FT: Scunthorpe United 1 Oldham Athletic 1

Didn't go to the game but the comments of us looking sluggish are concerning a little.

March sees us play a lot of football and fatigue could be our enemy.

I didn't see it that way, we badly missed Holloway who can hold the ball up and give the defence a breather, Main puts a shift in but is predominantly a hustle and bustle type and so the ball just didn't stick up top.

As a result we were nowhere near as threatening yesterday, I reckon we would probably have won that game with Holloway in the team and it's imperative for us he stays fit for the remainder of the season.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coleman is going to be a very good keeper...

I'm not convinced. That save from the free kick yesterday was great and had we won, it would only be because he'd kept us until it at 0-0. However, he does make an awful lot of errors and his positioning and command of his area are currently big weaknesses.

Hopefully he'll improve those aspects of his game but I struggle to see the sort of potential that was obvious in Tarkowski early in his career.

He's still :censored: loads better than Cornell though.

Is that Coleman whose let in three goals in 6 games, one of which was a worldy from 30+ yards, would any keeper at our level in any team be facing the same :censored: Coleman does of his own fans?

As for my comments coming across as hypocritical deryes I will defend players and managers who I feel are up to the task, Coleman is as good as we can hope for but your love in and defence of Dunn and Cornell still a little mystifying, for all Colemans faults he is by far the better keeper and if you look at his stats it's staggering how much better off we are with him rather than Cornell.

I agree that Coleman is the better keeper and could be very good, but Coleman isn't as good and Cornell isn't as bad as you think.

It's more likely that Cornell will end up being :censored: than good, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell settles a lot better with the current defensive setup (back four and Shirtliff) if he is brought back in for whatever reason.

From a perspective of 'blame', its pretty straightforward - If he has shouted its all on Dieng.... If he hasn't then he has to take responsibility in the changing rooms.

As a goalkeeping 'mistake'if thats what it was, then I think it is a positive one for Coleman to make. He is at his best attacking the ball, and we defend better when he does. A goalkeeper at our level should be coming for a flat ball in that area without an attacker in sight.

Not having been to the game though you cannot judge the decision without context.

He has to be consistent. Had he been coming for those deliveries all game? If he hasn't then it makes it very difficult for a shocked defender when the unexpected shout comes!

Gerrard is out of order with his reaction. Keep it for the changing rooms under the managers guise if you are going to let it rip like that. There were still 5 minutes or so left following the goal - What possibly could he gain?

Cornell came for nothing - and when he did try and do so he looked completely all at sea. He made life impossible for his defenders at times and I cannot see him in a Latics shirt again.

I agree that Coleman is the better keeper and could be very good, but Coleman isn't as good and Cornell isn't as bad as you think.

It's more likely that Cornell will end up being :censored: than good, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell settles a lot better with the current defensive setup (back four and Shirtliff) if he is brought back in for whatever reason.

If Cornell plays I'll support him but he is truly :censored:.

I'd be more confident with Budzt being on our bench than Cornell.

Gerrard is out of order with his reaction. Keep it for the changing rooms under the managers guise if you are going to let it rip like that. There were still 5 minutes or so left following the goal - What possibly could he gain?

Are you referring to Gerrard's reaction to the goal or the argument he apparently had with Shez at the end?

If it's the immediate reaction to the goal then I'm happy at his reaction. It's about time we had someone who is furious and lets the rest of the team know when we concede a :censored: goal.

Are you referring to Gerrard's reaction to the goal or the argument he apparently had with Shez at the end?

If it's the immediate reaction to the goal then I'm happy at his reaction. It's about time we had someone who is furious and lets the rest of the team know when we concede a :censored: goal.

Both if true.

Looking at the highlights, the shot should have been stopped after the confusion. He was one of the players who should have stopped it.

He has a young goalkeeper who I am sure he knows is fragile..... and also who is prone to follow up errors when his confidence is affected. I am not saying he should say or do nothing - but not at that time in that way.

He also appears to me to be far happier dishing that out than being on the receiving end. What would have happened if Coleman had reacted in the same way?

As for him getting into an altercation with Shez....... Not good in any way shape or form.

He has been great for us - and has clearly been a major factor in our revival. I do have concerns over his character long term in our dressing room however.

Exactly, Gerrard was totally pissed off at conceding that goal, whether it was perhaps he could have cleared it or just the frustration at letting 3 points slip it doesn't matter. The rest of the players should be as annoyed as him, I love it when players show passion, with Gerrard playing in our back 4 from now till the end of the season it bodes well, and Dieng will learn an awful lot from him.

Both if true.

Looking at the highlights, the shot should have been stopped after the confusion. He was one of the players who should have stopped it.

He has a young goalkeeper who I am sure he knows is fragile..... and also who is prone to follow up errors when his confidence is affected. I am not saying he should say or do nothing - but not at that time in that way.

He also appears to me to be far happier dishing that out than being on the receiving end. What would have happened if Coleman had reacted in the same way?

As for him getting into an altercation with Shez....... Not good in any way shape or form.

He has been great for us - and has clearly been a major factor in our revival. I do have concerns over his character long term in our dressing room however.

Yes, you can see why he has run into problems at other clubs, just concentrate on your own job.

Our result on Tuesday will say whether this is a good point or not.

Win against Vale and this was another good point on the way.....lose, and suddenly the 2 dropped points will look more harmful.

That's nonsense. It's a good point. Losing against Vale would be bad on the night, but it doesn't alter a good away point at a very in form side on Saturday.

Ps. I noticed today that Dieng often doesn't hear goalkeeper shouts.

Yep, I saw at least 2 instances in first half on Saturday where Coleman screamed for it and Dieng ignored him and headed it away.

I suspect that this happened for their goal as well judging by Coleman's reaction on the highlights.

Can't blame the keeper if he's called for it and the defender ignores this and flicks it on for opposition.

Yep, I saw at least 2 instances in first half on Saturday where Coleman screamed for it and Dieng ignored him and headed it away.

I suspect that this happened for their goal as well judging by Coleman's reaction on the highlights.

Can't blame the keeper if he's called for it and the defender ignores this and flicks it on for opposition.

Sounds like Coleman should just clean him out next time.

Away following reported as being 989 on Saturday, that's a great effort all things considered.

When you consider we've also had Wigan and Blackpool away in the last 2 weeks and taken another 2500 that's phenomenal. It just shows the interest is there, we've just been starved of any success for far too long!!

If Shez can keep us up and we sign the key players for next season it could give season ticket sales a real boost!

Guest nonaenever

How did Jones look yesterday, we really need him fit and firing? Where did he fit in?

Btw no excuse for going for a piss in the last 5 minutes of a match

Jonesey looked very bright when he came on - played him on the left of midfield. And my wee wee wasn't in the last 5 mins - that's when they equalised - mind you I felt like pissing my pants then as well ! Main worry - we looked tired - hope that was just a blip and we can get refreshed for tomorrow.