If Evans is now found not guilty at retrial would you be ok with us signing him?

If Evans is found not guilty would you now sign him?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. If Evans is found not guilty would you now be OK with us signing him?

• I would and I would have done last time round
    • I was against it last time round but would be OK with us signing him now if not guilty
    • I was against it last time and I still wouldn't want us to sign him
    • I was for it last time but wouldn't want to sign him if now (you never know?)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said he should be treated as you and I. I possess little footballing ability ergo chances of latics signing me are none. Therefore if he's treated like me we won't sign him. I clearly have no future in comedy either.

OK get it now thanks

Cant see him signing for anybody unti after the re-trial and that may not start for months so I doubt he will be available for next season

after that IF he is proved innocent then why not sign a wrongly convicted innocent man.

if we judged footballer for their morals then alot of careers would be over before they began at every single level.

This for me 100% against it at the time if he is fully cleared and the manager at that time wants to sign him then Im ok after re trial as you would hope signing him wouldn't lead to half of her majestys press camped out on furtherwood road for a week for all the wrong reasons.

Convicted Ched Evans, would become Previously convicted Ched Evans. Press would still give us :censored:, as would many fans around the country. For now though, he is still on trial for 2 months until his hearing, and even then he may get re-tried in a higher court. 4 years of not playing football, and he was a lower Championship/League one player before that. I dont get the need for dragging us into the limelight again, guilty or not Id steer clear and focus on other players

What if Sheff Utd, Bristol City and other bigger clubs than us were in for him and he said he was signing for us because he felt he owed us after the first time round...??

yeh :laught30: ....town hall steps etc etc

some wag is already saying he's signed for us.... :clint:

Convicted Ched Evans, would become Previously convicted Ched Evans. Press would still give us :censored:, as would many fans around the country. For now though, he is still on trial for 2 months until his hearing, and even then he may get re-tried in a higher court. 4 years of not playing football, and he was a lower Championship/League one player before that. I dont get the need for dragging us into the limelight again, guilty or not Id steer clear and focus on other players

His hearing won't be in 2 months. The CPS has 2 months (maximum) to charge him. Any trial wouldn't be set until after that. I predict he will be innocent with no trial pending 2 months from now.

Conviction overturned.

Now an innocent man.

weather or not you think what he did was morally right or not is irrelivent he has not broken the law. He is now innocent.

He has spent time in jail and lost a huge amount of wages and a career that was looking up is now in tatters.

Its morally wrong for him to of been accused of rape in the first place by the girl now is it not? I hope she gets her just desserts.

I don't want him to play for us but I wouldn't opposed him signing, in the same way I wouldn't want a :censored: player here.

If we sign him then no issue - if won't effect my attendance or support. He's innocent as it stands.

Edited by NewBlue

No thanks. Not even with the proverbial disinfected 10 foot bargepole.

1. He still has to face a re-trial, so his innocence or guilt is still undecided
  2. His actions that night, whether it be rape or not, are abhorrent; certainly not the kind of role model our club needs or wants
  3. The media circus will roll into town again and the club will return to the spotlight for all the wrong reasons
  4. Many fans will walk away from the club. Not what we need at a time when attendances are showing a bit of an increase
  5. Online petitions will go viral, bringing further pressure on the club
  6. Opposition fans will "love to hate" us. We don't want to be the Millwall of the Football League, albeit for different reasons
  7. Evans cannot possibly be fit enough to play League football for a long time to come and may never return to his former ability
  8. If fans are divided on the issue, you can be pretty damned sure that the players will be as well. Some will play alongside him, others will want to stay as far away from him as possible. Dressing room unrest when Shez has brought it all together? No thanks
  9. What if Barry and Co want to sign him and Shez isn't interested? More unrest
  10. Maybe #9 is covered by what appeared to be a disdainful response from Shez to the question at the meet the manager event

There are probably many more arguments, both for and against, but that's enough for me to say, "I'm out".

1. He still has to face a re-trial, so his innocence or guilt is still undecided
  2. His actions that night, whether it be rape or not, are abhorrent; certainly not the kind of role model our club needs or wants
  3. The media circus will roll into town again and the club will return to the spotlight for all the wrong reasons
  4. Many fans will walk away from the club. Not what we need at a time when attendances are showing a bit of an increase
  5. Online petitions will go viral, bringing further pressure on the club
  6. Opposition fans will "love to hate" us. We don't want to be the Millwall of the Football League, albeit for different reasons
  7. Evans cannot possibly be fit enough to play League football for a long time to come and may never return to his former ability
  8. If fans are divided on the issue, you can be pretty damned sure that the players will be as well. Some will play alongside him, others will want to stay as far away from him as possible. Dressing room unrest when Shez has brought it all together? No thanks
  9. What if Barry and Co want to sign him and Shez isn't interested? More unrest
  10. Maybe #9 is covered by what appeared to be a disdainful response from Shez to the question at the meet the manager event

There are probably many more arguments, both for and against, but that's enough for me to say, "I'm out".

all 'ifs' but ....

petitons against an innocent man?

press circus for an innocent man?

hated for signing an innocent man?

His morals are not in question despite some not wanting him to sign for those reasons and whether opinion is split if a court says he was wrongly convicted it doesnt matter.

IF he is innocent he is innocent

Edited by palmer1

Yes it is, he is now innocent, deemed innocent in a court by some of the highest judges in the land . I'm not sure of how the concept of 'he has now no conviction and is not guilty is such a hard concept to understand even for people with closed minds.

1. His actions that night, whether it be rape or not, are abhorrent; certainly not the kind of role model our club needs or wants

He had a threesome with willing partners - not against the law but you are entitled to your morale outrage

1. The media circus will roll into town again and the club will return to the spotlight for all the wrong reasons

agree

1. Many fans will walk away from the club. Not what we need at a time when attendances are showing a bit of an increase

really ? outrage against signing an innocent man? as real as the tens of thousands who petitioned to boycott us if we did sign him

1. Online petitions will go viral, bringing further pressure on the club

agree

1. Opposition fans will "love to hate" us. We don't want to be the Millwall of the Football League, albeit for different reasons

agree

1. Evans cannot possibly be fit enough to play League football for a long time to come and may never return to his former ability

possible but we signed Warren Feeney once so we cant complain :smoking:

1. If fans are divided on the issue, you can be pretty damned sure that the players will be as well. Some will play alongside him, others will want to stay as far away from him as possible. Dressing room unrest when Shez has brought it all together? No thanks

very possible

1. What if Barry and Co want to sign him and Shez isn't interested? More unrest

strongly agree - we should only sign (if we can) if Shez wants, not if Barry wants

Edited by Stagger Lee