David Dunn takes interim charge

Thinking in a simple way, if we hired a rookie and fired him after 7 games, then does that mean 7 games is the timescale for every rookie manager to prove himself?

If Dunn doesn't start well does that mean he gets fired after 7 games, and if the next rookie after that is struggling after 7, would he be fired too?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an interview up on the official site now.

Sounds like he was offered the managers job when it next came up quote: 'I didn't think it would happen so quickly'

He wants to keep playing but accepts it is very difficult to do both. He without a doubt wants to continue playing if he can.

Already talking up his contacts network, exited and looking forward to the job in hand. He's already been on the phone to his contacts to discuss things. Already talking about positions in the squad that need to be improved.

Talking about bringing players in on loan.

Ha!

Says it all. Inside job if I've ever seen one.

Kelly never stood a chance.

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he.

Doesn't mean it is true though.

Edited by singe

Talks of the team having a good shape and players knowing what they're doing.

I normally don't like to read too much into what people have said in interviews but that was quite interesting. Also steered clear of the attacking football promise minefield by saying he'd like us to be creative but the starting point is getting good results.

I've with you on that first bit. I think that we will see pretty quickly if he is talking the talk or walking the walk. I am not expecting us to be Real or Barca next game, ut we should see a significant improvement if he is a walk-the-walker.

If he starts winning, we'll all forget the way he was appointed.

Not when we started at 7am on Sunday and so had not been announced. They knew when I mentioned it after looking at my phone when the statement appeared on the website.

I did not at anytime say he had no contacts, I was saying I can't quite understand why a lot of people seem to be creaming themselves over him already. Playing in the premier league and being a better known name doesn't translate to lots of great contacts and being a good manager.... Paul Dickov was well known and his contacts got us Mancinis son! Also people who say "we'd have been happy with it if he was appointed in May" well I would still have rolled my eyes and thought "first time guy number 4" - he may turn out to be a masterstroke (even if I do not and will never like the way this has been handled) but he could just as easily find himself on the receiving end of abuse by Xmas, or, knowing Latics fans 5pm Saturday

It was semi official on Twitter at 6pm on Saurday.

Just out of interest would anyone like Dickov back being as he was at your game on sat,he,s got two more years of experiance in bull:censored: and excuses too,he took over Donny in the championship and look where we are now but it wont be his fault,would you have him back?

Just out of interest would anyone like Dickov back being as he was at your game on sat,he,s got two more years of experiance in bull:censored: and excuses too,he took over Donny in the championship and look where we are now but it wont be his fault,would you have him back?

Would we have him back? that's the most ridiculous question ever.

We were glad we got rid... god only knows how he ended up with a job in the league higher.

Answer to your question, no would we f***.

No.Nay Never.

You'd be hard pressed to find anoyone that would.

Amazed he lasted as long as he did.

After a week of having the job it seems as though Dunn may well hang up his boots, he isn't training and has brought in his own coach. This effectively leaves us a player short (some may argue our best player), add to that the players who have gone out on loan and Mills who has been sent to Coventry (thought everyone was starting with a clean slate), and we are effectively four men down on the first team squad since Kelly left the club. Can we really afford to lose these players from the squad with no adequate replacements? The way I understood it Dunn claimed he still had plenty to offer on the pitch and was looking to play as much as he could, has this also gone out of the window now? Is he that good a manager that we don't need him playing for us? I'm not his biggest fan but was shocked when he never even named himself on the bench for what effectively was a six pointer on Saturday. I can accept the decision to move Kelly on but bringing another rookie manager in and losing him from the playing strength may prove to be the strangest decision of all.

After a week of having the job it seems as though Dunn may well hang up his boots, he isn't training and has brought in his own coach. This effectively leaves us a player short (some may argue our best player), add to that the players who have gone out on loan and Mills who has been sent to Coventry (thought everyone was starting with a clean slate), and we are effectively four men down on the first team squad since Kelly left the club. Can we really afford to lose these players from the squad with no adequate replacements? The way I understood it Dunn claimed he still had plenty to offer on the pitch and was looking to play as much as he could, has this also gone out of the window now? Is he that good a manager that we don't need him playing for us? I'm not his biggest fan but was shocked when he never even named himself on the bench for what effectively was a six pointer on Saturday. I can accept the decision to move Kelly on but bringing another rookie manager in and losing him from the playing strength may prove to be the strangest decision of all.

You're kind of right but if Fulton is as good as it sounds like he might be and Dunn brings in a quality striker or two all will look rosier again.

Edited by HarryBosch

He was interviewed the other day and said he was dong 11-12 hour days and thought it probably wasn't the ideal preparation for a game on the Saturday. I'd say that is the mark of a man who may be aware of his limitations rather than someone who thinks he can get away with phoning in a performance. Does leave us a player short on the playing staff but does create a slot for Winchester and Green to battle each other for.

As for the others, Turner and Murphy are either not fancied by him or would benefit from playing elsewhere for a bit, as for Mills, looks like Dunn is annoyed with him and giving him a kick up the backside.

I'm not too fussed if Dunn purely manages rather than plays. We have so many centre mids (at least half of them are certainly good enough for this level) that even if they aren't as good as Dunn they can still compete with each other for places.

As for Mills, when you say "sent to Coventry" do you mean literally or are you just using the idiom?

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

I'm not too fussed if Dunn purely manages rather than plays. We have so many centre mids (at least half of them are certainly good enough for this level) that even if they aren't as good as Dunn they can still compete with each other for places.

As for Mills, when you say "sent to Coventry" do you mean literally or are you just using the idiom?

I didn't mean literally but nothing would suprise me!

If Dunn was to take a back seat from the playing side would anyone turn their nose up at a replacement in Richie Wellens? Wants to move back over here and we all know he could do a job for us. Just a thought you know!!

I'd happily have Wellens back but I'd rather we get a striker or two in first. Wellens is a luxury rather than a necessity.

Think this is the 1st time I have heard of a game in September being a 6 pointer.

Think this is the 1st time I have heard of a game in September being a 6 pointer.

Not like Latics fans to over react is it?

Just think If we had got 6 points against Donny and we beat Wigan that would have seen us 4th.As it is this season obviously over. Damn it Dunn!

9 points off 4th place - perspective mate.

Things can change very quickly.

Is that how you really see the table? Calling the Donny game a six pointer may have come across a bit dramatic but looking at our fixtures over the next month or so it was certainly a good chance to get three points against easier opponents.

My worry when Kelly took over was not about his coaching ability/credentials but his man-management. How often do we here about players looking great in training then it just not translating to performance on the pitch? After so long in the same division the fans are desperate for some success and the players can probably smell that. So there could easily be a certain amount of fear and restriction when they play.

This would make sense based on the games I've seen in 2015. And this is why when Johnson left I wanted some experience. You can have all the badges in the world, but how can the board know whether or not someone in their first job would be able to motivate the players in tough times?

On paper we have a pretty decent squad, but on the few times I've seen them there's something not quite right. I don't think it's tactically, they just don't look like they're excited or enjoying it or free to go for it. Not writing off the new set up though as it's early days, with an addition up front and Kelly back from injury we might see an improvement. But it just feels like we're missing a trick by having novices in all the coaching positions.