David Dunn takes interim charge

Is that how you really see the table? Calling the Donny game a six pointer may have come across a bit dramatic but looking at our fixtures over the next month or so it was certainly a good chance to get three points against easier opponents.

That's exactly how the table is, 3 wins could see us as high as 4th. I'm not saying that will happen but this game changes from week to week & Dunn will be trying to change things for the positive. That could happen Saturday, it may take 5 games or he may be gone in 7 games. I'm not going to judge him off 1 game without defeat though because that would be stupid.

If we have no strikers in by Saturday I will pissed like everyone else but I'm willing to give him time. More time than DK got...

There are no great teams in this league and I think for once it's unanimous that we have a decent squad. Form and confidence is temporary and I've watched Latics enough to know I wouldnt be surprised if we smash those plastics at weekend.

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly how the table is, 3 wins could see us as high as 4th. I'm not saying that will happen but this game changes from week to week & Dunn will be trying to change things for the positive. That could happen Saturday, it may take 5 games or he may be gone in 7 games. I'm not going to judge him off 1 game without defeat though because that would be stupid.

If we have no strikers in by Saturday I will pissed like everyone else but I'm willing to give him time. More time than DK got...

There are no great teams in this league and I think for once it's unanimous that we have a decent squad. Form and confidence is temporary and I've watched Latics enough to know I wouldnt be surprised if we smash those plastics at weekend.

Haha, 3 wins and we go 4th? Is that if the rest of the teams dont play?

After 8 games we are 10 points behind the great powerhouse that is Burton Albion, thats despite being unbeaten for our first five league games.

For me and I think I am being realistic here October is stacked with tough games and we could well find ourselves bottom of the table at some stage, we are the only team without a win in their last six games and we sit three points off the bottom, I know which way I'm looking.

Every :censored:er knows which way you are looking as you post it constantly mate...

Unbeaten in our first 5 league games now with a brand new manager and coach looking to bring in forward players ti change those draws into wins. That is something to build on is it not?

No wonder the atmosphere around the club at games is :censored:e. It's because you and people just like you have decided it won't work no matter what and one misplaced pass on a Saturday is the end of the world.

Every :censored:er knows which way you are looking as you post it constantly mate...

Unbeaten in our first 5 league games now with a brand new manager and coach looking to bring in forward players ti change those draws into wins. That is something to build on is it not?

No wonder the atmosphere around the club at games is :censored:e. It's because you and people just like you have decided it won't work no matter what and one misplaced pass on a Saturday is the end of the world.

Agree, tables mean nothing at this stage, one win and you can move up 8 places, a defeat and you can drop the same.

I'm looking forward to Saturday, the Athleticos need to get back to what they said they were about and get behind the team and hopefully the players can respond with a performance.

Agree, tables mean nothing at this stage, one win and you can move up 8 places, a defeat and you can drop the same.

I'm looking forward to Saturday, the Athleticos need to get back to what they said they were about and get behind the team and hopefully the players can respond with a performance.

Was hoping they'd be banned after the pathetic show towards Kelly. Supposed to be there to motivate the players. They can :censored: off for me after that

I'm a happy clapper at games, stay till the end and clap them off and do my best to get behind the team (even Connor Brown) do you think I want to see another year of failure? Sometimes its just easier to live in the real world and accept where we are.

The Athleticos made a big song and dance at their conception about supporting and singing FOR the team throughout no matter what. They failed to do so in Kelly's last game

I'd say it's only fair to give them a break on that one. Any 'Kelly Out' chant wasn't sustained for more than 10 seconds, wasn't limited to that section of the crowd and was completely irrelevant anyway as it had already been decided that he was going.

Edited by Twisbrogan

The Mirror ran this after 1 game... http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/oldham-boss-darren-kelly-battling-6220787

And sadly our fans revelled in the situation and never gave Kelly a chance. While most of us have reservations over Dunn it's very very early days. If it doesn't work out though...the club and a lot of fans only have themselves to blame for the situation. With Kelly...although he might not have been brilliant, it may turn out to have been a "careful what you wish for" situation. Hope it doesn't come to that though,

Latics fans in general are too quick to judge. I see it every season.

Players used to get a few games before judgement was passed. Some only get 25 mins as a sub before its decided they are not up to it now.

Perfect example Liam Kelly was a terrible signing for many before a competitive ball was kicked because his pre season wasn't the best.Try selling him now and the same people will start a :censored: storm

It seems now managers only get a game and it seems it must be a great win with a great performance or its decided

Why after 21 years in league 1 are their expectations so high while at the same time they constantly predict doom?

Edited by palmer1

The Mirror ran this after 1 game... http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/oldham-boss-darren-kelly-battling-6220787

And sadly our fans revelled in the situation and never gave Kelly a chance. While most of us have reservations over Dunn it's very very early days. If it doesn't work out though...the club and a lot of fans only have themselves to blame for the situation. With Kelly...although he might not have been brilliant, it may turn out to have been a "careful what you wish for" situation. Hope it doesn't come to that though,

Dunn turning out to be as bad wouldn't mean we shouldn't have got rid of Kelly....

Edited by HarryBosch

Who has "judged" Dunn off one game?

Numerous people have said it was :censored:ing awful on Saturday, which it was & which was really disappointing. Nothing more.

You, on the other hand, are going off on all kinds of tangents on the back of those of us who were there saying that it was :censored:....

Who has "judged" Dunn off one game?

Numerous people have said it was :censored:ing awful on Saturday, which it was & which was really disappointing. Nothing more.

You, on the other hand, are going off on all kinds of tangents on the back of those of us who were there saying that it was :censored:....

You have at least 2 posters

One saying he hopes the knives are out for Dunn in 7 games who marked down a post for asking why is it not I hope we win the next 6 or 7

Another slagging him because he dropped 2 players after a 5-1 loss.

Oh and Darren Kelly was being judged before 1 league game...

Edited by palmer1

Dunn turning out be as bad wouldn't mean we shouldn't have got rid of Kelly....

Kelly had to go because of the way the fans refused to get behind him or the team. And that was well before the 5-1 or even a defeat under him. If Dunn takes us down (not suggesting for a minute he will...but...) I'll come back in May and ask you if we still shouldn't have got rid of him.

One thing the whole saga does show though is how extremely detrimental the fans negativity during 90 minutes can be.

EDIT: Or full stop when they insist a manager abandons his formation to suit the moaning brigade

Edited by boundaryblue80

9 points off 4th place - perspective mate.

Things can change very quickly.

I can't see where 3 wins are coming from, at the moment. Although it's on an overall basis. I think deyeres is right.

I can't see Latics ever getting up from League 1, even if they are an excellent team - probably do a Tranmere. The club needs momentum. If that means relegation and a genuine crack at promotion - which it doesn't guarantee - then so be it. I wouldn't mind some new grounds and a different challenge. Not hoping we get relegated by any stretch, but if it meant we got some winning football finally then I'm sure a lot wouldn't be that upset.

(This is what they have brought us to)

I can't see where 3 wins are coming from, at the moment. Although it's on an overall basis. I think deyeres is right.

I can't see Latics ever getting up from League 1, even if they are an excellent team - probably do a Tranmere. The club needs momentum. If that means relegation and a genuine crack at promotion - which it doesn't guarantee - then so be it. I wouldn't mind some new grounds and a different challenge. Not hoping we get relegated by any stretch, but if it meant we got some winning football finally then I'm sure a lot wouldn't be that upset.

(This is what they have brought us to)

Momentum works both ways. Once you start falling you may not be able to stop.

I'm sorry I don't care who posts it. The notion of relegation to refresh things is ridiculous.

A new stand in the horizon (I know about all the :censored: ups please don't remind me) and a new manager. Things could and should be on the up in a few weeks.

How long in Division 2 before promotion was it? 36 yrs? We went up! Our club has had a similar past to how we are now.

We also had to apply for re-election to league. They don't do that anymore, they just send you down. Not worth the risk just for a trip to Newport or Wimbledon.

Kelly had to go because of the way the fans refused to get behind him or the team.

Even with the way SC and friends have been carrying on of late, there must have been far more to it than that, surely?

We never got behind Penney or Moore and they both lasted a season.

Dickov's final loseathon was his third or fourth....

Edited by HarryBosch

Kelly had to go because of the way the fans refused to get behind him or the team. And that was well before the 5-1 or even a defeat under him. If Dunn takes us down (not suggesting for a minute he will...but...) I'll come back in May and ask you if we still shouldn't have got rid of him.

One thing the whole saga does show though is how extremely detrimental the fans negativity during 90 minutes can be.

EDIT: Or full stop when they insist a manager abandons his formation to suit the moaning brigade

I get it - blame the fans.

One thing the team have had in recent times is good support despite the :censored: thats served up its very rarely negative, at home and especially away the vocal support and numbers who travel cannot be blamed for the team failing to perform.

I get it - blame the fans.

One thing the team have had in recent times is good support despite the :censored: thats served up its very rarely negative, at home and especially away the vocal support and numbers who travel cannot be blamed for the team failing to perform.

I think that under Kelly there was a lot of negativity right from day 1 within the fanbase and it got louder and louder. Never mind previous seasons!

A decent manager wouldnt have changed the team as Kelly did for Peterbro and I agree with bb80 that it seems he did so after listening to the fans complaints.

He went 2 upfront with no width to accomodate a lightweight midfield who struggled defensively too. He had to go. Hopefully Dunn will be stronger & better.

Maybe the fans were wrong to get him to change formation, but any good manager who believes in themselves wouldn't change formation based on fans complaining. If he did change it based on fans complaining then he isn't strong enough to be a football manager.

If the players on the other hand were asking about the formation then its a bit different.

Even with the way SC and friends have been carrying on of late, there must have been far more to it than that, surely?

Mentioned it on a thread when he was sacked the other week, apparently he fell out with Corney before start of the season when he wanted to bring his mate in to do TP's job and Corney told him where to go.

Also not the sharpest tool in the box supposedly...

Maybe the fans were wrong to get him to change formation, but any good manager who believes in themselves wouldn't change formation based on fans complaining. If he did change it based on fans complaining then he isn't strong enough to be a football manager.

I don't buy this either - changing formation was the right thing to do based on the fact we'd looked quite good with that formation in the final 20 minutes of the previous game than we had with one up front in the first 70.

I know that SC had felt he had made a mistake signing up DK before a ball was kicked (for whatever reasons) but not publicly backing him (after said Mirror article etc) and actually giving him a chance (like SC did with the other managers mentioned) directly led to fans expecting (and in some quarters wanting) DK to fail. Had we won the first handful of games...DK would still have gone down the same road despite the aforementioned. That's not backing the manager, players or club IMO.