FA Cup Round 1: Mansfield v Oldham

I cant honestly think of any reason that any fan would be in attendance next weekend, other than theyve got naff all else to do. Even then id be tempted to just crack a few off until dust came out instead

I have my ticket - every match to Wembley is the cry

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate what you are saying but Joe was manager 23 years ago!

The game has changed and Henry and Milliigan would constantly be suspended nowadays.

we need to find another way of playing but reverting back to the 60,70s,80,s etc isnt the answer

Suspended just like Kelly you mean?.. these tactical trends come and go, many teams will soon be back to my preference when they cotton on

that possesion is getting them nowhere.

Suspended just like Kelly you mean?.. these tactical trends come and go, many teams will soon be back to my preference when they cotton on

Agree with this. I was watching some footage of a training session at a Championship club (can't remember where it was) on TV last week. The coach was drilling in to them that retaining posession was everything and that if they didn't see a definite opportunity in front of them they should go backwards, all the way to the goal keeper if necessary, in order to retain the ball. I can imagine that something similar happens at our training ground.

I've no doubt this is the best way for Barcelona to play but I'm not so sure about us.

The problem seems to be that we aren't skillful or patient enough to retain the ball long enough, through several phases of play, until a chance arrives, to be effective playing this way.Teams are happy enough to allow us to keep the ball in areas that don't hurt them. I don't think footballers at this level are able to play this way successfully, with the odd exception.

It seems to me that most of the teams at the top end of the table, once they win posession, look to move the ball quickly to fast powerful players breaking forward in numbers.They are willing to risk giving the ball away trying to play a ball in to a channel for a forward runner to chase, to take advantage of the oppostion being temporarily out of position. They don't value retaining possesion more highly than the possibility of a goalscoring opportunity.

I don't think you would ever look at teams like Burton and Gilligham and think they are technically better footballers than our lot, but there can be little doubt they are more effective team at the moment.

Agree with this. I was watching some footage of a training session at a Championship club (can't remember where it was) on TV last week. The coach was drilling in to them that retaining posession was everything and that if they didn't see a definite opportunity in front of them they should go backwards, all the way to the goal keeper if necessary, in order to retain the ball. I can imagine that something similar happens at our training ground.

I've no doubt this is the best way for Barcelona to play but I'm not so sure about us.

The problem seems to be that we aren't skillful or patient enough to retain the ball long enough, through several phases of play, until a chance arrives, to be effective playing this way.Teams are happy enough to allow us to keep the ball in areas that don't hurt them. I don't think footballers at this level are able to play this way successfully, with the odd exception.

It seems to me that most of the teams at the top end of the table, once they win posession, look to move the ball quickly to fast powerful players breaking forward in numbers.They are willing to risk giving the ball away trying to play a ball in to a channel for a forward runner to chase, to take advantage of the oppostion being temporarily out of position. They don't value retaining possesion more highly than the possibility of a goalscoring opportunity.

I don't think you would ever look at teams like Burton and Gilligham and think they are technically better footballers than our lot, but there can be little doubt they are more effective team at the moment.

This.

Good teams create chances.

Yes, and when as we often see, when one of our players loses possession in midfield the opposition break away and score (Kelly last Saturday for example).

Edited by BP1960

Even now when we flood the midfield only Kelly is putting a foot in. If we were to go 442 how would step up to the plate? Football has moved on massively since those days.

It's not moved on for the better though - unfortunately it's to the tepid sideways/backwards football we see regularly at home games, but if you are happy fair enough, results will remain as they are.

Edited by BP1960

Its not quite so simple as 'just doing something different'. As bp1960 has said on many occasions, this is a badges thing. This is how all the coaches are coached to think, and you cant manage or coach without these badges.

It is a top down directive to think this way now, in the hope of improving the team at the top of it all, namely the national side.

This is not going to change anytime soon, possibly in your lifetimes. If you don't accept it soon, or leave it all behind and do something else, it is going to eat you from the inside and possibly speed up your demise.

Facts.

Clive Allen was on TalkSport earlier talking about certain formations & certain tactics having become the be all and end all even when a team doesn't have the right players to suit that formation/those tactics....

Its not quite so simple as 'just doing something different'. As bp1960 has said on many occasions, this is a badges thing. This is how all the coaches are coached to think, and you cant manage or coach without these badges.

It is a top down directive to think this way now, in the hope of improving the team at the top of it all, namely the national side.

This is not going to change anytime soon, possibly in your lifetimes. If you don't accept it soon, or leave it all behind and do something else, it is going to eat you from the inside and possibly speed up your demise.

Facts.

Most teams have started to play in a way that will mean most managers records will never look too bad...

Yes like Kelly but a lot more. He last booking was for discent. Some of the fair tackles made in the 80s & 90s don't cut it any more & would see players missing a lot more games than players nowadays.

It's not moved on for the better though - unfortunately it's to the tepid sideways/backwards football we see regularly at home games, but if you are happy fair enough, results will remain as they are.

Obviously I'm not. Out of interest what would be your team for Saturday?

Yes like Kelly but a lot more. He last booking was for discent. Some of the fair tackles made in the 80s & 90s don't cut it any more & would see players missing a lot more games than players nowadays.

Perhaps Milligan did, but I cant recollect Nick Henry having too many bookings.

Obviously I'm not. Out of interest what would be your team for Saturday?

Does it really matter what team we pick? if we go there not to get beat we could make Gareth Bale look like a donkey.

Here's a ground breaking idea lets have a go at trying to win a game, I know its a novel concept but we may just pick up a win,if we come up short and are beat off the better team fair play to them, lets just give it a go.

Does it really matter what team we pick? if we go there not to get beat we could make Gareth Bale look like a donkey.

Here's a ground breaking idea lets have a go at trying to win a game, I know its a novel concept but we may just pick up a win,if we come up short and are beat off the better team fair play to them, lets just give it a go.

Er yeah. Course it does. I share your opinion that We should go and have a go. But if some of them go through the motions like Saturday we will lose. Edited by welshgaz

Just on a side note, Kelly gets booked for dissent, what happened to the captain being allowed to ask the ref a question, if he swore at the ref, fair enough, but then that would be an automatic red.

Argh the old coaching badges are to blame for our demise that Burton side who beat us and went second in the league on Saturday didnt play with a 4-2-3-1 and didn't have a manager who had those daft badges did they?

What we are currently seeing is a team low on confidence because of a lack of wins as a result they are more likely to play a safe ball than play a first time cross players are taking an extra touch and are less likely to try anything inventive or take a shot. The players need to start believing in themselves and we need some strong characters to step up at the moment and believe in themselves. They are better than this and they are good enough they have to prove it.

I cant honestly think of any reason that any fan would be in attendance next weekend, other than theyve got naff all else to do. Even then id be tempted to just crack a few off until dust came out instead

I've got my ticket, I still am hopeful that we can turn this round, the manager needs to learn and quick, a few good results, all is not lost just yet.

Just on a side note, Kelly gets booked for dissent, what happened to the captain being allowed to ask the ref a question, if he swore at the ref, fair enough, but then that would be an automatic red.

Yeah I think league 1 refs would rather flash a card than talk. Lower down the league cards will be shown more freely to players than they would be to famous players.

Nowhere near as many as today which you are fully aware. You are ignoring the obvious. The tackle for behind is now illegal for one.

Part of the reason why midfielders who are coached to stay on their feet and deny space (Adeyemi a recent example) are considered shot or soft and succeed beyond us.

We've got players who are content to pass the ball to each other when the opposition are nowhere near, instead of moving forward and producing killer passes into areas where it hurts the opposition. On the odd occasion when the ball is crossed, it's either hit too low or too high, both being ineffective. Free kicks are similarly wasted.

I can't understand why the ball isn't drilled between defenders for Poleon to run onto, instead of giving him the ball when he's surrounded by the opposition.