Who's leaving?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

':censored:' player moves to higher level shocker??

Surely not.

I think the frustrating thing here is we paid good money for this one and never even really gave him a showing... Sounds like he is one that needs developing and DK realises one thing he hasn't got is time!! Edited by Blue_Guru

Selling Poleon for 50k would represent a terrible bit of business all round.

Spent 100k on a player who was basically just potential, and had a year left on his contract. Not having patience with him when he inevitably became frustrating. When he shows a bit of form, sell him for half of what we bought him for. Classic Latics.

I don't believe that Latics have spent £100k on any player for a good number of years.

Read a tweet and take it as gospel - Classic OWTBs

Tweet, plus reported in the Chron a Champ club was interested, plus the general feeling we need to ship out a striker.

When did he show a bit of form?

Scored 3 in his last 4 league games, and was generally dangerous.

I don't believe that Latics have spent £100k on any player for a good number of years.

Fair enough, I thought that was the figure. Just checked Chron, they said it was 50k, my mistake. Still think we should be making a profit on a player after giving him a year of football. Leeds will probably have a sell-on fee, too.

Tweet, plus reported in the Chron a Champ club was interested, plus the general feeling we need to ship out a striker.

Fair enough, I thought that was the figure. Just checked Chron, they said it was 50k, my mistake. Still think we should be making a profit on a player after giving him a year of football. Leeds will probably have a sell-on fee, too.

If they've got a sell on fee when we're allegedly selling him for the same fee we paid somebody wants shooting.

The Chron may have said a Champ club may be interested but who came up with the 50k selling fee?

Poleon is not an easy one for me.

Clearly he has pace, and I think he backs that up with a pretty decent work rate and shows flashes of perhaps being a decent striker (the smattering of goals near the end of the season hints at this).

I can see the temptation to keep him and see if we can develop him to being a regular goal scorer - plus he is still the type of player than when he has the ball at his feet running towards goal gets you out of your seat a little.

That said, we spent money on him (something we rarely do) and as yet he has not really justified that expense. We could gamble that he develops this season and we get the player we hoped for, but risk him never quite turning the promise into output and be left at the end of the season with a player out of contract, not worth anything, and considered to be surplus to requirements.

The alternative is to say we spent £50k, it hasn't had an immediate return, we can recoup that money now and look for somewhere else to spend it.

Its a gamble. Are we willing to bet £50k that Dominic turns into the type of player we want to keep in the next 6 months? With our precarious financial position it is not that easy to answer.

Selling Poleon for 50k would represent a terrible bit of business all round.

Spent 100k on a player who was basically just potential, and had a year left on his contract. Not having patience with him when he inevitably became frustrating. When he shows a bit of form, sell him for half of what we bought him for. Classic Latics.

At the time The Chron suggested Latics paid Leeds £50k for Poleon.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/87755/down-to-the-wire

Everyone agreed to take Sheff Utd out of the equation. 4 games is hard to call form.

He was dangerous at Crawley too. Like I said I don't think he's :censored:, but you can't ignore the 3 in 41 for the rest of the season. If the decsion is made, then that would bea reasonable factor.

DH is stil Asst Mgr, so you would have expected that if he has confidence in Poleon he would have been able to persuade Kelly he could become good.

His Sheff Utd goals came during a spell where he'd already been pulling his tripe out for weeks when a lot of his team mates hadn't.

He seems popular with the other players too,

I think it would be a mistake to let him go but not the end of the world.

If it meant we could then hang on to Forte, Kelly, Jones etc.... it would make some sense.

Be suprised if he goes thought last few games he came on alot looked enoucraging if he stays fit can see him being a key player. The impression from the awards night is that he is well like within the squad.

However suppose its simliar to JCH if we can get fee means keeping other players while bringing someone else in i can see the logic.