Ryan Hiwat PSV winger

There is a case to be made that playershare money should only be used to fund a transfer fee or wage.

I agree. Given that most trials come to nothing, this was always likely to end with questions as to why Playershare was funding his flights. Also, I think it sits outside of the scope of what most contributors think they are donating their money for.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Given that most trials come to nothing, this was always likely to end with questions as to why Playershare was funding his flights. Also, I think it sits outside of the scope of what most contributors think they are donating their money for.

I pretty much agree with this.

I would imagine this is the first call on funds for a taxi fare, air fare or similar.

So no problem they made the call with best of intentions, but yes, I'd imaigine most would prefer not to have it used because of the low return as you state. It's precious money.

But I do think that there should be some sort of indication from more of the membership than taking a sounding off here from the posts so far. I supect th result would be a resounding vote for wages only though, even though that is a risk in itself.

As fans it is important to get a signing that does well and gives us buy in to get more contributions.

To this end, I'd like the scheme to inlude a clause where Playershares get its money back after certain threshold of a transfer fee (say, Undisclosed!!!)

Edited by singe

£250 really??? If that's the case I'm pleased that he has managed to get himself a trial at another club as that is taking the piss, he wouldn't even be on minimum wage some weeks with a couple of away trips on the road.

Is the club really that much on its arse?

It looks like it would of been a signing funded entirely by playershare contributions with those figures, Its staggering to think that in 2015 we are looking to offer professional footballers such a measly amount of money to play for our club.

Plenty are on more than £250 a week, I know average players who play in level 6 who are on £200 retainers with an extra £70 per match played. Most if not all these players have full time jobs as well.

Danny Webber is being payed a reputed £800 a week at a similar level at Salford.

Edited by yarddog73

That's the going rate for players with something to prove. James Wilson started on something similar when he joined & the situation will probably be the same for younger squad members. What we offer is league one football and an opportunity for players to progress & get rewarded later (albeit possibly elsewhere).

Is it not just a case of offering him the chance to play in England and show what he can do? But we weren't really that bothered about signing him so offered him a low amount on the off chance that he maybe daft enough to sign for that...

Doubt we've got many players apart from first year proffesionals that have come through the youth system that are on less than £600 pw.

That's the going rate for players with something to prove. James Wilson started on something similar when he joined & the situation will probably be the same for younger squad members. What we offer is league one football and an opportunity for players to progress & get rewarded later (albeit possibly elsewhere).

James Wilson, who'd played in the Championship and been capped by Wales, signed for £250pw? Of course he did...

Edited by dec666

Chron reporting that we were looking to offer in the region of £250 pw if trial was a success rather than the £700-900 that the players agent believes they were quoted, hence they chose to move on.

How did it even get past first base discussion?

Surely the club should know what demands were, and, more imnportantly, the player and agent should know what is on offer.

Due dilligence not done here. On any of the three parties.

James Wilson, who'd played in the Championship, signed for £250pw? Of course he did...

James Wilson who had barely featured for months at Bristol before he did a month on loan at Cheltenham who then didn't keep him on subsequently? He needed to kick start his career & we were about to sell Tarky so he started on a low basic whilst he proved himself. What's so unbelievable about that?

James Wilson who had barely featured for months at Bristol before he did a month on loan at Cheltenham who then didn't keep him on subsequently? He needed to kick start his career & we were about to sell Tarky so he started on a low basic whilst he proved himself. What's so unbelievable about that?

Everything. James Wilson on £13k. No way.

That's the going rate for Ryman Prem part time players.

I bet a few Mossley players are on that.

Edited by singe

Tarky's first pro contract was £600 a week, the one he signed before he went to Brentford was for £1000 a week. He now earns more than 4x that amount in the Championship.

Most of our first year pro's will be on £400 surely?

Edited by yarddog73

Tarky's first pro contract was £600 a week, the one he signed before he went to Brentford was for £1000 a week. He now earns more than 4x that amount in the Championship.

That's surprising as 1st year pro's at Oldham are on around £200 per week.