Attacking, creative and attractive football

Kelly starts his role officially June 1st (wasn't explained why yesterday as sooner the better for me) and has promised a commitment to attacking, creative and attractive football.

Of the current contracted squad, how many do you believe can deliver this for us?

We need wingers, another creative spark or two in the middle and strikers who can create and score...a complete overhaul by some kinds of it. That's just the final two-thirds as we need defenders to shore up our leaky defence too.

Mission impossible this season?!

Thoughts?

Kelly starts his role officially June 1st (wasn't explained why yesterday as sooner the better for me) and has promised a commitment to attacking, creative and attractive football.

Of the current contracted squad, how many do you believe can deliver this for us?

We need wingers, another creative spark or two in the middle and strikers who can create and score...a complete overhaul by some kinds of it. That's just the final two-thirds as we need defenders to shore up our leaky defence too.

Thoughts?

Poleon seems to have found some form with a run in the team. Stick his pace next to a fox in the box and that could be a good combination if Kelly chooses to play 2 up top.

Can't see us getting Gerrard on a permanent deal so will be vital to keep hold of Wilson and try and bring another in given we have released Kusunga. Keeping Elokobi fit could also prove vital.

Thoughts?

Is that because it will save a months wages?

We have creative players in midfield in jones and Winchester. We need a striker on the same wavelength as these two. One who makes clever runs but isn't always offside, a Matt Derbyshire type of player if you want a comparison.

A dynamic right back, a true box to box central midfielder, real competition for left midfield, at least one striker with some guile and presence.

Winchester is many things but I wouldn't call him all action, if selling him funds a couple of new signings I could see that happening.

He said in the press conference golden has been working for the last few weeks on a few things they have talked about. Possibly why we had a couple of games where they just didnt turn up. Having influence over the last few weeks i would have thought he would have a say on the kusunga situation as well. Soundsd like its been a done deal for a while to me

Dickov said the same, Johnson said the same and both reverted to defensive football in desperation that their teams couldn't pick up enough points playing the desired way. What a rookie manager thinks he can achieve and what is achievable are two totally different things.

I think we do have the players for that style. Poleon, Forte, Jones and Winchester are all midfielders with attacking instincts. Philly will need to improve on his stats but Turner impressed and Murphy with a full pre-season behind him will be a different beast.

What we could add is an attacking right back, who is more able going forwards than Connor Brown and Brian Wilson - someone like Joe Mills - and another striker who may be more of a target man. A couple of new centre backs may mean we have less to spend on those positions than we'd hope.

Talk of a 'complete overhaul' is nonsense.

Edited by NewBlue

A dynamic right back, a true box to box central midfielder, real competition for left midfield, at least one striker with some guile and presence.

Winchester is many things but I wouldn't call him all action, if selling him funds a couple of new signings I could see that happening.

I do tend to agree! Last Sunday B Wilson put in 4 crosses in the first 10 minutes, then none for the next 80 minutes, whats going on there?

He said in the press conference golden has been working for the last few weeks on a few things they have talked about. Possibly why we had a couple of games where they just didnt turn up. Having influence over the last few weeks i would have thought he would have a say on the kusunga situation as well. Soundsd like its been a done deal for a while to me

Yep, agree with this... when he said something along the lines of "I've spoken to Dean a few times and we know we're going into the training ground together with some strong ideas" Corney looked over towards Kelly as if to say don't tell them anymore... Seeing as though he only found out Thursday/Friday.

Dickov said the same, Johnson said the same and both reverted to defensive football in desperation that their teams couldn't pick up enough points playing the desired way. What a rookie manager thinks he can achieve and what is achievable are two totally different things.

I think we do have the players for that style. Poleon, Forte, Jones and Winchester are all midfielders with attacking instincts. Philly will need to improve on his stats but Turner impressed and Murphy with a full pre-season behind him will be a different beast.

What we could add is an attacking right back, who is more able going forwards than Connor Brown and Brian Wilson - someone like Joe Mills - and another striker who may be more of a target man. A couple of new centre backs may mean we have less to spend on those positions than we'd hope.

This all the way for me.

Its not that broke, a couple of astute signing in the right areas and we will have the right kind of squad to challenge for the top ten, the rest will be up to the manager.

How many managers come in and say "I am here to create a dour, resolute team that might be boring but will be hard to beat?".

I think his comments are pretty much Rule 101 of Football Management Press Conferences. The thing is that at the end of the day fans, and chairman, want attacking open football but only if you can do it and win.

It is a rare set of circumstanes that a team has enough attacking flair and abilities that it can win sufficiently enough games against teams that set out to stop you, that this style can work. Those of us around to see the Royle teams of the late 80s early 90s saw one of those rare times.

I don't see our current bunch of players being good enough in an attacking sense (most of them seem scared of shooting) for this style to work for us for a while.

THis I agree. Like you say what they say, and then do can be different to scrape a win.

But yes, no overhaul.

They both talked of 4,5,6 new players and that is about right. Some would ahve left anyway, new manager of not.

How many managers come in and say "I am here to create a dour, resolute team that might be boring but will be hard to beat?".

I think his comments are pretty much Rule 101 of Football Management Press Conferences. The thing is that at the end of the day fans, and chairman, want attacking open football but only if you can do it and win.

It is a rare set of circumstanes that a team has enough attacking flair and abilities that it can win sufficiently enough games against teams that set out to stop you, that this style can work. Those of us around to see the Royle teams of the late 80s early 90s saw one of those rare times.

I don't see our current bunch of players being good enough in an attacking sense (most of them seem scared of shooting) for this style to work for us for a while.

Its up to the manager to get players to play in an attacking style, if some of the present players cant adapt he should move them on and find players who will.

Edited by BP1960

Brown, Mills and B Wilson will all overlap if allowed to tactically.

Jones and Winchester are box to box midfielders waiting to be let of the leash.

Poleon and Turner can run at players, as can Philliskirk if he gets his mojo back.

I think we lack a physical presence up front but the bulk of this squad can deliver exciting and attacking football.

If they're allowed to.

Brown, Mills and B Wilson will all overlap if allowed to tactically.

Jones and Winchester are box to box midfielders waiting to be let of the leash.

Poleon and Turner can run at players, as can Philliskirk if he gets his mojo back.

I think we lack a physical presence up front but the bulk of this squad can deliver exciting and attacking football.

If they're allowed to.

Agreed. As DK has said nucleus of a good side is already in place. Just needs a few additions and moulding of a brand/style that can be attractive and succesful

Its up to the manager to get players to play in an attacking style, if some of the present players cant adapt he should move them on and find players who will.

It sounds great but remember when Johnson first came?

We played some of the most exciting football I've seen us play since Royle. But we kept losing.

Just shows he didnt have the players capable of maintaining it, instead of abandoning the attacking style he should have recruited players who could make it work.

Obtaining the players that can play attacking football of a high enough standard that they will score more goals than they concede often enough that you don't worry is something that many clubs cannot afford to do.

Not sure whether it is feasible without amazing judgement and a large degree of luck to achieve this when you have a budget smaller than more than half of the league.

As I said JR achieved it by somehow finding the jems from others discarded rejects. But the last 25 years has shown how rare that feat is, not just for Oldham but for most clubs. Its what makes the 'pinch me' years so special; what made the Crazy Gang etc.

And doing it once is hard, but a club our size would have to keep doing it as any decent players will move on to a higher club.

I am all for the aspiration of attacking, free flowing football, but in reality we have to accept realism and the need to avoid relegation will probably come to bare. The overly popular Dowie ground results out whilst he was here, realsing that was the best way of getting success.

I see Kelly is looking for 2 pacy wingers........maybe he has been on here and listened to you BP1960?

The only problem is a L1 pacy winger generally has one fundamental problem......they can't cross a ball for toffee or they would be playing higher up the leagues.

And after all we have about as good a record with wingers over the last few as we do with strikers!