Ben Purkiss

No, just someone released by a Prem/Champ club. Not a :censored:e League One club.

I can think of another right back we picked up for free becasue a club at the same level as us didnt think he was up to it.....?

Another fave wasnt wanted by Tranmere after an average season in this league. been in the news recently.....?

only idiots judge players before they have seen them play

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, just someone released by a Prem/Champ club. Not a :censored:e League One club.

A couple of examples:

Trotman was equally chastised at the time we signed him. Played really well and then sold for £500k.

I remember signing Michael "he's played Champions League football" Clegg and being completely underwhelmed.

Past performance is not necessaily a guarantee of future performance in football. It happens at all levels. We are more likely to be signing players that have something to prove...

Past performance is not necessaily a guarantee of future performance in football. It happens at all levels.

Indeed. Look what happened to Torres when he went to Chelsea. Who would have expected that? It works t' other way too. There's been enough Latics players who were branded as crap, but went on to bigger and better things.

Except Warren Feeney.

From a Walsall fan:

"I expected Purkiss to be :censored:, but he turned out to be an excellent cheap right back. Got forward well, decent in the air and can play centre back. Nice bloke. Won the community award twice here. Virtually every Walsall fan I've spoken to thinks his release was very harsh.

Can be skinned by a quick tricky winger and occasionally should close his man down and make a tackle. Generally a 7/10 kind of player each week, with the odd mare against a good oppo winger. Solid player."

From a Walsall fan:

"I expected Purkiss to be :censored:, but he turned out to be an excellent cheap right back. Got forward well, decent in the air and can play centre back. Nice bloke. Won the community award twice here. Virtually every Walsall fan I've spoken to thinks his release was very harsh.

Can be skinned by a quick tricky winger and occasionally should close his man down and make a tackle. Generally a 7/10 kind of player each week, with the odd mare against a good oppo winger. Solid player."

A right sided Jonathan Grounds,that should be ok.

“Maybe it’s wrong but I want it to be about the players being ambitious. Come here talking money and to me that’s a weakness of mind. People have families and I get that. But if someone I am talking to is totally money-oriented, that worries me. You need that desire to succeed.

“When you stop playing, people don’t ask how much money you made in the game. They will ask you what you won."

Trouble with that is its likely those in our price bracket wont give a toss about trophies as never likely to win any.... so want the best £ deal they can get. Look at Simpson as a wasted footballer. Obvious talent but lacks the drive likes the cash.

Very idealistic/naive talk from him but I suppose that's all he's got going for him at this time.

But to me, that is about as basic as you can get. If a player came talking about money, why would you touch him with a barge pole?

And his agent would surely indicate that beforehand. Anyone still talking about money at the discussion stage, other than maybe fine tuning, should be shown the door.

Or is that to deflect when we don't sign anyone that we have remotely heard of.

Worse, any player now knows what he wants so will give him the speel anyway.

Kelly confirms Purkiss is one of a number of right backs on the radar (we already have 2?)

Also says he won't be bringing Woodland back and is looking for a new central defender and centre forward

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/92225/purkiss-on-kellys-radar

Kelly only wants quality, yet is interested in a payer released by another L1 club. Won't pay for Woodland whom he says would not be a regular. Maybe, but he could command a fee in the future. Wants to spend his budget on centre back and centre forward. OK but we can't afford the quality needed up front.

i thought we weren't playing right backs but were switching to that crap 3-4-1-2 formation? In which case, why do we need four (Croft, Wilson, Brown and now Purkiss) right wing-backs?

I hope he ditches the formation before he starts building around it. I really can't stand it. It almost alway becomes a 5-3-2 (and very boring) or you get really exposed down the flanks because of the space. Players at this level or not able to play a sopisticated style. I mean, look what happned to Liverpool last season. it worked for about a month. United tried it, and they looked like :censored:. No, teams like ours need to keep it relatively simple.

But to me, that is about as basic as you can get. If a player came talking about money, why would you touch him with a barge pole?

And his agent would surely indicate that beforehand. Anyone still talking about money at the discussion stage, other than maybe fine tuning, should be shown the door.

Or is that to deflect when we don't sign anyone that we have remotely heard of.

Worse, any player now knows what he wants so will give him the speel anyway.

You can probably take it as code for we won't be in the market for the top shelf players.

Which is fine, we all understand that, but he's giving out a slightly mixed message here for me - you won't get the quality you need to challenge if you won't pay that extra 500-800 quid a week for a Leon Clarke/Gary Roberts type.

You can probably take it as code for we won't be in the market for the top shelf players.

Which is fine, we all understand that, but he's giving out a slightly mixed message here for me - you won't get the quality you need to challenge if you won't pay that extra 500-800 quid a week for a Leon Clarke/Gary Roberts type.

Extra 500-800 for Leon Clarke ? Id say he is on 4k minimum and thats probably double our top earner.

Extra 500-800 for Leon Clarke ? Id say he is on 4k minimum and thats probably double our top earner.

Just used him as a example.

Players will be being touted around to all the L1 and L2 clubs, it's very noble to think that he will buy into your 'vision' but that won't matter if a team down the road is willing to pay the going rate.

I'm not mad on the idea of waiting until the end of August to put your squad together either but we shall see.

Just used him as a example.

Players will be being touted around to all the L1 and L2 clubs, it's very noble to think that he will buy into your 'vision' but that won't matter if a team down the road is willing to pay the going rate.

I'm not mad on the idea of waiting until the end of August to put your squad together either but we shall see.

I totally agree and believe it or not Bury are probably a more appealing option to many players if they were given the choice, add a rookie manager into the mix and our history of finishing in the lower half of League 1 then its not suprising that we may be fighting over scraps.

I totally agree and believe it or not Bury are probably a more appealing option to many players

The facilities alone at Carrington will turn heads. That and the opportunity to be in the same place as European teams when they train there for the champions league may be a decider for some!

Edited by thetramdriver

"I'm good, you know I'm good too that's why you want me. I want a decent wage and assurances you'll also be keeping your best players and signing me some more decent team mates"

Can we not sign a few players with that attitude?

Like Daniel Johnson!!!

I totally agree and believe it or not Bury are probably a more appealing option to many players if they were given the choice, add a rookie manager That hardly anyone has heard of into the mix and our history of finishing in the lower half of League 1 then its not suprising that we may be fighting over scraps.

FIFY!

From today's chron.....

"Much depends on the men he can bring in — a right-back, commanding centre-back and centre-forward are among the priorities."

Why is a right back a priority? It simply isn't a priority.....! We have 2 contracted full professionals in that position.....! I hope this is just lazy journalism......!