Jim McMahon, new MP

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember rightly, he was against the stadium move to Failsworth as a councillor for Failsworth but helped to sort out funding for the new stand on the back of the council muck up, after he became council leader. He's campaigned about helping us and the club/Corney backed him a couple of games ago.

It's much more than a cinema. Complete regeneration of the town centre underway including the town hall, sports centre, mumps, the business triangle. Something I fear will not be seen through to completion by his successor

Also developing district centres like Royton where new health centres and sports centres have pushed on.

I actually live in shaw, the forgotten town but I believe it's the shaw people fighting against the council which has seen the deprivation flourish, rather than the council not caring. If they had voted labour 10 years ago we might not be in the position we are now.

McMahon was welcomed with open arms by tta when he got in. Maybe, just maybe we might have a sports Park 2000, redeveloped boundary Park or some other entity by now if he had been around at the time working with us rather than against

Edited by philliggi

Done wonders? Like what?

I don't live in Oldham so make of this what you will:

http://www.lgcplus.com/Journals/2012/03/21/g/u/x/lgcawardswinners_txt_reduced.pdf- pg 11

http://www.lgcplus.com/Journals/2014/03/20/a/z/k/The-2014-Awards-Winners-Supplement.pdf- pg 13

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/press/article/574/independent_review_hails_oldham_councils_remarkable_transformation- peer review can be downloaded at the bottom of the article

It also appears overall satisfaction with the council has increased from 22% in 2008 to 65% in the 2015 survey (still lower than national average but looks like it's going in the right direction)

It's much more than a cinema. Complete regeneration of the town centre underway including the town hall, sports centre, mumps, the business triangle. Something I fear will not be seen through to completion by his successor

Also developing district centres like Royton where new health centres and sports centres have pushed on.

I actually live in shaw, the forgotten town but I believe it's the shaw people fighting against the council which has seen the deprivation flourish, rather than the council not caring. If they had voted labour 10 years ago we might not be in the position we are now.

McMahon was welcomed with open arms by tta when he got in. Maybe, just maybe we might have a sports Park 2000, redeveloped boundary Park or some other entity by now if he had been around at the time working with us rather than against

I also reside in the town that time forgot but have the same admiration for McMahon. Lots of new businesses are starting up in Oldham these days.

I'm not a Labour supporter but McMahon has been good for the town and helped Latics. He is highly regarded in local government circles and (I believe) the sole reason Labour's vote didn't bomb at the by-election. He has also been a winner of the national Leader of the Year award.

Unlike with Corney, Oldhams citizens can have a go if they think they can do better.

Jim has done a lot for the town including mumps and the cinema, problem is he's stuck it all on the towns credit card. His ideas all centre on private investment and he's not had it. The town is in over a quarter of a billion in debt.

I know Oldham well and there's some truth in that but something needed to be done and he had the balls to do it, under his leadership the town has attracted a M&S which will keep shoppers in the town, the cinema complex will also keep people in town, the Oldham in bloom stuff has lifted the perception of the town.

With the tram now in place, people who would never have considered living in Oldham might now be tempted with the low house prices, I've met him a couple of times and been impressed by his enthusiasm and his willingness to get things done.

I know Oldham well and there's some truth in that but something needed to be done and he had the balls to do it, under his leadership the town has attracted a M&S which will keep shoppers in the town, the cinema complex will also keep people in town, the Oldham in bloom stuff has lifted the perception of the town.

With the tram now in place, people who would never have considered living in Oldham might now be tempted with the low house prices, I've met him a couple of times and been impressed by his enthusiasm and his willingness to get things done.

The only people moving into Oldham are from Romania and South Asia in the main. M&S have been paid £6,000,000 to move here apparently. The town has not attracted a cinema, he's just building one. That's the problem Odeon or Cineworld didn't think it was worth the cash to build in the town hall so the taxpayer of Oldham is paying for it.

He's a force for good but don't be blinded.

The only people moving into Oldham are from Romania and South Asia in the main. M&S have been paid £6,000,000 to move here apparently. The town has not attracted a cinema, he's just building one. That's the problem Odeon or Cineworld didn't think it was worth the cash to build in the town hall so the taxpayer of Oldham is paying for it.

More than just a cinema;

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/oldham-town-hall-cinema-pictures-8929411

In the interests of forming some sort of comparison how would you see the town looking under your leadership?

You're on crack

M and S have received a £9m incentive to locate to Oldham.....not unusual in itself but we the council tax payers are paying a private company £9m for the privilege of being to spend more money with them