Miracles at OAFC are Possible!

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

Just finished reading the excellent book "Bobby Johnstone - The Passing of an Age".

He came to Latics in Autumn 1960 when we were rooted at the foot of the old division 4 with a real possibility of dropping out of the league altogether. Crowds were down to a hardcore of around 5,000 to 6,000.

He made his debut at BP against Exeter in front of a crowd of 17,116 !! Utterly incredible that one player could generate such interest - and he scored and played a leading role in a 5-2 win. 28,000 turned out for the home game against Peterborough the following February! It's a really remarkable story and everyone connected with the club comments in the book that, as one player, he effectively saved Latics and filled the coffers in a miraculous way. From being "dead and buried" that season, following his arrival, Latics embarked on a run of 20 league games with 14 wins, 2 draws and just 4 defeats.

So you see - miracles are possible!

By the way - after finishing his Latics career - he rented a council maisonette in Hollinwood!

A cracking read if anyone wants to know what football used to be like - never had the privilege of seeing him myself as 10 years before my time following Latics but described as "simply a genius" of a footballer by some very knowledgeable football people..

They were great days - but a different era when class internationals took a step down to lower divisions

Bobby certainly put thousands on the gate and I remember his debut and his career with us

Joined us in 60/61 and the 62/3 team that got promoted was guided by him , a wonderful creator of goals , and a genuine legend .

He later was quite a force in the local crown green bowls scene

Massive credit to manager Jack Rowley for getting him, and other players that turned the early 60s from re-election scraps to promotion

Bert Lister, Ken Branagan, Colin Whitaker, Jimmy Frizzell, Jim Bowie...supporters of my generation revere those players.

Simpler days - but we probably never imagined that we'd ever get into the top flight, so that was an even bigger thrill.

Guest nonaenever

All about connections really - and as LaticsPete said - it was a different era where ego didn't really come into it too much - just a genuine love of the game. Apparently an ex city player called Bill Spurdle, who had played with Bobby, was the catalyst - and Bobby was very impressed with the Latics board and their honesty.

Just finished reading the excellent book "Bobby Johnstone - The Passing of an Age".

He came to Latics in Autumn 1960 when we were rooted at the foot of the old division 4 with a real possibility of dropping out of the league altogether. Crowds were down to a hardcore of around 5,000 to 6,000.

He made his debut at BP against Exeter in front of a crowd of 17,116 !! Utterly incredible that one player could generate such interest - and he scored and played a leading role in a 5-2 win. 28,000 turned out for the home game against Peterborough the following February! It's a really remarkable story and everyone connected with the club comments in the book that, as one player, he effectively saved Latics and filled the coffers in a miraculous way. From being "dead and buried" that season, following his arrival, Latics embarked on a run of 20 league games with 14 wins, 2 draws and just 4 defeats.

So you see - miracles are possible!

By the way - after finishing his Latics career - he rented a council maisonette in Hollinwood!

A cracking read if anyone wants to know what football used to be like - never had the privilege of seeing him myself as 10 years before my time following Latics but described as "simply a genius" of a footballer by some very knowledgeable football people..

My debut as a supporter as well,

my dad took me just because BJ had signed, never left the centre circle except to leave the pitch at HT and FT or take a free kick yet dominated a match.

It was in the good old days when even world class players wouldn't think twice about dropping a division or two.

Mainly for 2 reasons -

1/ love of the game

2/ Money , because a lot didn't know anything else and had to make a living.

Far cry from todays lot !!!!

My grandad's view was that Johnstone was the best player he'd ever seen in a Latics shirt. Mind you, he didn't live to see Dominic Poleon.

Johnstone was born a few streets from my house and is, not surprisingly, a hero in Selkirk too. The clubroom at Yarrow Park, Selkirk FC's ground, is named after him.

He did stay in Oldham after retirement, playing cricket for Saddleworth, until moving back to Selkirk in 2000 and died a year later.

I think that the new houses being built behind the Chaddy at the moment are on Johnstone Close! The current ones are Boundary Drive .. so who knows what phase 3 will be ... Ritchie Way? Royle Drive lol

Jan Budtz Close.

Edited by BP1960

I, too, was there at Bobby Johnstone's debut. For one player to instantly add over 11,000 to the gate was incredible. BJ had the most amazing football brain and it was worth the admission money just to watch him and no one else. He probably gave rise to the expression "He gave defenders twisted blood". Here's a perfect example. You've got to feel sorry for the defender.

632oHYx.jpg?1

Yes, miracles do happen. Blackpool managed one a few seasons ago, so here's hoping we can climb out of this mess and move onwards and upwards. We won't be finding another Bobby Johnstone yet, though, I imagine.

Funny that this thread should turn to street names. The street in Selkirk where Bobby was born has long since been demolished with housing association houses going up in that area. The closest Street is now called Bobby Johnstone Green.

Sorry! Ha ha

At least he won't be forgotten around Boundary Park tho