What are the rules ?

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

I`ve been thinking..... the referee was so poor today that if I had been captain of Latics I would have said to the players, "Right, c'mon, we've had enough - we are off the pitch" and walked them all down the tunnel and simply refused to carry on playing with that imbecile in charge. Extreme, I know but justified today.

What would happen if the players simply refused to carry on unless the ref was replaced?

Would the result stand as it was at the time of exit, would the game have to be replayed ?

I understand a fine etc. but someone at some point has to do something to stop refereeing performances like that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve been thinking..... the referee was so poor today that if I had been captain of Latics I would have said to the players, "Right, c'mon, we've had enough - we are off the pitch" and walked them all down the tunnel and simply refused to carry on playing with that imbecile in charge. Extreme, I know but justified today.

What would happen if the players simply refused to carry on unless the ref was replaced?

Would the result stand as it was at the time of exit, would the game have to be replayed ?

I understand a fine etc. but someone at some point has to do something to stop refereeing performances like that.

I'm amazed this has never happened before.

The FL would take us to the cleaners and hang us out to dry.

No matter how poor a ref is they will always back him.

Poor refs are the biggest problem in football today and whilst we have

such protective hierarchy little will change in the short term.

Notice that trials are underway using video technology refs but it will be

50 years before it reaches our level if at all!!

We just have to grin & bare it and hope our ref luck changes!!!

The FL would take us to the cleaners and hang us out to dry.

No matter how poor a ref is they will always back him.

Poor refs are the biggest problem in football today and whilst we have

such protective hierarchy little will change in the short term.

Notice that trials are underway using video technology refs but it will be

50 years before it reaches our level if at all!!

We just have to grin & bare it and hope our ref luck changes!!!

Examining videos of today's refs decisions would have stretched the match to 4 hours.

That ref was blowing out of his arse after five minutes today, being as unfit as he obviously was and his inability to even keep up with play was seriously clouding his judgement and that's being nice about it, when you have respected journos ripping into his piss poor performance it says more to me, as a club we need to document these ridiculous decisions we've been on the end of the last two games and ask the relevant authorities how the :censored: we can move forward if it's one rule for one team and another for us, I'd also suggest that we ask that the incompetent useless :censored: never officiates for us again as he'd likely get lynched.

Examining videos of today's refs decisions would have stretched the match to 4 hours.

A good point

That ref was blowing out of his arse after five minutes today, being as unfit as he obviously was and his inability to even keep up with play was seriously clouding his judgement and that's being nice about it, when you have respected journos ripping into his piss poor performance it says more to me, as a club we need to document these ridiculous decisions we've been on the end of the last two games and ask the relevant authorities how the :censored: we can move forward if it's one rule for one team and another for us, I'd also suggest that we ask that the incompetent useless :censored: never officiates for us again as he'd likely get lynched.

Next week it might be the opposition moaning about the referee-get over it!

Grow up

This happens a lot in Thailand. Even the national team have resorted to it - most notably against Singapore in 2006.

A few years back, the league wrote a fifteen minute clause into the rules, whereby a team can walk off in protest, but must return to the field within a quarter of an hour. I'm assuming that this is still in force.

It really is bizarre when it happens. And not good for the game.

We've also had refs chased and beaten by fans. And shot at by club officials.

In the AFL, there are three field umpires, four boundary umpires and two goal umpires for each game. 9 umpires and they still cannot get it right.

Collectively, they are called an incompetence.

The field umpires especially are omnipotent beings. It's like an Olympic dressage competition the way they prance around sometimes. They seem to go on this power trip which is borderline headmasteresque when they chastise the players. I am an umpire little boy, no back chat from you now Sonny Jim.

The problem with modern football referees/umpires is that there is no accountability. Players are banned as a consequence of a number of bookings, most of which are unessecary. One incorrect decision could relegate a club costing them millions in future revenue from which they may never recover.

How many refs get a three match ban?

John Helm was a welcome guest with Mike and Roy on LP last night and was convinced that the ref would award us a pen as he was having a mare.

He was completely bemused by the refs lack of balancing out the decisions.

He was also thoroughly entertaining. Salt of the earth football fan and diehard Bradford PA supporter.

Edit: I also think it was a fair question from the OP. I have debated both sides depending on the alcohol consumption many times. The incompetence levels of referees are becoming more prevalent of late.

In order for it to gain any credibility though, both sides need to walk

Edited by L1onheartNew

Guest nonaenever

Grow up

I am grown up. It's just that the referee was so poor yesterday that something radical needed to be done. Sometimes, you know, justice and fair play don't happen until someone does something pout of the ordinary - history is littered with examples - would you have told the suffragettes to grow up ?

I am grown up. It's just that the referee was so poor yesterday that something radical needed to be done. Sometimes, you know, justice and fair play don't happen until someone does something pout of the ordinary - history is littered with examples - would you have told the suffragettes to grow up ?

The referee was :censored:. The players didn't need to leave the pitch costing us a likely points deduction and fine. What they should have done was try and not let it rattle them, defend better and not commit fouls at corners.

Please tell me you just compared the unfairness of a series of poor refereeing decisions to women not being allowed to vote...

The problem is, referees are wrapped in cotton wool by the FA/FL. Managers cannot talk to them until 30 minutes after the game, they can't show them any video evidence and if they say anything that could be contentious, they get slapped with a touchline ban and/or fine. It was clear in SR's interview how guarded he had to be with his comments and that is wrong on every level.

On the pitch, too, the referee is ruler of the kingdom and is able to brandish cards to anyone who tries to point out his indiscretions/errors. This is exactly what happened when Peter Clarke ask for some explanation of what was going on. I've only seen the extended highlights from yesterday, but it's patently clear that Andy Haines didn't have a clue.

Nailed on penalty when Clarke was hauled down in their box. Nasty, over the top tackle on Dunne (I think) could easily have been a red. Clarke taken out on the touchline was at least a yellow, maybe a red and he did nothing except give them a throw in. Those decisions alone dramatically turn a game. Players become frustrated and their game suffers when they see obvious decisions not being made.

​On the other hand, once it's obvious that he's hopelessly inept, the team who's getting the decisions believe that they can ramp up their tackles with less risk of being penalised.

BP1960 said that he has heard that the assessor (Phil Dowd?) went into the ref's dressing room at half time to remind him of the rules regarding shirt pulling, hence the soft penalty against us. Oddly, John Helm said in commentary that it looked as though someone had reminded the ref about that same rule. But surely to God, if he sees someone being wrestled to the floor, shouldn't it be obvious what the outcome should be?

It's weighted so heavily in the referee's favour and that is not good for the game. They are not held to account, they get another game the following week in the same division (a la Ross Joyce), they don't have to explain anything to anyone.

I agree with the OP that something has to be done, and not just in the lower Leagues. Look at some of the performances from the likes of Jon Moss, Anthony Taylor, Michael Oliver and others. I believe that the clubs submit reports after each game, but it appears to have little effect when you see someone like Trevor Kettle and Simon Hooper rocking up at a League ground every week.

I don't go along with walking off the pitch in protest as that would cause serious problems for the club(s) concerned, but can't there be an independent body, maybe even of supporters, who can submit video evidence to the FA/FL highlighting the incompetence of officials? There have been enough incidents in the last two Latics' League games to give them an interesting 15 or 20 minutes.

Having said all that, does anyone actually expect the suits in charge to act, or even react?

I'm still looking forward to Coventry, though. Provided we get a half decent ref, of course.

Edited by Bristolatic

"Grow up" isn't much of a response - but while I can understand the original poster's sentiments I think a walk-off would probably just get us relegated ultimately. Any action aimed at improving standards of refs would have to involve all clubs in our league and be coordinated and even then there's no guarantee it would have a positive outcome.

The only positive I could envisage would be that we'd be known as "the team that walked off" rather "the club that tried to sign a convicted rapist" - though we'd probably be known as the club that tried to sign a rapist AND walked off.

The referee was :censored:. The players didn't need to leave the pitch costing us a likely points deduction and fine. What they should have done was try and not let it rattle them, defend better and not commit fouls at corners.

Please tell me you just compared the unfairness of a series of poor refereeing decisions to women not being allowed to vote...

The Suffragettes would have murdered a police horse in protest against that refereeing