New Trust Directors?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would some or all the directors be willing to step down if the members asked for that? Or does the process not allow for it?

As with most Committees they will have to simply be replaced as there will need to be a minimum number in office

If the elections are in April, I know for a fact that Barry is one of them up for re-election but there must be others too plus anyone can volunteer to be put up for re-election. There will be nothing to stop all of them volunteering to stand for re-election if that was deemed required.

I will try to find out the others who have to be put up for re-election

Social media and message boards are wonderful for picking holes in things and providing solutions whilst not taking any action.

It gives the impression of being something of a closed shop, you have to attend the meetings to get your views heard etc.

Add in a chairman seemingly working to his own agenda and I can see why people think why bother.

As with most Committees they will have to simply be replaced as there will need to be a minimum number in office

If the elections are in April, I know for a fact that Barry is one of them up for re-election but there must be others too plus anyone can volunteer to be put up for re-election. There will be nothing to stop all of them volunteering to stand for re-election if that was deemed required.

I will try to find out the others who have to be put up for re-election

Are you standing? do you want a role.

But Lags, time and time again one member of the Trust has hung the others out to dry, a significant member at that. There have been many calls for Barry to go but he hasn't, he's weathered the storm and then reappeared some time later, opened his mouth and changed foot and the whole "Barry out" cycle begins again.

But this time, to go from a statement from the Club's board on 1st Dec to the effect of "We won't sign or let Evans train at Latics" and "Consult the fans..." to "80% deal agreed by 7th January is astounding. What is more astounding is that several key people in the Trust hierarchy have said they weren't consulted so where was this "consultation" before a change in the club's stance and actions?

A blind man on a galloping horse could have told the Club's board that this move would end in tears. The only clubs that could pull this kind of move off are those that have a wealthy backer and could ride out any financial storm, Ashley for instance - He has changed the name of St James's, faced heat for signing a shirt sponsorship deal, had his cockney mates criticised and then stood by a manager despite protests. He has been able to do this dues to deep pockets, a luxury OAFC do not have.

Every penny counts be it from a widow buying a strike-it-lucky ticket, some local business doing the sandwiches for away trips at a reduced rate or a fairly large national/global company buying decent sized advertising slots at the club. There is a delicate balance to be struck and attention paid to keep this ship afloat and moving forward.

Barry had one job between 1st December and whenever the approach to Evans was made and that was to ask a range of fans their views, he could even have logged in here to see if he could gauge reaction, he would have seen a pretty conclusive poll against proceeding and then advised the club accordingly. He failed in this task and for me it has moved me from fairly ambivalent/ tolerating him as the role he has been doing has changed and it isn't an easy role to do to a position of very anti-Barry and wanting him out for the good of the club.

Would I put myself up to replace him? No, last night I resigned from a position in an extra-curricular activity I do myself as I am short of time as things stand, I've just had a promotion and have 3 courses for professional qualifications to do this year but I will try and get to any trust meetings where we can oust Barry and I will fully support anyone who puts themselves up.

It won't be an easy task for his replacement and yes, it will probably end in failure, most things in football do end in failure but Barry could salvage some credit from recent events and resign from his position in the Trust. Whether Corney would then opt to keep him on the Club's board in some capacity I have no idea, if he does, he does, I have no control over other board members.

In time Barry may come to be thought of as a man who stood up when Latics needed someone, what he has done since the Moore years has on the whole been okish. If he stays where he is much longer even that faint praise will be too much.

Edited by beag_teeets

It gives the impression of being something of a closed shop, you have to attend the meetings to get your views heard etc.

Add in a chairman seemingly working to his own agenda and I can see why people think why bother.

Is that aimed at the whole committee then? just so everyone knows if it's just Barry you think accounts for that.

Social media and message boards are wonderful for picking holes in things and providing solutions whilst not taking any action.

True. One shouldn't rise to it I guess

A good idea is a good idea... No matter where it came from.

Maybe stop seeing the "slating" and criticism as a negative thing and start viewing it as a huge swell of idea and opinion to appreciate, explore and possibly take on. Some people don't have the time to commit to being a trust director but have time to brain storm and come up with ideas. Its still a contribution.

It has to be said that a lot of you have't got thick enough skin for public positions such as the ones you hold. Public positions such as these are sometimes thankless tasks. But I also totally reject the idea that thanks and praise haven't been given at the same time.

I am quite bored of listening to some of the self pitty being expressed. Barry is doing a :censored: job in a very privilege position and that point has been justified beyond just mouthing off he is doing a :censored: job. If he or you can't handle that sort of criticism being labeled its usually best to step back from public positions.

Edited by oafc0000

Are you after a list from the trust directors or ideas from fans ?

I created a big thread a while back...

No saying ever idea is still good or relevant... But we have had these discussions in the past...

It was all quickly rubbished by Barry :P

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/45027-trust-relaunch/?hl=+trust%20+reform

I meant the Trust . ie what do they need to get moving on, help with. Nothing wrong in your list to.

I know a man, recently retired, lifelong fan, season ticket holder, lived and worked in Oldham all his life, ran a local business. He'd be ideal. I'll be seeing him later and will ask. I am 99% sure he will have no intention whatsoever to get involved!

To be honest, it's a bit like the Speaker of the House of Commons isn't it, an appropriate candidate has to be dragged to the chair.

But Lags, time and time again one member of the Trust has hung the others out to dry, a significant member at that. There have been many calls for Barry to go but he hasn't, he's weathered the storm and then reappeared some time later, opened his mouth and changed foot and the whole "Barry out" cycle begins again.

But this time, to go from a statement from the Club's board on 1st Dec to the effect of "We won't sign or let Evans train at Latics" and "Consult the fans..." to "80% deal agreed by 7th January is astounding. What is more astounding is that several key people in the Trust hierarchy have said they weren't consulted so where was this "consultation" before a change in the club's stance and actions?

A blind man on a galloping horse could have told the Club's board that this move would end in tears. The only clubs that could pull this kind of move off are those that have a wealthy backer and could ride out any financial storm, Ashley for instance - He has changed the name of St James's, faced heat for signing a shirt sponsorship deal, had his cockney mates criticised and then stood by a manager despite protests. He has been able to do this dues to deep pockets, a luxury OAFC do not have.

Every penny counts be it from a widow buying a strike-it-lucky ticket, some local business doing the sandwiches for away trips at a reduced rate or a fairly large national/global company buying decent sized advertising slots at the club. There is a delicate balance to be struck and attention paid to keep this ship afloat and moving forward.

Barry had one job between 1st December and whenever the approach to Evans was made and that was to ask a range of fans their views, he could even have logged in here to see if he could gauge reaction, he would have seen a pretty conclusive poll against proceeding and then advised the club accordingly. He failed in this task and for me it has moved me from fairly ambivalent/ tolerating him as the role he has been doing has changed and it isn't an easy role to do to a position of very anti-Barry and wanting him out for the good of the club.

Would I put myself up to replace him? No, last night I resigned from a position in an extra-curricular activity I do myself as I am short of time as things stand, I've just had a promotion and have 3 courses for professional qualifications to do this year but I will try and get to any trust meetings where we can oust Barry and I will fully support anyone who puts themselves up.

It won't be an easy task for his replacement and yes, it will probably end in failure, most things in football do end in failure but Barry could salvage some credit from recent events and resign from his position in the Trust. Whether Corney would then opt to keep him on the Club's board in some capacity I have no idea, if he does, he does, I have no control over other board members.

In time Barry may come to be thought of as a man who stood up when Latics needed someone, what he has done since the Moore years has on the whole been okish. If he stays where he is much longer even that faint praise will be too much.

Thanks for that, it's been well thought out and you raise points you believe.

In there you've questioned 'a certain committee member' who've you've left nameless!

Certainly want Barry out, that's clear.

So to my mind that's two you want gone, tell me if I am wrong. What of the other's? they also form the committee.

I understand how you could say Ashley could ride anything out, he's proved that over and over. Would it then been better had Corney rode this out?

Once again a good candidate (yourself) counts himself out and this is another problem. No one wants to do it. Personally I don't blame anyone due to what I've said many times, in the end the Chair will end up like Barry in the eyes of the members.

I will consider volunteering my time, yes

Good.

What are you hoping to achieve?. What idea's and plans would you like to see implemented? and what role will you carry out to see these plans in place and working.

That is not in anyway to trip you up, nothing of the kind. How many hours work do you think this would need or indeed input and help from the rank and file?

I really do feel a brand new committee and drivers is required....

Thanks for that, it's been well thought out and you raise points you believe.

In there you've questioned 'a certain committee member' who've you've left nameless!

Certainly want Barry out, that's clear.

So to my mind that's two you want gone, tell me if I am wrong. What of the other's? they also form the committee.

I understand how you could say Ashley could ride anything out, he's proved that over and over. Would it then been better had Corney rode this out?

Once again a good candidate (yourself) counts himself out and this is another problem. No one wants to do it. Personally I don't blame anyone due to what I've said many times, in the end the Chair will end up like Barry in the eyes of the members.

Sorry Lags, I am only meaning Barry, I said that one person has let the trust down and then mentioned Barry, I should have been clearer.

If only Corney had the financial clout of Ashley, he could have ridden most things out!

I know a man, recently retired, lifelong fan, season ticket holder, lived and worked in Oldham all his life, ran a local business. He'd be ideal. I'll be seeing him later and will ask. I am 99% sure he will have no intention whatsoever to get involved!

To be honest, it's a bit like the Speaker of the House of Commons isn't it, an appropriate candidate has to be dragged to the chair.

The hardest jobs are Treasurer and Secretary IMO, the Chair needs to be a good spokesperson though.

Good.

What are you hoping to achieve?. What idea's and plans would you like to see implemented? and what role will you carry out to see these plans in place and working.

That is not in anyway to trip you up, nothing of the kind. How many hours work do you think this would need or indeed input and help from the rank and file?

I really do feel a brand new committee and drivers is required....

I would be hoping to achieve an efficiently run committee backing up a representative Chairman or a representative person who was willing to attend Board Meetings at the club acting on behalf of the Trust. That person would not need to be working 40 odd hours per week at OAFC and would not be me, as I have my own business to run which takes up more than my 40odd hours per week.

My expertise is finance but there is already a bookkeeper in place and 2 signatories are needed for cheques which should already have been in place in any such organisation. I could be that 2nd signatory and monitor that side of things.

The starting point for the Trust is its membership and obtaining a database that can be used electronically.

MInutes should be written up comprehensively within say 7 days-forget the historic minutes as time is valuable. Minutes should be emailed to all members,

The problem with what C Hill and Underdog have tried is to obtain a database from the club and then look to verify it and then think about using it.

Simply and probably crudely there should be an advert plus website invitation to ALL-to email if they want to take up their membership of the Trust.

The £5s can be collected later and ST holders are free of charge-all we would need is an email from applicants with relevant information.

That is the starting point to at least try to get people involved so then a long long list of improvements can be made with the backing of the members,

The major problem with most committees is time-there are often insignificant matters which some people want to use up a lot of that time on and it is crucial that those are passed over and perhaps delegated to one member of the Trust Board to deal with, if progress is to be made

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Is that aimed at the whole committee then? just so everyone knows if it's just Barry you think accounts for that.

I guess so, only right that everyone comes under the microscope.

Only my opinion but get the impression that plenty gets talked about at the meetings without much being acted on.

A simple thing, opening up the back of the stands at half time so people can have a smoke, should be dead easy to implement.

Instead we have stewards chasing people around like naughty kids and causing aggro.

If the Trust has no clout at all then what's the point?

Edited by deyres42

All sounds promising. But each of your points takes time, someone's time. When that time is not always available and things start to go slower then the rank and file would like, that's when the first sounds of unrest occur. As we know, the sound of discontent is the loudest.

How we you as a committee member handle when your Chair/rep on the board returns and tells you he can't tell you anything? then how do you quieten the rank and file who demand to know? These are all the problems you'll face.

It's not all plain sailing, nor do I doubt you'll not understand that.

After a few years of the above from the rank and file, you just might find yourselves in the same place that Barry Blatter is today. This is the point I've been trying to get across, some see it as me hoping you all fail, it's not!!. However if another brand new committee find the same problems, hopefully then more people will realise and be more understanding.

I guess so, only right that everyone comes under the microscope.

Only my opinion but get the impression that plenty gets talked about at the meetings without much being acted on.

A simple thing, opening up the back of the stands at half time so people can have a smoke, should be dead easy to implement.

Instead we have stewards chasing people around like naughty kids and causing aggro.

If the Trust has no clout at all then what's the point?

I guess the smoking point can be asked of the club and a straight answer to that should be straight forward.

Yes I agree, the whole committee should stand and fall together, not one man.

A good idea is a good idea... No matter where it came from.

Maybe stop seeing the "slating" and criticism as a negative thing and start viewing it as a huge swell of idea and opinion to appreciate, explore and possibly take on. Some people don't have the time to commit to being a trust director but have time to brain storm and come up with ideas. Its still a contribution.

It has to be said that a lot of you have't got thick enough skin for public positions such as the ones you hold. Public positions such as these are sometimes thankless tasks. But I also totally reject the idea that thanks and praise haven't been given at the same time.

I am quite bored of listening to some of the self pitty being expressed. Barry is doing a :censored: job in a very privilege position and that point has been justified beyond just mouthing off he is doing a :censored: job. If he or you can't handle that sort of criticism being labeled its usually best to step back from public positions.

Don't worry I've got thick enough skin.

Yes you need thinker's, but we have too many thinker's not enough do'ers.

The idea somebody posted about members having a username and password for the Trust website and being able to vote on important issues is a good one.

My views won't necessarily represent the views of the fan base as a whole nor will the views of Trust directors.

This would be a great and democratic way of the Trust being able to put forward to the club the majority view of fans on any given subject and also allows those not inclined or able to get to meetings the chance to be heard.

The Trust's (and, therefore, FANS) representative on the Oldham Athletic board doesn't & shouldn't need to be a full time job.

And I think it should be shared out annually among the people within our fanbase that would like to get involved.

What more needs to be done than other than to go along to board meetings, listen, take some notes, say what you've been asked to say on behalf of fellow Trust members when it's your turn to speak and then report back via the website?

The idea somebody posted about members having a username and password for the Trust website and being able to vote on important issues is a good one.

I have been proposing such stuff for a while. The usual (terrible) response is not all fans have access to the internet... I would imagine the vast majority do in reality and it wouldn't be hard to have alternative means to canvas opinions...

The thinking in the Trust is very much stuck in the realm of the 1970s at times... Its better to leave it to Barry to talk to people apparently...

But yeah a decent website.... What better way to have transparency as well on what the actual feelings of the fan base is...

I could waffle about how to do it all day but its deaf ears...

Edited by oafc0000

The purpose of this thread was to see if anyone was prepared to step up to be a director of the Trust and unless I have missed it, after 3 pages, nobody, outside those already involed, is.

The only way that the Trust can be modernised and turned into what many people seem to want it to be is if a number of people are prepared to put their head above the parapet and dedicate the time required to act as Trust Directors.

I think the current make-up of the Trust puts many people off as it is clearly dominated by one individual and that one individual does not want change. The fact that if you want to get rid of Barry, you need to be prepared to work with Barry is a paradox that many people seem to struggle with.

If nobody is prepared to do this then I am afraid we are stuck with what we have got.