Scunthorpe 0-1 Latics

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great result, fantastic support, the station at Scunthorpe was rocking waiting for the delayed 18.08, also good voice on the train home.

As far as the game went, I thought we looked solid defensively playing Dieng and Kelly gave us that bit of protection. Both centre backs looked comfortable and B. Wilson had his best game for a long while. Winchester for me was MOM his goal topped a full on performance which was the total opposite to Tuesday.

Up front Forte looked fully fit and worked his socks off, Wilkinson looked leggy and a couple of times took the wrong option. Forgot to mention Joe Mills is definitely our best left back.

Oldham Athletic AFC @OfficialOAFC · 5h 5 hours ago

It's the Oldham Athletic supporters who you can hear now! Some with their tops off, all loving it! What great support!

It's the Oldham boys making all the noise....

The players thank the supporters for their support today.

Conor Wilkinson @ConorWilkoo · 3h 3 hours ago

COMEONNNNNN!!!! What a result, throughly deserved it, lads were unreal and fans were class! Winchyyyyyyyyy you the man!

Alan Howarth captured Big George's appreciation of the support.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9RLl8MIIAAp_dS.jpg:large

I thought Winchester was very poor up until he scored. Not overlapping Mike Jones or tracking runners in midfield however, a moment of brilliance won us the game. Proved me wrong

Watching the goal, he has Murphy (?) on his outside screaming for the pass - so his moment of brilliance was a brave choice too - calm finish, collect three points.

Was it the same formation as Rochdale? It's about as good away performance as you can get especially when playing one of the more inform sides in the league. Clearly LJ was paying respect to Scunthorpe who have only lost 1 in 15 is it? I imagine he expected more from them I didn't think they looked that good really, not bad but nothing to shout about.

Maybe this is the formation we need to start using away, with Dieng and Kelly (sensational again) Scunthorpe hardly had a touch in the middle of the park. Dieng was getting a bit of grief near me but I thought when he stuck to his job he did okay.

Forte is a menace on that wing, especially for any balls of the top he is always looking to pinch it and run through as he did yesterday and should have scored. If there's anyone on that pitch you would want in that 1 on 1 it would be him!

Wilkinson, worked very hard, didn't win many headers against their CB who I thought bullied him a bit first half. Looks like he will go onto be a very good player but he does make a lot of strange choices and often holds onto the ball for too long. Worked his bollocks off though up top on his own which isn't easy for a big fella.

Winchester - Can we please sit down with this lad and triple his wage or something to sign an extension!

The key to playing Dieng was that it allowed Wilson and Mills to push right out to McSheffrey and Madden.

They clearly look to make the pitch wide and with only Kelly sitting it would have made it tough for us to have not been stretched. As it was, we tucked in well, pressed to the ball wide and allowed them very little space in behind our back four.

Excellent away result and performance that was always likely to be decided by a moment of excellence or a mistake. Luckily for us Winchester provided the former. Great goal and a vital 3 points.

LJ got it spot on. His changes also allowed us to progress in the final 15 minutes as we opened the game up.

On to Tuesday.....

Edited by whitey1980

great win and always good to get one over local guy Robins after all the hurt he caused us in the early 90s. stats look good too, 4-0 to Latics on shots on target plus 54% possession. am I right in thinking that they managed to close the game out without presenting our opponents with a clear chance to grab an equaliser? would make a nice change

to cut a long story short I was at Las Vegas airport whilst the game was being played, waiting on standby to see if they would let me on a flight to Portland, OR (PDX). sitting in the coffee shop I finally got to take a look at the Beeb website, saw it was 0-0 and then clicked on the match to then see that Winchester had just scored. my exclamation of "YES!" attracted a few odd looks, followed by a few more after I repeated the act complete with fist pump when it showed up as the first league one full time score of the day.

happily I also made it to PDX, where it is suitably grey, wet, cold and windy making me feel right at home. damn fine local beer too ☺️

Swindon winning bodes well for Tuesday night too. have them visiting BP feeling overconfident ...

Was it the same formation as Rochdale? It's about as good away performance as you can get especially when playing one of the more inform sides in the league. Clearly LJ was paying respect to Scunthorpe who have only lost 1 in 15 is it? I imagine he expected more from them I didn't think they looked that good really, not bad but nothing to shout about.

Maybe this is the formation we need to start using away, with Dieng and Kelly (sensational again) Scunthorpe hardly had a touch in the middle of the park. Dieng was getting a bit of grief near me but I thought when he stuck to his job he did okay.

Forte is a menace on that wing, especially for any balls of the top he is always looking to pinch it and run through as he did yesterday and should have scored. If there's anyone on that pitch you would want in that 1 on 1 it would be him!

Wilkinson, worked very hard, didn't win many headers against their CB who I thought bullied him a bit first half. Looks like he will go onto be a very good player but he does make a lot of strange choices and often holds onto the ball for too long. Worked his bollocks off though up top on his own which isn't easy for a big fella.

Winchester - Can we please sit down with this lad and triple his wage or something to sign an extension!

To be honest there were quite a few who were berating Winchester for not crossing it earlier than he did, just as he passed it with his wrong foot into the bottom corner.

I wouldn't take the moans of a few Latics fans as being indicative of how well someone plays. Heaven help us if we did that based on the bloke I sit next to at home games.

Scunny whilst not looking all that dangerous, you can see why they are on a good run, Robins is getting the best out of Madden, who our centre-halfs put in their collective pockets, their number 12, Bishop, was the best player on the pitch.

Unsurprisingly given that their recent defeat was down to losing both GKs to arm injuries in the first half, their GK looked a bit suspect. I can see Scunny doing us a few favours over the rest of the season by picking points at our play-off rivals. Let's hope they don't pick enough points to become play-off rivals themselves.

thanks for the link, an excellent goal. at last a player with the brains to pass the ball into the net! away support sounding in good form too. thanks to the others for the pics & clips.

would you believe that bbc America wasted their time showing a Star Trek NG omnibus last night rather than using their money to get special rights to show the FLS over here for once!

I thought Winchester was very poor up until he scored. Not overlapping Mike Jones or tracking runners in midfield however, a moment of brilliance won us the game. Proved me wrong

it is moments of brilliance, especially in front of goal, that I keep reading on here are what the team is most short off. providing one to win a match excuses any lack of overlapping or tracking back. plus you have to remember that in the second half he was badly affected by ShireBlue's HT pie calamity! Edited by hollinwood_pass

They were only expecting about 400 away fans, regarding the pie situation

Yet again the intelligence provided for the home side completely underestimates the travelling army. This is becoming suspicious.

OK this time it didn't really matter, apart from some people not getting a pie.

The next time, however, could be a lot more serious. But when questioned about it the first time it happened a Director of the club said "Nothing to do with us". If you can't learn from your mistakes then should you really be in a position to keep making them. It's a pity we can't :censored: him off.