Conspiracy theory.

It was totally mind blowing for people to think that...but the Evans fiasco seems to have been the catalyst for a number of decisions (mainly involving appointing/not appointing managers..) which have been beyond comprehension.

There was a "Corney quits" headline on the Chron website for a short time after it turned out Evans wasn't signing and while Corney obviously hasn't quit, I think this event might have been the straw which had broken the camel's back for him with regards the club.

I hope he has still got the energy for us (and isn't leaving decisions to anyone else on the board..) and has the best interests of the club at heart but, while we're on conspiracy theories - how about one where we get relegated (and then maybe get relegated again), even more fans lose interest and give up, meaning there's barely 1,000 hard-core left who are devoid of any sort of spirit meaning it's easy to wind the club up with barely a whimper...probably easier and less costly than making sure we can compete.

Just a thought, like..

If you are going to walk away then you do it now , makes no difference on timing or what league you are in.

I also hope SC stays and keeps us going ,i was once told by a very high ranking ex player that directors are just custodians of a footballclub for the next generation

I have no doubt that the Evans debacle was started with the right intentions but handled so

unprofessionally it turned into a nightmare.

The club is littered with people not fit for their jobs and they make poor decisions but i don't think any of them do it with the

intention of sabotaging the club.

On your conspiracy theory - the same happened to Tranmere regards relegated 2 divisions yet despite hardly ripping up trees in non league they are getting bigger gates now than they did in league 1 -

Just a thought !!

Is Corney and this board trying to relegate us?

No!

Why would he continue to jettison managers when relegation looks likely?

He is a failure for not getting promotion or for not getting relegation, which is it? He can't be trying to do both.

Why would he secure funding for the new stand?

He is an honourable man - but for how long?

If you are going to walk away then you do it now , makes no difference on timing or what league you are in.

On your conspiracy theory - the same happened to Tranmere regards relegated 2 divisions yet despite hardly ripping up trees in non league they are getting bigger gates now than they did in league 1 -

Just a thought !!

You walk away when you've made back as much of your money as possible.

We wouldn't get bigger gates than we do now if we were in the Conference.

Good thinking apart from that, though..

Edited by JoeP

You walk away when you've made back as much of your money as possible.

We wouldn't get bigger gates than we do now if we were in the Conference.

Good thinking apart from that, though..

Every week he stays in charge he's losing money. Give the guy credit, he's kept this club in existence

I think Corney is achieving his goals at the moment - for the club to break even/make small profits each year and to stay in this division until he sells.

Obviously current form threatens the latter goal but I'd expect him to throw a bit of money at staying in the division if we're still in this predicament in late January, as he did in 2013.

The problem, as I see it, is that his sale price includes a premium over and above fair value, that would allow him to recoup a good proportion of the money TTA sunk in to the club in their early, enthusiastic days. This is putting most potential buyers off.

So a sale seems unlikely until he feels he's made enough money back from developing/selling the peripheral areas of the site (houses, the forthcoming hotel etc) to offer the club itself for sale at a realistic price.

Whether it be Corney, Blitz, Gazal or a White Knight riding into town you are delusional if you think they are doing it for us lot. There are no disgruntled masses, Latics fans represent only about 3% of the towns population. About another 3% have already gone. They have done what most people do with a poor product – withdrawn their patronage. That’s how business works and most of the fans left understand that. Who supports a business offering a poor product?

There’s a hard-core of ‘fans’ who seem to have a misguided sense of entitlement to investment and success. Can anyone identify another business that operates on opening hours of 90hrs per annum, 1.7hrs per week for their main revenue stream? Merchandising and Sponsorship will be negatively effected by a drop in core support.

Hypothetically; White Knight rides into town. First job is, shall we say, an experienced manager. There are dozens of those on theMagic Roundabout but most of them have been tossed there. Money is no object so let’s look at those in the Football League, no need for the fans to worry about the risk. There seems to be a problem there too, rapid turnover due to failure. Only 27 managers out of 98 have manged to stay put over 2 years and only 8 have made it beyond 3 years. Of course they have not all been fired, some of them are newbies, but better not go down that road.

Here’s a question for the blind rabbit; ‘how would you decide the next manager and who?’

Even the blind rabbit uses hind sight to realise when the wrong man has been appointed – with the exception of Kelly, of course – it only took Corney 7 games or so.

Hindsight, where would we all be if foresight was reliable? Queuing up to fund the club would be my guess.

A very large majority of the town don’t care what happens to Oldham Athletic. Don’t expect too much from strangers.

Talking to fans (home and away matches) I guess that at least 10% of them no longer live in oldham.

Whether it be Corney, Blitz, Gazal or a White Knight riding into town you are delusional if you think they are doing it for us lot. There are no disgruntled masses, Latics fans represent only about 3% of the towns population. About another 3% have already gone. They have done what most people do with a poor product – withdrawn their patronage. That’s how business works and most of the fans left understand that. Who supports a business offering a poor product?

There’s a hard-core of ‘fans’ who seem to have a misguided sense of entitlement to investment and success. Can anyone identify another business that operates on opening hours of 90hrs per annum, 1.7hrs per week for their main revenue stream? Merchandising and Sponsorship will be negatively effected by a drop in core support.

Hypothetically; White Knight rides into town. First job is, shall we say, an experienced manager. There are dozens of those on theMagic Roundabout but most of them have been tossed there. Money is no object so let’s look at those in the Football League, no need for the fans to worry about the risk. There seems to be a problem there too, rapid turnover due to failure. Only 27 managers out of 98 have manged to stay put over 2 years and only 8 have made it beyond 3 years. Of course they have not all been fired, some of them are newbies, but better not go down that road.

Here’s a question for the blind rabbit; ‘how would you decide the next manager and who?’

Even the blind rabbit uses hind sight to realise when the wrong man has been appointed – with the exception of Kelly, of course – it only took Corney 7 games or so.

Hindsight, where would we all be if foresight was reliable? Queuing up to fund the club would be my guess.

A very large majority of the town don’t care what happens to Oldham Athletic. Don’t expect too much from strangers.

A decent percentage of the town's population would give a toss if we won a few home games.

You give no indication of your 'decent percentage' but I'll give you a poor one at 4% which would increase the gate by 9,000. It would take a lot more than a few home wins to achieve that - more like a good run in the Championship funded by someone we don't know. Meanwhile...

i was going to make the same point. That's quite embarrassing, for us. They're part of the wonderful world of Greater Manchester, so why have their hard core remained loyal and not pissed off to Cideh?

To be fair, nobody knows what would happen to our attendances if the :censored: truly hit the fan and/or Corney left never to be seen again tomorrow. There are a good number who don't want to come again while he is still here. A sad fact. I will come inspite of him being here...and will be here for many many years after it.

In the face of real adversity, we've pulled in higher crowds when we've needed to. I'd like to think we could again if it came to it. But the common denominator will need to have left the building for it to happen.

To be fair, nobody knows what would happen to our attendances if the :censored: truly hit the fan and/or Corney left never to be seen again tomorrow. There are a good number who don't want to come again while he is still here. A sad fact. I will come inspite of him being here...and will be here for many many years after it.

In the face of real adversity, we've pulled in higher crowds when we've needed to. I'd like to think we could again if it came to it. But the common denominator will need to have left the building for it to happen.

Absolutely...the guy has done his best with limited resources but after so many broken promises ( not all his fault ) and marketing disasters aplenty only a sustained period of success on the field will adhere him to the Oldham fan base.

Unfortunately, history tells us this is never going to happen under his stewardship. The club desperately needs a new direction and significant financial investment to survive in the long term.

We live in hope!