Bury 1-1 Oldham

BUT I still think Philli is our most natural finisher at the club and is wasted on CM...

Forte must be our best finisher...

Philly is erratic I think. Shoots a lot but doesn't score a lot. Liable to missing good chances at times, looks very natural at other times.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coleman - did the job required

Brown - I thought he was disappointing, especially on their goal.

Mills - much better

Burn - decent

Wilson - decent but really should have wrapped up the points

Dieng - excellent

Jones - disappointing despite good work rate

Dunn - a treat to watch

Croft - excellent and creative

Philliskirk - surely he's the one who should be making the penalty area? Agree with

Prozac's assessment.

Forte - did well overall. Should have had a goal. Needs more support. Under hit the ball to put Wilson away.

Dunn a class above. Croft so much more positive today. Could and should have been more - had so many more chances than them, and it felt like the goal was their only meaningful shot.

Does Pope always score against us? Feels that way.

Jones isn't a winger, don't play him there. Yeates and Stan didn't particularly impress when they came on - too many loose passes.

Best we've played since Walsall, but you have to be getting 3 points when you dominate.

I thought Stan did quite well for a first game, he should have buried his chance though.

Philiskirk a natural striker/finisher?

Sorry but no way - if he was he'd be hungry for goals not someone who never bombs on to get on the end of a possible cross, someone who is hesitant about getting shots in, and someone is obviously not greedy to get to the ball before defenders.

Coached out of him? Impossible to say but there are many players of his age who are more goal hungry. Maybe he's just too nice a bloke and doesn't have the edge to him that's required .

For me , wherever he plays, he has to improve the percentage of headers he wins, and be more confident and adventurous in his passing. Currently he's the master of the 5/10 yard ball - but I'm sure he can do more and look for the pass that switches direction, wrong footing the other team and spreads the play 25, 35, 40 yards.

He just doesn't have enough pace to be effective up front at this level. Mould him into a holding midfielder I'd say.

If that point was made about Philly it is actually very accurate

Pace is over rated at this level.

Nouse & finishing are of far more value - surely we've learnt that over all these years of having so many pacy forwards with single figure goalscoring records.....?

Even Forte's pace wasn't that great a factor in his 15 goals last season.... Nouse, positioning, finishing was...

Edited by HarryBosch

Nouse & finishing are of far more value - surely we've learnt that over all these years of having so many pacy forwards with single figure goalscoring records.....?

Even Forte's pace wasn't that great a factor in his 15 goals last season.... Nouse, positioning, finishing was...

Pawel's Law too.

Beckett and Hughes weren't blessed with pace and neither was Porter, pace is useful but certainly not as useful as nouse, positioning and finishing are.

Pawel's Law too.

Beckett and Hughes weren't blessed with pace and neither was Porter, pace is useful but certainly not as useful as nouse, positioning and finishing are.

Correct. We could do with a Like Beckett to do nothing for 90 minutes but score.

Correct. We could do with a Like Beckett to do nothing for 90 minutes but score.

That's like wanting a big centre back who is :censored: at everything except heading the ball. Chris Porter was as good at scoring as Beckett and other people also scored more goals when he played

Brown was average, but at fault for the build up to the goal. However if Burn steps out then their lad is offside, so a few people switched off for it. Dieng was fantastic, as was Croft even though I havent been impressed with his return, he showed more than just running around a lot on Saturday. James Wilson and Jon Burn could prove to be the difference between bottom and top half, they look really comfortable together. Wilson is a class above. David Dunn provided comedy in the first half, and then was an absolute joy in the 20 minutes of the second half where he just ran the game, excellent to watch.

Philiskirk will give you 7 out of ten in any position, and I though he looked the part in holding mid again Saturday, but would still like to accomodate Jones in Centre mid where he belongs, as he is imo our most effective central midfielder and wasted out wide.

Forte looked a touch better, and grabbed an assist, but he is still too much of a soft arse for me who doesnt look interested in any sort of confrontation, thought he should have hit first time when he went through (think it was the chance where Philli eventually shat himself in front of goal). Maybe Forte lacks a bit of confidence at the minute with his injury, but he needs to shape up a bit if he is going to continue up top.

Still wondering how we didnt win that game, and how we actually lost that second half!

I was assuming that Welsh gaz was talking about pace over the first 3 or 4 yards which is everything at any level. Pace over 30/40 yards =Poleon=:censored:e

• 2 months later...