Reality Check John?

I wonder if John has got to know these guys yet? I hope he took note today! I have known for a few years now, actually at least 2 years. And now we are relying on them to be strong. We are seeing what we all actually knew. With the exception of Palmer, Dummighan, Gerrard, Holloway whom

; we are now witnessing ( I mean today as well as the rest of this season), just what our mainstream contract players are made of! That is a roundabout way of saying that I am sad that we have to rely on the character, attitude and tenacity of the likes of Mike Jones, Carl Winchester, Joseph Mills, Jonathan Forte and possibly Joel Coleman. John, learn quick mate, I know you ain't been here for a few years but building a midfield around soft arses such as Jones, Winchester and Mills is a recipe for disaster and you got it in spades today. I personally wouldn't rely on any one of them, and I wouldn't know how to motivate them either because they are cowards.

Gulf in class appeared evident yesterday I'm afraid, Oldham Nil. As previous two posters said. Run was going to come to an end and Sheff U where simply the better side in this match. I trust Shez to know what he's doing more so than the previous two epic fails of 'coaches' and we focus on Blackpool now.

Granted it's not done us any damage as far as the table goes. Opportunity missed definitely. But I think the manner of defeat is the problem. And it's happened too many times over the last couple of seasons. No fight, no passion, no interest. And it's the same culprits each time. Dunn came out and said openly what the problem was. Maybe he did it without thinking, maybe he did it because he hoped it'd get a reaction. It didn't work.

Shez won't say it. But I'm pretty sure we'll see a mass clear out of all the problem players this summer. Good riddance.

Edited by nzlatic

Shez won't say it. But I'm pretty sure we'll see a mass clear out of all the problem players this summer. Good riddance.

Are there any that aren't problem players?

We'll do well to get a whole new and improved squad in, especially if we're relegated.

Are there any that aren't problem players?

We'll do well to get a whole new and improved squad in, especially if we're relegated.

We might not need to have a whole new squad. A few going might do the trick. I'm not talking about ability, just attitude. We have too many happy to coast, that's why we can never string more than a couple of wins together even ok the odd occasion we are on a good run.

We might not need to have a whole new squad. A few going might do the trick. I'm not talking about ability, just attitude. We have too many happy to coast, that's why we can never string more than a couple of wins together even on the odd occasion we are on a good run.

I would be happy if we could string a couple of wins together and pretty soon.

First two replies sum it up well. Did we expect to go another 13 games unbeaten? 1 defeat in 8. Repeat that last 8 results again and we will probably be fine. Other teams are in worse positions than us with their teams current mental strength.

Losing is one thing - shipping three goals without reply is another. Goal difference is important where we are. Still don't think any of our strikers will score five goals before the end of the season. Teams around us are banging them in. Expecting relegation.

Not even certain that collectively they will score five.

Losing is one thing - shipping three goals without reply is another. Goal difference is important where we are. Still don't think any of our strikers will score five goals before the end of the season. Teams around us are banging them in. Expecting relegation.

Bit harsh

It's now a mini league with us blackpool and Doncaster. Not arsed about anyone else now. And I wouldn't say blackpool and Doncaster are banging them in.

Wide open yet

Not ideal, I grant you, especially the abysmal defending for all three goals. But it's one game. We didn't lose any of the previous seven. Getting anything at Sheffield would only have been a bonus. The big games that we really have to look to win, if we want to survive, are those against the teams around us, starting tomorrow night.

Gulf in class appeared evident yesterday I'm afraid, Oldham Nil. As previous two posters said. Run was going to come to an end and Sheff U where simply the better side in this match. I trust Shez to know what he's doing more so than the previous two epic fails of 'coaches' and we focus on Blackpool now.

Apart from when it comes to signing strikers who can score.

We've won at Bramhall Lane twice since 1910. I was there when we won in the late 1980s, one of our magnificent performances from the period! I think their manager got sacked.

Bottom line - we very rarely win there. Move on.

I was at that game too. 5-0!! and as you say, magnificent was the word that day and their manager did indeed get sacked after the match, Billy McKewen. Don't think he managed again.

Apart from when it comes to signing strikers who can score.

Coleman can score the goals for all I care as long as we have the work rate of Holloway and Main. They might not be Aguero or Messi but they give us what we haven't had this season, the desire to chase and fight. They simply give a :censored: about what they do. Edited by Chris Richard

Coleman can score the goals for all I care as long as we have the work rate of Holloway and Main. They might not be Aguero or Messi but they give us what we haven't had this season, the desire to chase and fight. They simply give a :censored: about what they do.

The fact is if either of those two added 15-20 goals a season to their game, there's no way they'd be playing for Latics in League 1

I'm sure Sheridan knows all the weaknesses he wants to correct in summer but knows if we have any chance of survival this year that he needs to give the team he has got at his disposal the confidence to give it a good go. He has learnt massively from Dunns mistakes...

As the Buddha saying goes ''a wise man learns from his own mistakes, an even wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.''

I'm sure Sheridan knows all the weaknesses he wants to correct in summer but knows if we have any chance of survival this year that he needs to give the team he has got at his disposal the confidence to give it a good go. He has learnt massively from Dunns mistakes...

As the Buddha saying goes ''a wise man learns from his own mistakes, an even wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.''

Sheridan did not learn from Dunn, he had far greater knowledge and experience in managing people already. Had Shez been appointed earlier, we would not have been in the position we are in. Johnson got majority (just, but majority nonetheless) of the same players near the play offs, Shez could have done from the start of the season too.

Edited by singe

Sheridan did not learn from Dunn, he had far greater knowledge and experience in managing people already. Had Shez been appointed earlier, we would not have been in the position we are in. Johnson got majority (just, but majority nonetheless) of the same players near the play offs, Shez could have done from the start of the season too.

Johnson has something about him, obviously. But the thing about him and this team he 'took to the play offs' (via a 3 month run of good results, the rest of the time it was bad) - he had some notable additions. He had Rachubka (now Championship), Lockwood and Elokobi (the latter 2 were injured a lot, granted, but would have been important in organising the defence whether on the pitch or in training). Up front he had Ibehre and Forte hitting his one and only career purple patch. None of those players were replaced in the summer and Forte has been injured.

For all the supposed due dilligence Johnson did with signings, since then he hasn't signed any of the squad he had here for Barnsley or Bristol City, not one! And I'm sure it wouldn't have taken much money to get any of them. The only ones he signed I think were our loans - Ibehre and Wilkinson.

Incidentally, Dunn's team's better performances and results came after he signed Dummigan, Lafferty and Higdon. If he'd have got Gerrard maybe things wouldn't have been so bad under him.

And Sheridan's were after he signed Gerrard, Palmer, Holloway and Main. 4 players now key to us picking up any points.

Of the core squad remaining who have been here for the last couple of years, there are very few I'd be that fussed about if they left in the summer. And very few I reckon who'll get a club in a better position than us.

We've got the right man now to keep us up this season and unite the fans, but in the summer, if we want to compete in the top half next season, in my opinion of the current contracted players we'd only be starting Dieng, Gerrard (if he'd sign), Kelly and a fit Jones. Lets see how many of the 2014/15 Play off Squad ever get in the league 1 play offs or better again. For any team.

The myth plenty on here were spouting that Sheridan could "get a tune" out of our current squad can finally be dispelled. As nzlatic says, our best, most effective players all season have been loan signings, which is a damning comment three quarters of the way into the season.

We're in the bottom 4 for a reason and that's 100% down to the players not being good enough. If they were we wouldn't have needed to use 43 of them.