Bury 1-1 Oldham

I thought Philiskirk played very well today.

He did. Showed his football brain. Only thing I thought held him back perhaps was that he backed out of a few tackles which Kelly and Jones would have taken the man and ball. Needs to add that something into his game if he's going to be a sitting, passing midfielder.

Nevertheless, both him and Dieng played well. Looked well balanced as a side and with those chances put away it would have been a routine victory.

Mayor for Bury looked a player.

What's the 'We Love You' chant you're on about, Anthony?

Edited by NewBlue

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree on philiskirk, played very well today. Completed the Kelly role perfectly, imagine Forte our wide running onto the through balls that David Dunn has been supplying?? Perfection, get it sorted Daz!

Dieng again showing his ability, did Brown play that well? Could have given a penalty away - was his usual decent performance but no special mention today.

Thought atmosphere today was better than Rochdale last season. Bury didn't really make much of one, they just had a massive drum. As for the game thought it was very even both teams had chances but it thought we should have been out of sight before they scored their goal. Jones had time to compose himself and Wilson should have scored but he's a defender. Also thought croft should have hit it instead of passing to simonas.

All in all a draw was a fair result even though I was disappointed by it. We are looking like we did under Ronnie Moore hard to beat but playing unattractive football.

We should have won - no 2 ways about it. James Wilson was excellent but it does concern me that he was the only one brave enough to go beyond Forte on that counter attack.

That looked to me like a training ground ploy. If I see more of James Wilson in a one on one with the opposition 'keeper, I'll die a happy man.

Our central midfield was none existent. We couldn't get a foothold in the middle of the park at all which led to Bury being able to mount a fair bit of pressure on us, especially in the second half. We were brilliant out wide and managed to get enough crosses in, we just didn't have enough bodies in the box to cause them any problems and no out and out striker to challenge their keeper enough.

Can't really grumble too much at the draw even though we should have took more of our chances. They were generally in top for the last 30 mins and we relied on counter attacking football which we weren't bad at. I just don't see why Kelly didn't bring on Poleon for his pace when it was apparent that we were going to have to counter it seemed quite an obvious sub really. Let's face it, if Crofty was still able to beat his man after 80 mins surely Poleon would have breezed by them.

It was a good match though.

Edited by PlayItLivo

An enjoyable day when the aims of our manager were met by the team with the exception of finishing. Forte is not a number nine but Stan could be. Stan was so obviously delighted to be on that he ran too far and wide - pity he missed the tap in.

I don't know what the lad did but the decision to dive into the crowd and extract him was not a good one. The stewards and police were no doubt up for it and the pushing and shoving when other fans joined in gave them great pleasure with the opportunity to hit some more people. If that was model policing then they have the wrong model.

Connor is still a problem in that he goes from very poor to very good and still can't do anything well when he has time to think which leads to the pass back or lump forward. For example Croft teed him up for a cross and he just passed the ball back to Croft who had two men round him with Stan in the middle thinking why no cross. The weakness of our team remains the full backs because of their size and inconsistency.

Ding looks a better centre back than Burn but also played well in the holding role. It will be difficult for teams to stop us because the formation allows us to attack across the width of the pitch. Fun times ahead!

The shape of the team at the final whistle was much better. Two proper wingers Jones back inside where he belongs and in his post match interview Kelly suggested he wants forte playing off the big lad. It'll be interesting to see how he sets up in the two forthcoming home games.

Overall I'm disappointed we haven't won the game but the performance was the best since Walsall. However rather like Colchester we've not been clinical enough a good start should be an excellent one with his having four more points.

A more clinical side would have won 3 or 4-1 yesterday so it is the same old failings letting us down. There are s lot of similarities to our start in Shez's first season - a shortage of goals and lots of good football. Let's hope sooner or later one of our strikers 'clicks' ala porter.

It'll be interesting to see what plays out in the market this week....

Edited by oafcprozac

A fun day out.

Thought overall we defended well, Burn continues to impress at centre half and Special Mention deserves a special mention. Although it was disappointing to concede when we did.

As has been said, Dieng was very impressive and DP worked hard in an unfamiliar role. I'm not keen on the 4-2-3-1 and we need to go 2 up front, but the midfield 3 did their best getting forward, however they were too often squeezed into the corners.

Police are :censored:ing daft and it's no wonder it kicked off.

Edited by ShireBlue

A fun day out.

Thought overall we defended well, Burn continues to impress at centre half and Special Mention deserves a special mention. Although it was disappointing to concede when we did.

As has been said, Dieng was very impressive and DP worked hard in an unfamiliar role. I'm not keen on the 4-2-3-1 and we need to go 2 up front, but the midfield 3 did their best getting forward, however they were too often squeezed into the corners.

Police are :censored:ing daft and it's no wonder it kicked off.

1 up front away from home is fine for me, we created plenty of opportunities yesterday and looked solid across the team.

It's at home where we need to see some improvement, I'd prefer two, but if it's still one we need to play with much more intensity than we did against Shrewsbury.

One negative for me was Forte and Phili both backed out of 50/50's on a few occasions. Not something I want to see in a derby. Anyone else know why Philli didn't shoot too in the box and like a hot potato he threw it right badly to whoever passed to him?!

Ps what the :censored: was that wall about in first half? Wilson and burn marking no one and all our smallest players making up the wall!!

Connor is still a problem in that he goes from very poor to very good and still can't do anything well when he has time to think which leads to the pass back or lump forward. For example Croft teed him up for a cross and he just passed the ball back to Croft who had two men round him with Stan in the middle thinking why no cross. The weakness of our team remains the full backs because of their size and inconsistency.

Not sure why you've picked out Brown. Put in some very good crosses that Cassidy may well have converted. We all know he's limited but he had a 6/7 out of 10 game once again, and doesn't try to do things that he can't.

We've conceded the second fewest and have scored the second fewest, so I would suggest our first priority isn't the full backs, both were decent yesterday against the second top scorers, whose goal was poor from the two centre halves, if anything, and that aside hardly even got into our area.

If we could upgrade on Brown for cheap then of course you would, but I don't think it's anywhere near urgent.

The shooting thing has always been a problem with philliskirk and its crept in with others to...sometimes we delay a shot too long and then shoot when a man has closed them down.

Im not saying shoot at every opportunity but occasionally, fire one in!

In a post i made yesterday about forte, i wasnt criticising, he worked relatively hard but he did back out of a couple challanges and i genuinlly think hes lacking pace. Saying 'uninterested' was only a suggestion as to why this may be the case.

As a striker he cant be on his own for me. He'd be much better as the left winger pushing on. I have no issues with him up there as a two. He lacks the 'killer' instict for me to be our sole striker.

I though whoever said SS didnt really get in the game was a bit harsh. Should have scored but showed glimpses of decent movement and touch considering he only met the squad friday!

Philliskirk is a product of over coaching like so many ex premier league kids. Watch any game and they all take way too many touches the breed of instant finisher is dying a death slowly - number one aim now is ball retention and game management whatever the hell that means but players are terrified of giving away possession and always take the easy option. Sadly this philosophy is creeping down the leagues.