Independent Article

Some interesting points revealed about the season so far:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/oldham-athletic-the-land-just-matters-more-than-the-club-a6828216.html

The Hill point stinks - I wonder if he will be questioned about that on Monday evening.

It won't happen, but another case for fan ownership if I've ever seen one.

Edited by NewBlue

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's either a well researched piece or one that's based on half truths and "sources".

The 4 players meant to have come in before millwall - are they including Wellens and mvoto?

Some very specific wage details listed - they can only be accurate if someone inside the club provided them. So is there a credible mole?

I'm sure there's truth in the article but am not convinced that we should take all of it as gospel

It's either a well researched piece or one that's based on half truths and "sources".

The 4 players meant to have come in before millwall - are they including Wellens and mvoto?

Some very specific wage details listed - they can only be accurate if someone inside the club provided them. So is there a credible mole?

I'm sure there's truth in the article but am not convinced that we should take all of it as gospel

Looks like a little bit of both, I'm sure Brassbank are making a decent return, but the article contains "journalistic licence"

I agree.

The number of people privy to individual wages at Oldham you will be able to count on one hand.

Chairman, Chief Exec, Manager, HR/Payroll. Some agents and players who talk will know bit and pieces, but not Shirtliff.

It paints a picture of Brass Bank as some mysterious unknown company. Whilst we would all like to know more, you can find plenty by a cursory check and people on here have done so.

But we know exactly who owns Brass Bank.

And it has been quoted often enough. If enough money is offered it will be sold lock stock and barrell. It is not confirmable that would be at least £6m. It would well be significantly less.

It also implies that Sirtliff is single handlely repsonsible for saving us on his 18,000.

It also implies that MVoto is worth his original £1k when we all know he is not now and no club will pay him that.

And who knows how much Wellens went to Shrewsbury for. He could have gone all out for the money and gone for £625 pw for all we know. Donny were desperate to shift him, that is for sure.

But Dunn could have spilled the beans, it gets him off lightly compared to the tone of the rest of the article.........

Edited by singe

Independent article - "Oldham have had a :censored: year and have made questionable business decisions"

I'm stunned. So let me get this right, we aren't being run competently? We aren't doing well in the league?

I've had the wool pulled over my eyes. Thank goodness for such cutting edge reporting!

It's rather cheeky making out that the football debts are from the acquisition of the land and we're now a profitable club. They've overspent a lot on players attempting to go up and stay up and variables in one year don't paint a true picture. Of course we'd love to know how the club will benefit from the new facilities but there's nothing to show here.

To be honest it lost me at, "Northwest impoverishment." :censored:.

To put the assistant manager bollocks the paper said, a local league 2 side have a vacancy working with their youth team assistant youth team manager for 18000. Don't believe everything you read!

Not the first time we have been associated with paying 2 or 3 hundred a week though is it, Kelly was reputed to be being paid a similar amount, its time fans took a stand against these 'owners' who frankly are running this club into the ground.

Without any fans they'd have :censored: all yet they continue to neglect the team in favour of investing in the parts of the business that really benefit them, the team is an after thought with the fans even less thought of, whilst theres enough prepared to be mugged off every week and pay the £22 we will bob along dicing with relegation hoping we can can get lucky for another season whilst everything around us is being sold off with zero benefit to the team,

This season is proof if ever you needed it that we have been sold down the river and the only way we can move forward is if our team is took over by someone who actually gives a :censored:.

Blatantly a piece written using a lot of information from a man who mid-week was telling the Manchester Evening News that he wanted to leave the club with "dignity". A few points have been raised which will help the Corney Out camp - I sit in it to be honest - but it's an awful article in my view.

Not the first time we have been associated with paying 2 or 3 hundred a week though is it, Kelly was reputed to be being paid a similar amount, its time fans took a stand against these 'owners' who frankly are running this club into the ground.

Without any fans they'd have :censored: all yet they continue to neglect the team in favour of investing in the parts of the business that really benefit them, the team is an after thought with the fans even less thought of, whilst theres enough prepared to be mugged off every week and pay the £22 we will bob along dicing with relegation hoping we can can get lucky for another season whilst everything around us is being sold off with zero benefit to the team,

This season is proof if ever you needed it that we have been sold down the river and the only way we can move forward is if our team is took over by someone who actually gives a :censored:.

I would have thought they could run the club into the ground much faster by paying a manager £30K a week rather than £300 a week. And running the club into the ground is the last thing they would want as they definitely get absolutely zero return on their recent investment in the new stand.

How come you are so privy to the normal rates of pay?

If they really wanted to run the club to the ground the would have kept Dunn, or even Kelly on.

And would not have sanctioned 8 loan signings.

And sacked the manager and got an experienced and proven track track we clamourwd for.

It didn't take long for the peace to be shattered.

Agree upthelatics! Load of rubbish not worth reading if you haven't already!

Undoubtedly written with an agenda....however the key question is, how close or how far away are they?

To dismiss it out of hand seems to me to be fraught with as much danger as accepting it as gospel. It will be somewhere in between

Eh?

It's all pretty much common knowledge. Isn't it?

Indeed.

Whose reputation stands to gain most out if this article?

Someone whose managerial record is very poor, yet that was not even mentioned

Who had a cosseted career and was shocked by the conditions in League One. Conditions that have been the same for decades, yet it is somehow portrayed as a revelation.

The person that tried so hard under these conditions, and was not able to muster a home win.

Do you remember when Dowie peddled the myth about his meagre budget under Moore? He got other jobs on the back of his miraculous skill. Those used to hearing about £100k a week players buy it. We knew different then, and we know the reality now.

There may or may not be inaccuracies in there with regards to the detail but the fundamental point being made is 100 percent accurate.

The division that oafc is in has very little impact on OEC profits so why wouldn't corney run the football club a shoe string? Why do you think the OEC has so little OAFC branding on it. Look at the website - no real reference to latics to speak of. This disassociation is a conscious decision. The less connection between OEC and oafc from a branding point point the better for the success of OEC. It means OEC as a business isnt associated with a failing brand and so when oafc declines it doesnt drag OEC down with it.