Squad movements, summer 2015

The rarely-wrong Chron says DK is primed to add a coach with experience of international football.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/92149/duo-depart-athletic

York and Northern Ireland link..... Nigel Worthington?

My money is on Frank Sincair

Who is already working with the Academy Under 16's aqs part of his coaching badges (not sure which 'A' IIRC.

Frank Sinclair @FrankMSinclair May 19

Really enjoyed the @OAFCAcademy staff meeting in preparation for 2015/16 season, looking fwd to taking the U16s with Milly next season.

Edited by singe

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My money is on Frank Sincair

Who is already working with the Academy Under 16's aqs part of his coaching badges (not sure which 'A' IIRC.

Frank Sinclair ‏@FrankMSinclair May 19

Really enjoyed the @OAFCAcademy staff meeting in preparation for 2015/16 season, looking fwd to taking the U16s with Milly next season.

Still working for his A license & will only be moving to the u16s from the u12s at the start of next season. I'd save your money.

Looking at the squad numbers from last season there are many gaps now we know the full released list and players who have signed their extensions.

The following numbers are available for the squad next season.

1. Potentially Coleman

7. Potentially Croft

etc..

Squad numbers don't mean much theses days I know but looking at that, I guess Colman will take No1 and Croft No 7, I guess a couple of the lower numbers will be moved up to fill the gaps. Still leaves us very thin on the ground in regards to an experienced 1st X1 and possibly play off challenging squad.

To come in you would think the following :-

Experienced GK

Centre half possibly 2 (1 coming in on loan or academy under 21 player)

Target man striker

Kelly has stated he wants another RB

Cover at LB unless they use Brown / Truelove

Kelly has stated he is happy with the CM position unless there is money left over so maybe an academy under 21 player or post August signing.

Cover down the left for the inevitable Forte injury keeping him out 3 - 5 months of the season.

That is possibly another 6 - 8 signings.

Any other areas that people think we need to strengthen.

I've not checked, and can't be arsed to, but - am I right in thinking we've let two of our three players who've ever won promotion (Elokobi & Lockwood?) go? (B Wilson bring the 3rd) and only brought in Lee Croft who was involved in us almost being relegated the other two times he was here? :grin:

I've not checked, and can't be arsed to, but - am I right in thinking we've let two of our three players who've ever won promotion (Elokobi & Lockwood?) go? (B Wilson bring the 3rd) and only brought in Lee Croft who was involved in us almost being relegated the other two times he was here? :grin:

Jonesy was promoted with Bury. Forte played 10 games when Southampton went up.

Current squad (contracted to date)

Joel Coleman (2016)

David Cornell (2016 plus option)

Connor Brown (2017)

Timothée Dieng (2016 plus option)

George Edmundson (2016)

Joseph Mills (2016 plus option)

Jack Truelove (2016)

Brian Wilson (2016)

James Wilson (2016)

Danny Byrnes (2016 plus option)

Lee Croft (2016 plus option)

George Green (2017 plus option)

Mike Jones (2016)

Liam Kelly (2017)

Jack Tuohy (2016 plus option)

Carl Winchester (2017)

Jordan Bove (2016)

Jake Cassidy (2017 plus option)

Jonathan Forte (2016)

Devante Jacobs (youth player, offered contract)

Rhys Murphy (2017)

Danny Philliskirk (2016 plus option)

Dominic Poleon (2016)

Rhys Turner (2016)

Going or gone

James Dayton (released)

George Elokobi (turned down new contract)

Anthony Gerrard (loan ended)

Jake Kean (loan ended)

Genséric Kusunga (released)

Adam Lockwood (turned down new contract)

Jacob Mellis (loan ended)

David Mellor (released)

Amari Morgan-Smith (released)

Mat Sadler (loan ended)

Conor Wilkinson (loan ended)

Luke Woodland (loan ended)

Youth players Ryan Ellison, Callum Etches, Eddie Fulwood, Ben Grant, Emil Tansinda, Paul Tyson and Jordache Walters also released.

Edited by Crusoe

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from a centre back or two, that squad looks pretty much complete. Downside is that there's not a huge amount of experienced leaders in that squad Kelly aside. However there aren't many players there who won't be realistically fighting for a first team place. Great competition for places.

I would say its the best squad we have had since the Dowie days.

I would say it's the most settled squad we have had in a good while - minimum number of new faces coming in and having retained (so far) the good players we are bang on for a mid table finish!

Team is well capable of a top 8 finish providing either Poleon, Cassidy or Turner can become a regular goalscorer, options from the bench look very strong compared to last season.

You forgot Murphy, apparently flying in training.

80% of squad out of contract next season. Need a good year, or we will have the usual turnoved of players again next season. Looking like a decent side could be had out of that, just hope Kelly can walk the walk and get them playing consistently.

So a couple of pieces left to complete the jigsaw ahead of season start.

Squad now up in Scotland and assuming some of the trialists are with them, do you think those last remaining signings reside within that travelling squad?

Saturday was our first friendly so not a clear indication but do you think you think DK is still scouring for defenders? Just strange that last week a central defender was close to signing yet on Saturday the likes of Gunning were only on trial. Does this mean an addition hasn't played for us yet and will be signed soon?!

I'm dubious that this squad is the strongest we've had for a while. Still think we could do with another winger, definitely two defenders and I'd love another striker as you can never have enough strikers lol. Just my preference as budget is tight

80% of squad out of contract next season. Need a good year, or we will have the usual turnoved of players again next season. Looking like a decent side could be had out of that, just hope Kelly can walk the walk and get them playing consistently.

:censored: me, I'm still celebrating that 80% of the squad is the same as last season!

Lots of PL/Championship youngsters who will be available on loan for us are still at their parent club, the number of loan signings will increase steadily from now until the end of August. There may also be some players at teams at our level who are deemed surplus to requirements at their club who will be available too. We've made some nice additions, on paper, but we have also kept a much bigger nucleus of the squad from last year together.

We could get off to a very good start.

What does 'only on trial' mean? Can you not be close to signing if you play in a friendly as a trialist?

Of course but how this was portrayed in media is we have a defender close to signing but then those who played Saturday were on trial and post-match comments was that most of trialists may be moved on as they didn't perform as expected.

Just odd that were close to signing a defender which implies that he doesn't need to trial whereas those who played Saturday are implied to be having to prove themselves for a contract. The implication suggests that the 'close to signing' defender didn't play?!

Not really. We all know the obvious reason teams don't like to name players until they are actually signed up. When we submitted our team sheet it was probably felt that 'trialist' was better, easier and a lot less silly than 'defender who is close to signing for us'