Analysing Dunn's ins and outs

Not like that.

Dunn's revolving door policy has been talked about a lot recently so I thought I'd look into it a bit further and see how bad it is.
IN
Vassell (1yr contract)
He is "one for the future" apparently. Comes recommended and could be a useful addition to the squad. We are lacking in contracted CBs.
Eckersley (short term contract)
Brought in to cover the full back positions at a time when Mills was injured and we were light in that area
Dummigan (loan)
Brought in as light in full back areas, been a great signing so far. Not keeping out any youth teamer/squad member other than Connor Brown.
Lafferty (loan)
Brought in when Mills was injured. Injured himself so has gone back. Mills back in.
Rasulo (loan)
Jones out injured, lacking a bit of a creative spark in final 3rd anyway. Has he been brought in to take Green's place in the squad?
Fulton (loan)
Seemingly wants to play with narrow wingers and has been using Jones on the left. Been a good addition though. Might be extended to the full season for continuity.
Fuller (short term contract)
Experience up front. Probably needed. Could be a big player for us with a few games under his belt.
Higdon (loan)
Brought in to cover Cassidy, will probably go back once Cassidy is fit.
Overall, although I'd much rather see contracted players than short term loans, can many of his decisions be questioned? Maybe Rasulo is a bit unnecessary as we have Winchester but if Jones was going to be out for a while you could understand it.
Everyone else has been brought in to cover an injury or an area of the squad that was light. Would playing our own youth teamers/squad players instead have had us doing any better? Eg Brown instead of Dummigan, Truelove instead of Lafferty, Tuohy instead of Fulton, Murphy instead of Higdon?
OUT
Of the players who've left Murphy was starting to show promise but maybe he wanted to be back down South. Maybe he'll come back and play for us anyway. Turner should benefit from his stint in league 2 and could still come back and be a good player for us in the future.
Granted the young lads have gone to a low level but if there isn't interest from a higher level then them playing together in competitive football surely has to be benefitting them more than our occasional reserve friendly or sitting on our bench?
Again, I'm struggling to see that much wrong with these...
Murphy (loan)
Turner (loan)
Truelove (loan)
Tuohy (loan)
Bove (loan)
Edmundson (loan)
Jacobs (released)
Green (released)
Stankevicius (returned)
I reckon he's done a good and largely necessary job on the recruitment front and to be fair to the club they seem to have backed him.

Stop bringing common sense into these arguments, we are all depressed since we drew with a League 2 club to go into the hat tonight where we all reckon that we will get a :censored:e draw. Even if we get a good draw for the 2nd round we will remain convinced that Mansfield will win at ours anyway and there wont be any beer in the North Stand for the few hundred who bother to turn up watching a :censored: team with :censored: (loan) players run by a :censored: manager who should be replaced immediately by Simeone.

Get a grip man!

Don't disagree his recruitment has been mainly individually impressive, and several of them have been necessary - some I'd argue less so, or at least shouldn't have gone straight into the side. Then again, so was Dickov's...

The real test will be if he continues in this manner beyond when we need them, because a constant stream of loans does not work, as our unchanged results suggest. He has not been able to gel them yet, or given them any visible style of play (can drawing be classed as a style?). Forgetting the issue of injuries for the minute, the team needs leadership, bottle and cohesion. Those qualities will not come from loans. Can Dunn induce that from a collection of players? I don't know.

The results and performances say different....

I disagree. That's more down to his ability to organise and motivate. On the personnel front I think we'd be worse off without these additions.

Edited by nzlatic

I disagree. That's more down to his ability to organise and motivate. On the personnel front I think we'd be worse off without these additions.

If they are better players than what Kelly had and they are getting exactly the same points per game surely the organising and motivating is at fault, it has to be one or the other? If his recruitmemts better and he is a better manager surely that translates to a better points return?

So whats going wrong? Other than the fairly obvious weakness we had at rightback I'm not sure loan after loan was needed, do Eckersley Yeats and Fuller actually improve us? Jones arguably our best player in our best performances of the last 15 month has been shuffled about to accomodate a player no better than him, rather than bringing a whole host of loans why didn't we concentrate on bringing in one or two real quality players to make us better, I don't mind Higdon as he was a player we didn't have in the squad but the rest have been much of a muchness for me.

Talk of further squad upheavel in January fills me with dread, get our players back save the money frittered away on dead wood signings and play a settled 11, have we named an unchanged 11 yet this season? Probably not and we are 19 games in, you can work all you want on the training pitch but if there is a new face coming in on a Friday and going into the matchday squad it does little to help.

If they are better players than what Kelly had and they are getting exactly the same points per game surely the organising and motivating is at fault, it has to be one or the other? If his recruitmemts better and he is a better manager surely that translates to a better points return?

So whats going wrong? Other than the fairly obvious weakness we had at rightback I'm not sure loan after loan was needed, do Eckersley Yeats and Fuller actually improve us? Jones arguably our best player in our best performances of the last 15 month has been shuffled about to accomodate a player no better than him, rather than bringing a whole host of loans why didn't we concentrate on bringing in one or two real quality players to make us better, I don't mind Higdon as he was a player we didn't have in the squad but the rest have been much of a muchness for me.

Talk of further squad upheavel in January fills me with dread, get our players back save the money frittered away on dead wood signings and play a settled 11, have we named an unchanged 11 yet this season? Probably not and we are 19 games in, you can work all you want on the training pitch but if there is a new face coming in on a Friday and going into the matchday squad it does little to help.

The point of this thread was to deal with one aspect of why things aren't going that well at the moment. It's up to Dunn to get the squad playing well. Whether he will or not is a matter of opinion at the moment - you don't think he will, I think he might.

Personally I reckon pretty much all his signings are justified. Did Dunn sign Yeates? Didn't include him above but he's on the books as one of our players, albeit short term, and I think he does offer something. He's got experience for one. Who is he replacing in the team/squad that we should have stuck with?

Eckersley, Yeates and Fuller all add much needed experience for one thing. So yeah, I think they do improve the squad, especially with Forte and Cassidy being out for the period they've signed for.

Presumably by saying get our players back and getting rid of these signings you disagree then and the team would be better for it?

The point of this thread was to deal with one aspect of why things aren't going that well at the moment. It's up to Dunn to get the squad playing well. Whether he will or not is a matter of opinion at the moment - you don't think he will, I think he might.

Personally I reckon pretty much all his signings are justified. Did Dunn sign Yeates? Didn't include him above but he's on the books as one of our players, albeit short term, and I think he does offer something. He's got experience for one. Who is he replacing in the team/squad that we should have stuck with?

Eckersley, Yeates and Fuller all add much needed experience for one thing. So yeah, I think they do improve the squad, especially with Forte and Cassidy being out for the period they've signed for.

Presumably by saying get our players back and getting rid of these signings you disagree then and the team would be better for it?

With the exception maybe of Dummigan, none have exactly set Boundary Park alight, have they? Results are still :censored: and so I'm struggling to see how the recruitment of these players reflects paticularly well on Dunn.

Not like that.

Dunn's revolving door policy has been talked about a lot recently so I thought I'd look into it a bit further and see how bad it is.

IN

Vassell (1yr contract)

He is "one for the future" apparently. Comes recommended and could be a useful addition to the squad. We are lacking in contracted CBs.

Eckersley (short term contract)

Brought in to cover the full back positions at a time when Mills was injured and we were light in that area

Dummigan (loan)

Brought in as light in full back areas, been a great signing so far. Not keeping out any youth teamer/squad member other than Connor Brown.

Lafferty (loan)

Brought in when Mills was injured. Injured himself so has gone back. Mills back in.

Rasulo (loan)

Jones out injured, lacking a bit of a creative spark in final 3rd anyway. Has he been brought in to take Green's place in the squad?

Fulton (loan)

Seemingly wants to play with narrow wingers and has been using Jones on the left. Been a good addition though. Might be extended to the full season for continuity.

Fuller (short term contract)

Experience up front. Probably needed. Could be a big player for us with a few games under his belt.

Higdon (loan)

Brought in to cover Cassidy, will probably go back once Cassidy is fit.

Overall, although I'd much rather see contracted players than short term loans, can many of his decisions be questioned? Maybe Rasulo is a bit unnecessary as we have Winchester but if Jones was going to be out for a while you could understand it.

Everyone else has been brought in to cover an injury or an area of the squad that was light. Would playing our own youth teamers/squad players instead have had us doing any better? Eg Brown instead of Dummigan, Truelove instead of Lafferty, Tuohy instead of Fulton, Murphy instead of Higdon?

OUT

Of the players who've left Murphy was starting to show promise but maybe he wanted to be back down South. Maybe he'll come back and play for us anyway. Turner should benefit from his stint in league 2 and could still come back and be a good player for us in the future.

Granted the young lads have gone to a low level but if there isn't interest from a higher level then them playing together in competitive football surely has to be benefitting them more than our occasional reserve friendly or sitting on our bench?

Again, I'm struggling to see that much wrong with these...

Murphy (loan)

Turner (loan)

Truelove (loan)

Tuohy (loan)

Bove (loan)

Edmundson (loan)

Jacobs (released)

Green (released)

Stankevicius (returned)

I reckon he's done a good and largely necessary job on the recruitment front and to be fair to the club they seem to have backed him.

Agree with the players coming in - still not sure about Murphy and Turner loans. Apologies but due to fat finger syndrome I down boated when meant to upboat.

Look at it this way. On Saturday, we had Cornell, Jones, Cassidy, Forte, J. Wilson all injured. O'Connell, Lafferty & Burn injured and gone back to their parent clubs. Kelly suspended. Fulton unavailable. Brown disappeared altogether plus Turner, Murphy, et al out on loan.That's an entire team missing.

I'm not saying that we needed all the loan and short term contract players at the time, but by God, we need them now. It's OK moaning about the quality and the performances and, yes, they've largely been crap, but we've never really had a settled side. Certainly, at Mansfield, it was a bit make do and mend.

And to those who say we should have brought in better quality, please tell me who and where from. We can't afford the players that others in League 1 can, and a much of that is to do with the FFP. Yes, some clubs are fortunate enough to pick up some real gems from their own yoofs, but we're swimming against the tide.

Once we get our own injured players back and firing, I reckon we'll see an upturn in fortune. Until then, I'm prepared to be patient and let DD use what resources he can muster up.

Edited by Bristolatic

Look at it this way. On Saturday, we had Cornell, Jones, Cassidy, Forte, J. Wilson all injured. O'Connell, Lafferty & Burn injured and gone back to their parent clubs. Kelly suspended. Fulton unavailable. Brown disappeared altogether plus Turner, Murphy, et al out on loan.That's an entire team missing.

I'm not saying that we needed all the loan and short term contract players at the time, but by God, we need them now. It's OK moaning about the quality and the performances and, yes, they've largely been crap, but we've never really had a settled side. Certainly, at Mansfield, it was a bit make do and mend.

And to those who say we should have brought in better quality, please tell me who and where from. We can't afford the players that others in League 1 can, and a much of that is to do with the FFP. Yes, some clubs are fortunate enough to pick up some real gems from their own yoofs, but we're swimming against the tide.

Once we get our own injured players back and firing, I reckon we'll see an upturn in fortune. Until then, I'm prepared to be patient and let DD use what resources he can muster up.

Thought Gerrard and Eagles are playing for free? Agree about the injuries Cassidy is a massive miss as well as Forte so lets hope they come back flying, they could save our season.

Thought Gerrard and Eagles are playing for free? Agree about the injuries Cassidy is a massive miss as well as Forte so lets hope they come back flying, they could save our season.

Didnt someone say they got signing on fees?

Wasn't there something about Gerrard being a Billy Big Bollocks and was an unsettling influence? I'll stand corrected on that one if I'm wrong. And if Eagles is playing for nothing, I'm amazed. Still, if he's desperate to find a club and keep playing, even without pay, I doff my metaphorical cap.

I am satisfied with his ins and outs.

It's the tippy tappy sideways backwards football I am not satisfied with.

That doesn't mean I want long ball football, but I would be happier if we tip tapped it forward and wide to get some crosses shots headers in

This. However I'm slightly concerned that despite all the loan signings, we are yet to sign anyone who could replace the threat that Forte brought to the team on the left wing (or right wing).

Edited by RobOAFC

Loanee bashing is very popular but I can't really fault any of the ones we've had this season, it's the permanent members we have had next to nothing from.

This is true.

However it's not a solid base for a team, and it doesn't explain our consistently poor form since the loans came in.