Oldham 0 Yeovil 4

if we can put this game to bed and quickly we could still finish top 8 if we dont we could be looking at a Bradford situation from last season which would be a disaster with a new stand on the way.

New stand? Dont hold your breath!

Corney said it would be finished for next season Ive no reason to think it wont be.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree we are higher in the league than expected, but the manager said some of his players heads went down yesterday and that for me is a worrying aspect, even if not the best players in the division he has a right to expect 100% commitment from his squad in every game.

I don't know what you did/do for a living BP but whether it was a shop, factory, office or building site I'd be amazed if every single employee gave 100% every single day - and it doesn't happen at football either for all the same reasons as in those workplaces because they are just human beings and they have days where the spirit just isn't willing.

They may be doing a job that makes many people envious but it is still a job and not every day is the perfect day.

I don't know what you did/do for a living BP but whether it was a shop, factory, office or building site I'd be amazed if every single employee gave 100% every single day - and it doesn't happen at football either for all the same reasons as in those workplaces because they are just human beings and they have days where the spirit just isn't willing.

They may be doing a job that makes many people envious but it is still a job and not every day is the perfect day.

You are referring to jobs of 8 hours a day and more, not 90 minutes one day a week, if you can't show a positive attitude for that length of time there's something wrong.

If your boss at work asked you to do give your best on a task for a 90 minutes would you think it impossible?

Droylsden (part timers) were 3-1 down after 60 minutes on Saturday, but did their heads go down, no they won 5-3.

Edited by BP1960

I think that this period is going to be LJ's first real test.

I think he can come out of it stronger, but there is a niggling doubt.

I think he over reacted after a narrow loss, and the players have reacted badly to that bollocking.

So his job is to lift the players this time I feel, even though a bollocking might be more appropriate. In this case, I don't think that bollocking them ever more to the defeat will help.

This group was supposed to be adaptable, and clearly are not. But he cannot make any changes for a few weeks.

I do wonder if players know if they are being moved on in Jan?

As others have said, it does highlight how key a couple of the players are. But sure you cannot blame LJ for trying something different to outwit his old man? The players should have coped, but if they were unsure, they sure should not have performed so abjectly.

My take on things (for what it's worth).

I though we didn't play particularly well at Rochdale despite the result and we were poor against Doncaster the following week. Having wobbled a bit in those games I thought Saturday was criminal. A ridiculous change of system from LJ that none of the back 5 looked comfortable with.

I also think Rachubka can think himself unlucky that we was dropped. I don't think he'd done a great deal wrong prior to Kenny being brought in. I've not seen the goals back from Saturday but for the one that hit the post and rebounded, Kenny never moved for the initial shot nor for the rebound, and it looked from the Chaddy End that he was a million miles away from getting down anywhere near the 4th.

Kasunga was incredibly poor, allowing his man to get goal-side of him for one of the goals (2nd?) resulting in having to head the ball into the middle of the box, and trying to be too smart for the 3rd instead of putting his foot through the ball. That's fundamental stuff. Really simple, SIMPLE stuff!

Hopefully this will serve as the monumental kick up the arse they need and we'll get back to doing the simple things which have served up so well until the last couple of games.

My take on things (for what it's worth).

I though we didn't play particularly well at Rochdale despite the result and we were poor against Doncaster the following week. Having wobbled a bit in those games I thought Saturday was criminal. A ridiculous change of system from LJ that none of the back 5 looked comfortable with.

I also think Rachubka can think himself unlucky that we was dropped. I don't think he'd done a great deal wrong prior to Kenny being brought in. I've not seen the goals back from Saturday but for the one that hit the post and rebounded, Kenny never moved for the initial shot nor for the rebound, and it looked from the Chaddy End that he was a million miles away from getting down anywhere near the 4th.

Kasunga was incredibly poor, allowing his man to get goal-side of him for one of the goals (2nd?) resulting in having to head the ball into the middle of the box, and trying to be too smart for the 3rd instead of putting his foot through the ball. That's fundamental stuff. Really simple, SIMPLE stuff!

Hopefully this will serve as the monumental kick up the arse they need and we'll get back to doing the simple things which have served up so well until the last couple of games.

Can I be the first to congratulate you on still being in the ground for the 4th, my patience had worn thin by the 85th minute.

Missed the game, so potentially far easier to be less doom and gloom than having sat through the game.

That said I think that the last few games I have seen had seen a dip in the level of football that we were seeing earlier in the season - Preston in the JPT we played poorly for the first half; Doncaster in the FA Cup was a poor game; Dale away was workmanlike and a little flattering.

All teams will have a period where they struggle - and we are clearly doing that at the moment. On the plus side in terms of maintaining interest in the promotion campaign, 2 of those were cup games and one we managed to win. The league position is far from drastic, the team / players can play good football, and it appears that on Saturday we played a formation that didn't seem to suit us (so we can do something fairly obvious to put it right).

Personally I think that the public dressing down that LJ has given the team and individuals in the last few weeks is not perhaps that helpful - but it is up to him to work out how to motivate his players and he may or may not decide that the approach should be used less frequently. The way he has responded to this result is better - and potentially he may have the advantage of learning far more from this defeat that many others as his father may be willing to divulge more about how he went about doing such a good job. Though maybe not, they are both professionals - and I find the accusations of us 'laying down' to help Yeovil over the top. Latics are always capable of putting in a mare at any stage of any season (Oxford away in the Championship season being a case in point).

You are referring to jobs of 8 hours a day and more, not 90 minutes one day a week, if you can't show a positive attitude for that length of time there's something wrong.

If your boss at work asked you to do give your best on a task for a 90 minutes would you think it impossible?

Droylsden (part timers) were 3-1 down after 60 minutes on Saturday, but did their heads go down, no they won 5-3.

Didnt Droylsden get beat by 8 or 9 last season?

What happened in that 90 minutes. Did their heads drop? Maybe a little?

I suspect you wrote tongue in cheek, but the reason for that was due to financial difficulties they had to play amateurs in a semi pro league, it's like asking the Latics youth team to play every week in Division One, even then I'm sure they would give their best for 90 minutes - as the lads at Droylsden did.

For Professionals of about equal status to chuck in the towel is what I (and the manager for that matter in his comments) was on about.

I suspect you wrote tongue in cheek, but the reason for that was due to financial difficulties they had to play amateurs in a semi pro league, it's like asking the Latics youth team to play every week in Division One, even then I'm sure they would give their best for 90 minutes - as the lads at Droylsden did.

For Professionals of about equal status to chuck in the towel is what I (and the manager for that matter in his comments) was on about.

Fundamentally disagree with that.

If you have a player has scored 15-whatever goals this season and he's not playing it can and will affect a team. Footballers are idiots, but they know and value who the good players are and they know who the not so good players are. To lose two very good players can upset the balance of the team massively. You should know that sport is as much as psychology as it is skill.

Fundamentally disagree with that.

If you have a player has scored 15-whatever goals this season and he's not playing it can and will affect a team. Footballers are idiots, but they know and value who the good players are and they know who the not so good players are. To lose two very good players can upset the balance of the team massively. You should know that sport is as much as psychology as it is skill.

Absolutely, in modern football.

I get the impression 1960 does not have much time for Psychology. Or modern football.

It started off as a 3-5-2, with the emphasis on attack. But due to our giving the ball away so often, it became a 5-2-1-2.

I dont know how many picked up on it, but I actually changed it before the first Yeovil goal so we actually conceded the four goals in our usual shape and routine."

Right Lee ?

Absolutely, in modern football.

I get the impression 1960 does not have much time for Psychology. Or modern football.

Modern football is no different psychologically than it ever was, people have just been lead to believe it is by a phlehoro of analysts.

It's a simple game over complicated by formations and tactics.

I admit I'm an endangered species, all I ask is when I leave this earth is to please preserve the protruding nail in my main stand seat in loving memory.

Edited by BP1960

It started off as a 3-5-2, with the emphasis on attack. But due to our giving the ball away so often, it became a 5-2-1-2.

I dont know how many picked up on it, but I actually changed it before the first Yeovil goal so we actually conceded the four goals in our usual shape and routine."

Right Lee ?

A proper shrewdie would have changed it back to the shape it was at at 0-0...

Right Lee ?

Now that takes tinkering to a whole new level, have I missed something here as well 5-2-1-2 is our usual formation ??? We have played 4-1-4-1 in the majority of games this season or a 4-3-2-1 cant remember us playing the formation Lee mentions its no wonder the players appear clueless.

Right Lee

I think he needs to just admit he got it wrong. Is this a vanity / ego thing or does he really think the average Oldham fan is thick?