Your wife and Oldham Athletic?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first date with my wife was at a Tuesday night Latics match in the 90s v Man City. We got thrashed I seem to remember and my then girlfriend was getting rather excited as the goals went in. Little did I know at the time is that she had soft spot for Man City.

I once took a bird young lady to a game. It didn't last long after that.

Mrs 24 has been about three or four times, including once when we played Portsmouth, which was her dad's team. She ordered me to go in the Oldham end for the second half, even if it meant paying twice.

To which you replied, " I'm staying here"

No, me neither.

After being absent from latics for a couple of decades, I met the current hubby and after a couple of seasons of him raging at the tv watching the great unwashed. I lost it told them what a pile of garbage and that I am a latics fan, he was so stunned we ended up going to BP a week later to watch Joe Royale's return.

He suffered for a couple of seasons both home and away with us but has gone off the boil since.

So it's role reversal, I'm of to the match, he stays at home usually cooking something more edible than I can produce. At least I'm well fed, the beers are chilled and the heating is on, on my return and maybe a bath run if I'm lucky. At least he knows not to ask for the results anymore.

Happy days...ha

Edited by underdog

My missus of four years follows the games purely to see how pissed off i'll be when I get in. She doesn't like football but will pretend to take an interest.

She's been a couple of times to the big games but hasn't fully forgiven me from when I uppercutted her celebrating matt smiths Everton equaliser.

Comprised this year and got my first season ticket since we got together....with the stipulation being that I wouldn't do away games. By August id got that upto 5 and now I think she's stopped counting as I've already passed that.

My wifes knowledge of Latics players is limited to Alan Groves, Andy Goram and Andy Ritchie. Why she only talks of these three and no others I still can't comprehend.

She hasn't a clue who plays for the club now.

Edited by BP1960

I don't think my dad's on here but he could tell a tale or two about my mother, starting with how I was mysteriously conceived on or around a Saturday when we won 6-0 at home. Never got an explanation for that one.

My mum learned the stock phrases but slipped up a couple of times. To my dad, she'd say she liked Mick Quinn because of his work rate. She'd tell her mates she liked him because of his massive arse. My dad should've twigged early on when she missed a goal and complained about the lack of an action replay.

My wife's (then girlfriend) first ever football match was us drawing 0-0 with Wycombe. The game where there was a sit in protest against Lees's at the end. Probably the worst of the several hundred games I'd ever been to at the time.

Her second, and final, match was a Tuesday night away game at Barnsley (1-1 Vernon scored). I'd picked up a new Vauxhall Vectra that day and talked her into a romantic country drive.

She turned over from whatever she was watching for the last 5 minutes of the 2-2 with Everton the other year.

Edited by HarryBosch

Saturday - 15:00
Wife: Who are Oldham playing today?

Me: Appropriate answer

Wife: Who? Are they in your division?
Me: Yes, otherwise they wouldn't be playing them.
Wife: It's not a cup match, then?
Me: Nope.

Saturday - 17:00
Wife: Did they lose again?
Me: Yep. (Unless they won)

Its not just football, recently my wife glanced at an England cricket match I was watching on TV when they showed a pie chart of where the batsman had scored his runs.

"That's a funny name for a player" she said "Morgan Wagonwheel"

Its not just football, recently my wife glanced at an England cricket match I was watching on TV when they showed a pie chart of where the batsman had scored his runs.

"That's a funny name for a player" she said "Morgan Wagonwheel"

A wagonwheel so isn't a pie chart.

Very sorry, sometimes the accountant in me just can't be held back.

This.

The Brisbane Lions AFL team are equally as shocking as Latics. Both fuel her fire for the Sunday roast!

To be fair, when we did our Euro trip 3 years ago , she did go to the Donny game on boxing day.

We were late as Tracey was late back from shopping and we had to pick up my dad so we missed the kick off.

When we sat down in the Rocky in the driest place, Latics were kicking off.

She: See we haven't missed the kick off after all.

Me: Doncaster have just scored

She: oh. So why are we starting again? No wonder it takes so long, we will be here all day.

10 mins later...

She: so what's the score now?

Me: still 1-0

She: who to?

Me: still Doncaster

She: :censored: it's cold.

Me: would you like me to get you anything?

She: yes can you get me a skinny latte?

Me: it's not the MCG love it's boundary park.

You can have regular coffee or Bovril.

She: What the hell is Bovril?

Me: Bovril it is

To her credit, she actually got through it.

When Mchangama scored, after everyone had sat down again, she sat for a bit and said, so is that 2-0?

At half time, she went off and bought three pies, two Bovril and a coffee for her. After two sips she swapped it for my Bovril.

She had also never seen horizontal rain before. We sat right in the middle of the Rocky, at the back and we still got wet.

I don't think that she has ever recovered from the experience and it has scarred her for life as far as sharing any of my interests.