Swindon 1 Oldham 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good performance against a terrible swindon side. We looked solid all game, passed it around well and should have been out of sight before they equalised. Another draw would have been a robbery

That is pretty much exactly it, in a nutshell.

Just back, a very solid away performance until the 85th minute but after we let our focus slip we showed great character to grab the 3 points in a game of poor quality overall. Saying that, Jones' curler from the edge of the box was out of place from the rest of the half and Philly did very well with the finish for his goal. Swindon were awful which was mainly down to a large injury list, but their stubbornness in trying intricate posession football with poor players was baffling. They were brilliant last season because they had the players to play that way, but you have to be pragmatic when near the bottom. Dunn did this and reaped the rewards.

The most pleasing thing was that in our 4-4-1-1 was that everyone was part of the unit. Kelly was my MotM as he bossed the midfield. Dummigan looked a little shaky defensively but when he and Lafferty were allowed to attack they looked good. Cornell didn't have a lot to do but didn't put a foot wrong, looks like a decent keeper at this level. Both Wilson's looked steady at centre back while not having much to do. James plays much better alongside experience, Brian was fine for that game but mainly because Swindon were very small for the most part, not sure about if he plays bigger opponents. Fulton was decent and a good presence alongside Kelly, Jones' goal turned a good performance into a very good one. Winchester was great in the hole as he traps Higdon's flick on's and keeps the ball up field. If Higdon leaves the club in mid-table by the end of his loan spell he will have been a success. Just what we need right now, a proper target man. Final word goes to Mr Philliskirk, a very smart performance by the lad. He's not physical enough to play in the centre of midfield but he helped Dummigan a lot while still actively supporting the attack. Deserves his place in this current team and I see now why Dunn trusts him.

I can see that XI getting at least 2 points against Dale and Burton, but the could easily get more. We're tough to beat.

...but their stubbornness in trying intricate posession football with poor players was baffling. They were brilliant last season because they had the players to play that way, but you have to be pragmatic when near the bottom. Dunn did this and reaped the rewards.

...Winchester was great in the hole as he traps Higdon's flick on's and keeps the ball up field. ...

Agree with pretty much most of that, except for

I thought Swindon had some decent players, individually; it was a cohesive plan, or maybe exoerience playing with each other that they seemed to lack. Either way, we agree they were poor overall

and

I thought Winchester's strengths were not exploited in his role up top / in the 'hole'. For me, he's at his best getting the ball moving and making a run and I can only recall a couple of times he actually did this, and then relatively late in the game. I didn't think either that he got enough of the scraps from Higdon's hard work up front. Probably I would have swapped Winchester and Philliskirk around around, or maybe even let them rotate roles to mix it up and keep the opposition on their toes. There were definitely times when it would have been good to have Philliskirk up front, and to have had Winchester making runs inside with the ball.

Overall though, a good performance, and a well deserved three points.

I can see that XI getting at least 2 points against Dale and Burton, but the could easily get more. We're tough to beat.

Burton Albion no goals in three games, one goal in five.

From the ‘Brewers Talk’ Forum:

riverman said:

Brilliant quote from Timmy Thiele post match on Radio Derby. Asked about lack of goals he compared it to a bottle of ketchup. "Sometimes you turn up the bottle and nothing comes out, but other times it all comes out at once". Class!

Schoolboy Papers said:

Unfortunately I fear poor Timmy has forgotten to unscrew the cap and remove the foil!

Couple of quality finishes there, and a couple of sitters missed, Winchester and Higdons go in on another day, as does Wilsons header. Looks like we created a lot of excellent chances, and the positivity going forward away from home is a massive contrast to the home games where we look sheepish in attack. Im more confident of points at Dale than at home to Burton, but I think Lafferty & Dummigan will need to be switched on defensively if we are to keep out the likes of Vincenti and Henderson

Both good goals, 1st one excellent strike, 2nd a good finish from a tightish angle.

I love the way they run to get the ball after their goal to make sure we have enough time to score again to win it.

From those brief highlights if they are a true reflection of the chances created, it would have been a traversty if we had not won, a couple of good saves and a clearance off the line.

Edited by Hometownclub

I had to laugh when Swindon scored, they ran to get the ball out of the back of the net to go for the win... he was actually doing us a favour!

The most one sided set of highlights I've seen in a long time so good slick football, plenty of chances.

I watched Rochdale against Shrewsbury. First 15 minutes Shrewsbury were still on the coach, if you can keep Dale quiet down the flanks they are fairly one dimensional, they get over run in midfield resorting to the long ball up to Andrew. Cannon the young kid at right back is the man to get at, good prospect but not the strongest. If we can get Higdon drifting off him and we will win lots of second balls.

Philliskirk should have plenty of space to play in front of their back four like Johnson did last season, they play with a narrow three so unless they sit in there could be plenty of chances.

They are struggling for goals so judging by our head to head, perhaps we will get a rare clean sheet and 2 nil win :) here's hoping!