• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The drainage has gone and if the Groundsman can't authorise the purchase of a bag of fertiliser there is no chance of the drainage being fixed. The drainage was a legacy of Chris Moore,paid for with with money we didn't have. The subsequent years of under investment have taken their toll on the pitch. We now have a pitch that isn't fit for league Football.ironically we have a stand that is,but the fans that sit in it have nothing to watch when we get heavy rain. Even worse we have more pies and caviar to throw away,causing increased losses to OAFC every time there is a cancellation.

The drainage has gone and if the Groundsman can't authorise the purchase of a bag of fertiliser there is no chance of the drainage being fixed. The drainage was a legacy of Chris Moore,paid for with with money we didn't have. The subsequent years of under investment have taken their toll on the pitch. We now have a pitch that isn't fit for league Football.ironically we have a stand that is,but the fans that sit in it have nothing to watch when we get heavy rain. Even worse we have more pies and caviar to throw away,causing increased losses to OAFC every time there is a cancellation.

So it's nothing to do with the wettest winter on record? Interesting.

We have the 2nd highest pitch in the country and get much harsher weather than most. We are after all on the edge of the pennines.

Third - West Brom and Port Vale.

I saw the Carlisle pitch on the TV last Sunday in the FA Cup tie with Everton. If you recall that was under water nearly up to the crossbars - and it looked bloody good to me. This club is scrimping in all areas and the results are there for all to see.

We were talking about this yesterday.

The 'Deso' pitch was purchased 15 years ago by OMBC at a cost of £500,000 - Corney and co. refunded this as part of their purchase of the club, ground and surrounding land in early 2004.

The problem we have is that the pitch is now beyond its shelf life. The pitch needs a certain amount of sand to help it drain but the sand there now has broken down to a very fine level. This means it clumps and the pitch doesn't drain - it is now the wrong type of sand if you will. As coarser sand drink better.(You couldn't make it up!) But that's the reality. The pitch needs completely relaying and the top inches or so scraping right down. A new pitch would cost us in the region of £800K - £1.2M.

I saw the Carlisle pitch on the TV last Sunday in the FA Cup tie with Everton. If you recall that was under water nearly up to the crossbars - and it looked bloody good to me. This club is scrimping in all areas and the results are there for all to see.

They totally relaid it from grass grown elsewhere.

I thought Port Vale was highest, but this link says we are still 2nd. if it's correct.

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/stadia/england_highest.htm

After the 2005 flood, Carlisle built a completely new drainage system and completely new pitch. A local company used to supply turf to Wimbledon and I believe substantially contributed.

As Blueatheart said, it was a new pitch after the flood -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3396156/Carlisle-United-150-000-new-pitch-laid-floods-left-Brunton-Park-underwater.html

Considering the rain prior, the pitch looked pretty good at the beginning of January, even after all that rain in December including floods on Boxing day

https://youtu.be/I9YDzkvxdL4

So I think it a bit harsh to suddenly call it. Especially given the volume of rain since.

Some on Twitter are saying a drain had collapsed too, not helping the situation.

You can't suddenly dig the pitch up mid winter, the turf will hardly grow back in a week or too.

We have played four first team games at home since the 24th November, regardless of the weather we've had the pitch really should be in better condition.

Many amateur games went ahead in the Borough over the weekend, even if you have a walk on Clayton all of those pitches which have seen two or three games a weekend over the past couple of months are in better condition, in fact the pitches on Crossley put ours to shame, what is the real reason for this because there is no doubt it could be another factor in us being relegated, for a professional club its another embarrassment, everything about the club is non-league at the minute its being run into the ground.

We have played four first team games at home since the 24th November, regardless of the weather we've had the pitch really should be in better condition.

Many amateur games went ahead in the Borough over the weekend, even if you have a walk on Clayton all of those pitches which have seen two or three games a weekend over the past couple of months are in better condition, in fact the pitches on Crossley put ours to shame, what is the real reason for this because there is no doubt it could be another factor in us being relegated, for a professional club its another embarrassment, everything about the club is non-league at the minute its being run into the ground.

Haven't the youth/kids played a few cup games on there as well and they went into extra time. Remember them playing during heavy rain as well.

If the pitch is so poor why are the youth team playing on the pitch? surely they could play their games at a local non league venue.

FA Rules;
VENUE FOR MATCHES
(a) Venue
(i) The venue of each match will be that of the first drawn Club unless the consent of the Council has been obtained to any change of venue up to and including the Fifth Round Proper.
(ii) No monetary or other consideration shall be asked for, offered or paid in connection with negotiations for a change of venue.
(iii) A match shall not be played on a neutral ground without the consent of the Council.
(iv) In any event, the Council shall have the power to order that any match be played on an alternative ground or date, if it is considered appropriate and necessary. For ties switched from the ground of the Club first drawn, the Council shall determine the financial conditions in which the tie shall be played.