hysterical, knee jerk point of view.

I respect others who disagree but

I will support Simon & Lee because I believe in them, their intentions and thank them for the obvious effort and hard work they have done since joining, in helping stabilise & turning round Oldham Athletic and giving me hope again.

I firmly believe they have the best interest of our club at heart.

I respect others who disagree, with politeness and not hysteria; and hopefully vice versa can be said.

So let's ALL get behind Lee Johnson, Simon Corney and OUR club, work together, stand together and weather this difficult storm together in camaraderie if not singing from the same hymn sheet.

Do not desert your club.

Please.

Ched Evans is the victim?! Wow, just wow....

Politicians & various officials trying to dictate to a private company who they should and should not employ, trying to gain brownie points.

It has been mob rule & bullying of the worst kind by the sainted people of social media.

I was pretty certain our main sponsor was not going to cow to these people.

Who is to say that all the previous high profile criminals who have shown remorse are being genuine , or just savvy enough to know how to play the game ?

The law of the land has tried and sentenced him.

If the same law of the land allows him to play , it is entirely a matter for the club.

If fans(real ones , not the billions signing online petitions ,believe it is wrong they will stay away , it is their choice).

There is no moral lead from football ..... from their obsession with spitting constantly ,to abusing officials , feigning injury & fouls.,

Oh my god barry blatters on sky

He was clearly nervous. Swaying around on the spot a lot. I had to laugh though at the tacking on of "and ladies" after addressing the press as "gentlemen", at the end of the speech. :lol:

Edited by PlayItLivo

Zorro,

I'm not implying you are, I never would, just respecting differing views and wanting us to stick & work together for our club.

Joel,

Read it again I didnt say he was just inferred in some similar (ie not exactly the same) situations

kiss n tell stories end up in the media for financial reward.

However If it is found to be a miscarriage then he may well be one.

everything is black and white to a degree.

No offence to anyone, it's not easy discussing on a board much better one to one over a civil pint.

Wishing you all the best.

Edited by hedge66

Just imagine if, and I know its a big if, his conviction is overturned, then he will absolutely be the victim. Locked up for 2 and a half years for something he didn't do

But it's exactly that, at this moment in time, he isn't a victim, he's a convicted rapist. We can't (and I hope the club aren't) just cross our fingers and hope it'll get quashed, because the extremely strong likelihood is that it won't.

Leaving aside, for a moment, the rights and wrongs of whether Evan's should be allowed to play professionally, a couple of things really nag at me about this signing.

Firstly, I don't believe for a moment that this decision has been made in order to 'rehabilitate and reintroduce into society' a player who made a monumental :censored: up. I think it's more like short-sighted expediency on behalf of the club to sign a player who, under normal circumstances, would be above their pay grade. That rankles.

More than that though, this last few days have ruined any enjoyment I feel at the prospect of going to watch Latics. Saturday afternoons represented a certain form of escapism. A couple of hours where a person can forget any other hardships and enjoy (occasionally) an entertaining spectacle supporting the lads. Slightly simplistic perhaps but that's what it meant to me. Now, walking down Sheepfoot Lane, all I'll be doing is questioning my own morals and ethics, due to what those in power have decided, and dreading the poisonous atmosphere which is bound to follow this club now like stink on a :censored:e! That I find extremely irksome.

I genuinely fear the long term consequences that this deal will have to the image of this club. But, hey, if it brings us success, then that's all that matters according to some.

Just imagine if, and I know its a big if, his conviction is overturned, then he will absolutely be the victim. Locked up for 2 and a half years for something he didn't do

Once again I find it amazing that so many people have such little faith in the justice system yet seem to think the appeals system is infallible