Ben Purkiss

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another right back? We don't need 3 first teamers on the books do we?

....that was my immediate reaction... however, it would serve us all well to reserve judgement. Very few people had anything positive to say when LJ signed Lockwood, however that proved to be a good decision.

A little reading on this young man suggests he has some substance. After being released by Sheff Utd as a youngster, he went to University to study and lived in France as part of his degree, during which time he played semi professionally. After playing for both Oxford and Hereford in the 4th tier, Walsall gave him a contract and he stayed there for 3 years, so he can't have been bad. I think Dean Smith is a very good manager at our level, he's kept Walsall competitive for much the last 4 seasons and seems to constantly find strikers we are crying out for, Grigg, Bradshaw to name but two.

Purkiss is apparently an attacking full back.... thus fits into the wing back / overlapping full back description we believe DK might want to play.... and I think we all know Connor Brown and Brian Wilson aren't really capable of.

It does seem a waste of precious resource to have 3 contracted right backs however, so if true [Mike Keegan and the Daily Mail might not be correct] and we do sign him, one assumes one of the other two would be off.... my guess woudl be Brian Wilson.

Brian Wilson is poor and Brown isn't great either, so it's hardly surprising we're going for a right back, especially one that is noted for passing and vision, which both of them struggle with most

Whether he is any better than the current two you would certainly have to question; this thread on Walsall's forum is quite split but one rates him as one of their picks for POTY, and Walsall always tend to have a good defence:

http://www.upthesaddlers/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46481&sid=673aff795b78c830ecd608d77da32a89

From what I'm reading about him I get the feeling if we're playing a back 3 Purkiss would be the middle one, who can pass it about a bit - a few on that forum think he should be playing a defensive midfield position, then we'd have Elokobi one side, assuming he signs the contract and Wilson on the other

Edited by NewBlue

People on this board have a far greater indepth knowledge of the qualities of lower league players than I do.

That, or else they jump to conclusions based on the fact (1) They haven't heard of them or (2) They have played for a so called 'lesser' club / been released by someone else. This is of course very unlikely.

Teams of our stature are generally successful when they get something out of a player or group of players that others haven't seen in them. Some of our better players have been the ones that we had no expectations of when they arrived.