Changes Nothing

I think SC has to be given credit for creating what appears to be a long term structure. The management team in place have already created a solid looking squad which has been whipped into shape in a matter of weeks.

I am optimistic the future looks good.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that easy to just :censored: off down the road and for most disenchanted fans it wouldn't even happen, I'm happy when theirs hope and for me the hopes returned with this team, as Oldham fans we're not in it for the glory but theirs nothing wrong with having some form of expectations, just to tell everyone whose not happy to :censored: off down the road achieves absolutely nothing.

It was great to say it in the early 90s and I'm hoping, one day soon, that I get the chance again to say... "I was there when we were :censored:"

My expectations have remained low now for about six seasons with a smile on my face if we break the top 10 come May. It hasn't happened, I whinge but then the pre-season player signing starts and I'm back happy clapping.

Truth is that despite liking an oil billionaire to buy Corney out, I'd much rather have my club to follow every week. Survival matters but a dalliance in the top six one season would be lovely.

Laughable that people see "surviving" as being an acceptable aim. Ambition? Nah, leave that for others - we're little Oldham, we're lucky to have a club.

you need to take a serious look at where we are as a club, all this "we bigger than Rochdale & Bury" bants every year... barring an extra 500 fans at home, a good away following and the memories of better days we not we are on par with them, we've have had a few hiccups (for want of a better phrase) from the board in recent years but it looks like we are finally starting to get things right, in a few years time we could be in a better position we all want that but right now we are what we are, survival is key without survival how can we progress?

Amid 4,000 (approx) people, there'll always be people like the one who has started this thread.

I don't object to them, let them at it - the majority don't care about what they think, while another minority get frustrated or annoyed by what they think.

Me, I think I'm just looking forward to seeing how we get on in our next match.

Guest nonaenever

Having supported Latics through thick and thin for a long time, they are in my blood. You don't stop supporting your team because of a bad patch or because you don't like the chairman/board (they come and go - the team remains).

To the stay aways, I would simply say, "Come along - you may be pleasantly surprised" - we look to have the basics in place but, more than that, you can sense a genuine fighting spirit and the green shoots of a team togetherness.

Enjoy it and come along for the ride.

Having supported Latics through thick and thin for a long time, they are in my blood. You don't stop supporting your team because of a bad patch or because you don't like the chairman/board (they come and go - the team remains).

To the stay aways, I would simply say, "Come along - you may be pleasantly surprised" - we look to have the basics in place but, more than that, you can sense a genuine fighting spirit and the green shoots of a team togetherness.

This isn't meant to be a piss on the parade, but, as has already been said, at £24 we won't be attracting any stay-aways...

You are very polite. i applaud you and your very dignified response.

i'm a bit more...angry.

"i love the club, but i want us to be something we're not, therefore, i'm staying away in protest. i will sit on my ridiculous holier than thou stool and look down on you all. I especially love the club (really, i do) but I hate actually paying towards its upkeep. I believe it should be massively subsidised through magic beans, that way i won't have to pay anything. i would rather see it die than stay involved and pay a whole £24 for its survival. I mean that's what - takeaway for two? SC is evil, but my stance is pure and great. no club rather than...this.'

Seriously, i might have my political and sectarian disagreements with some people, but that's personal opinion. In terms of the club, you either get it and love it, or you don't and you can :censored: RIGHT OFF. Mr. nonanever is a true fan. Sanctimonious wankers should seriously do one. True fans - do me a favour. You are actually killing the club. Still, i'm sure you're safe in your own smug little world. I think you're a bunch of :censored:ing arseholes. Love the club? Give me a :censored:ing break.

£20 (and less) in advance, which could be the same day as long as you buy online.

Yes, pay in advance. The average cost of my home game is £80. I seriously i don't mind. I actually love the club. I know many others pay the same or more.

Again, stay-away fans who can afford to go but make pompous excuses aren't fans. :censored: OFF. I hated you in the late-1970s and 1980s, and i still :censored:ing hate you (types). Wankers.

Amid our modest fanbase, there's obviously a few that rather when we lose or are in full on crisis mode.

The defeat or crisis gives them fuel to burn, otherwise they're running on empty.

I don't think they care more or less about the club than me, it is just that they associate and react to with the club in a different way than me.

Personally I've enough :censored:e to deal with in real life than to let Latics get me angry.

It is a huge part of my life - but I think the point of it is to try to enjoy it.

With regards ticket pricing - I've long thought this was a major issue.

But surely it is an issue not unique to Latics.

If there is a broader movement across league clubs I'll do what I can to support it.

I won't lash out at Latics regardless though.

It's far too interesting at the moment.

Edited by Nohairdontcare

You are very polite. i applaud you and your very dignified response.

Seriously, i might have my political and sectarian disagreements with some people, but that's personal opinion. In terms of the club, you either get it and love it, or you don't and you can :censored: RIGHT OFF. Mr. nonanever is a true fan. Sanctimonious wankers should seriously do one. True fans - do me a favour. You are actually killing the club. Still, i'm sure you're safe in your own smug little world. I think you're a bunch of :censored:ing arseholes. Love the club? Give me a :censored:ing break.

I guess that the Diplomatic service didnt work out too well then?

Laughable that people see "surviving" as being an acceptable aim. Ambition? Nah, leave that for others - we're little Oldham, we're lucky to have a club.

In our 20 years in this league many teams with similar profiles, budgets, fanbases have been promoted. Even more have gone close, which would also make for a good season.

Even if we'd still never ultimately gone up we should have threatened to do so on many more occassions than we have. Even if only through luck rather than judgement.

corney & co are not the club WE are the club and the vast majority of us will still be here when he is long gone

what pisses me off is iam currently unemployed and awaiting my first payments or anew job and would be there like a shot home and away if i could afford it but saddly cannot yet folk choose not to go for spurious reasons its your team your supporting not the board

I have supported two clubs religiously in my lifetime. Latics and the Brisbane Lions. They have both been absolute :censored:e of late, but they are and always will be my shower of :censored:e.

I have had :censored: heaped on me and gloated in equal measures because of it.

For every Darren Kelly there is a Jimmy Frizzell. For every Joe Royle there is a David Dunn and for every Leigh Matthews there will always be a Justin Leppitsch, mores the pity.

It's football, not politics and I for one love my clubs no matter which chairman has or is the biggest cock.

People who refuses to go 'because of Corney' are of course refusing to go because we're :censored:.

I don't take a stance like some in condemnation at all, but if we started winning with Corney in charge they'd be back in a flash

Yeah, the "Corney has brainwashed you all into expecting :censored:" that some keep pushing is getting a bit tiresome.

Been watching us since 1991 and there has been a lot more :censored: than pudding in that time.

In our 20 years in this league many teams with similar profiles, budgets, fanbases have been promoted. Even more have gone close, which would also make for a good season.

Even if we'd still never ultimately gone up we should have threatened to do so on many more occassions than we have. Even if only through luck rather than judgement.

^This.

Concentrating only on the last decade - since we last made the play offs, I count on average 2 x teams per season with similar profiles, scale & budget, whom have made the Top 6.....

2015/16 Wigan Burton Walsall Millwall Bradford Barnsley

2014/15 Bristol C MK Dons PNE Swindon Sheff U Chesterfield

2013/14 Wolves Brentford Leyton O Rotherham PNE Peterborough

2012/13 Doncaster Bournemouth Brentford Yeovil Sheff U Swindon

2012/11 Charlton Sheff W Sheff U Huddersfield MK Dons Stevenage

2010/11 BHA Southampton Huddersfield Peterborough MK Dons Bournemouth

2009/10 Norwich Leeds Millwall Charlton Swindon Huddersfield

2008/09 Leicester Peterborough MK Dons Leeds Millwall Scunthorpe

2007/08 Swansea Forest Doncaster Carlisle Leeds Southend

2006/07 Scunthorpe Bristol C Blackpool Forest Yeovil Latics

Edited by lookersstandandy