Rochdale Match

A lot of our problems are basic positional errors that the manager can't seem to sort out.

At corners for instance , either for or against we never have anybody in the D on the edge of the box , when Dale had corners the defensive headers dropped in the zone and they had 2 or 3 players lined up to have a pop . At the other end when we had a corner Dale also have players in that position to clear up and start a break.

Same when we are attacking , long clearance from the goalie out wide left to Erwin , he wins header and puts it in the only place he can , back inside towards the edge of their box but our midfield players are 30 yards behind and just crossing the halfway line.

It true what Eyres said on GMR , we are constantly under pressure and chasing the ball because of poor positional play.

Against Scunny we played much higher up the pitch with midfielders breaking into their box and we know how that worked out.

We play 2 holding midfielders which creates a huge gap between them and the front 2 which then brings them back into our half looking for the ball.

Dales goal came about because Erwin lost the ball in OUR half when he shouldn't be there.

It seems that Robinson is the only one that cant see it and he is just drifting into a situation where his job will eventually come under pressure.

Can't see why we can't go about our games in the same manner as the Scunny game, yes we will lose some but we will win more than currently and it will be far better entertainment than currently being dished up.

Come on Robinson sort it out , the players are good enough to compete at this level - ARE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the players are good enough to compete at this level - ARE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

I switch between believing they're good enough and not.

First half our inability to pass a ball swayed me heavily to think we're not up to it. If Green continues in this form we certainly aren't.

A lot of our problems are basic positional errors that the manager can't seem to sort out.

At corners for instance , either for or against we never have anybody in the D on the edge of the box , when Dale had corners the defensive headers dropped in the zone and they had 2 or 3 players lined up to have a pop . At the other end when we had a corner Dale also have players in that position to clear up and start a break.

Same when we are attacking , long clearance from the goalie out wide left to Erwin , he wins header and puts it in the only place he can , back inside towards the edge of their box but our midfield players are 30 yards behind and just crossing the halfway line.

It true what Eyres said on GMR , we are constantly under pressure and chasing the ball because of poor positional play.

Against Scunny we played much higher up the pitch with midfielders breaking into their box and we know how that worked out.

We play 2 holding midfielders which creates a huge gap between them and the front 2 which then brings them back into our half looking for the ball.

Dales goal came about because Erwin lost the ball in OUR half when he shouldn't be there.

It seems that Robinson is the only one that cant see it and he is just drifting into a situation where his job will eventually come under pressure.

Can't see why we can't go about our games in the same manner as the Scunny game, yes we will lose some but we will win more than currently and it will be far better entertainment than currently being dished up.

Come on Robinson sort it out , the players are good enough to compete at this level - ARE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I noticed that too on Saturday and in several other games.

I think with regard to our midfifeld, we don't have anyone in there with engine to get up and down the pitch quickly on a consistent basis. We never seem to get significant numbers in the penalty box apart from at set pieces. I assume that is why Steve Eyre advocates playing another man in there to get more control of the game.

I switch between believing they're good enough and not.

First half our inability to pass a ball swayed me heavily to think we're not up to it. If Green continues in this form we certainly aren't.

Part of the problem is Green is doing too much, Fane is a very weak link and everytime he gets the balls the first thing he does is turn back towards our own goal , he is always on the wrong side of his man and Green is forever trying to cover a lot of ground.

Drop Fane and have Green as the sole defensive holding player , take a lot of pressure of the back line by putting more men forward in the midfield area and you will see a different Green.

Green should be winning the ball and playing it forward to somebody like Flynn , at the moment he is trying to do both.

Edited by losesome

I've gotten to the point where I glaze over when people start analysing how our tactics could be improved. I can't help feeling we haven't got the personnel to stay up this time, regardless of which ones play and where you put them. Coupled with the new transfer rules, I think we're :censored:ed this season, as far as staying in League One is concerned.

Part of the problem is Green is doing too much, Fane is a very weak link and everytime he gets the balls the first thing he does is turn back towards our own goal , he is always on the wrong side of his man and Green is forever trying to cover a lot of ground.

Drop Fane and have Green as the sole defensive holding player , take a lot of pressure of the back line by putting more men forward in the midfield area and you will see a different Green.

Green should be winning the ball and playing it forward to somebody like Flynn , at the moment he is trying to do both.

I've defended Green over the last few weeks despite some poor performances and the tide turning against him. He's played at Championship level for the previous 9 season, he can obviously pass a ball, and he started the season off very well, having run the show in a few games.

The only explanation is tiredness from having to constantly cover for Fane, who like you say is never right side of his man and can't advance beyond the half way line through his lack of ball control. You're absolutely right that Fane must be dropped, but if Green is fatigued I can't imagine Robinson will want him as the only holding midfielder, especially as I can't think of a player we have to cover that position.

Although, the fact that Robinson has stated on a number of occasions that he never intended for Fane to start games regularly suggests he had some sort of plan which didn't include the lad. Wouldn't mind him dusting that off asap...

Personally I'd stick Banks in there with Green. While he might not have the engine he's definitely got composure on the ball.

I've defended Green over the last few weeks despite some poor performances and the tide turning against him. He's played at Championship level for the previous 9 season, he can obviously pass a ball, and he started the season off very well, having run the show in a few games.

The only explanation is tiredness from having to constantly cover for Fane, who like you say is never right side of his man and can't advance beyond the half way line through his lack of ball control. You're absolutely right that Fane must be dropped, but if Green is fatigued I can't imagine Robinson will want him as the only holding midfielder, especially as I can't think of a player we have to cover that position.

Although, the fact that Robinson has stated on a number of occasions that he never intended for Fane to start games regularly suggests he had some sort of plan which didn't include the lad. Wouldn't mind him dusting that off asap...

Personally I'd stick Banks in there with Green. While he might not have the engine he's definitely got composure on the ball.

Stick banks in alongside green and fane and play flynn off erwin. Having banks alongside green will still see us over over run in midfield.

Stick banks in alongside green and fane and play flynn off erwin. Having banks alongside green will still see us over over run in midfield.

Perhaps. Although what sort of width and pace would we have? McLaughlin would be the only player offering anything in that regard.

Another thing I noticed against Dale is that Green seemed to be leading our charge out from corners when we are defending. Surely it should have been one of Ladapo, Erwin or McLaughlin? It's bad enough leaving no one up but having a 33 year old lead the charge forward when there is a potential quick break on isnt the best idea...

couple of observations,

reckford and fane are useless.

over and out.

ps the blame for this mess lies firmly and squarely at the feet of one man,and it isn't the manager.

The self righteous brothers will get you for this one. There's only f and it's in his first name - :censored:ing Reckord

We had a player go down in our penalty area about then. Received treatment. Game restarted with a drop ball.

Clarke was saying very loudly to the bench that he had been elbowed as a corner came across.

Mate in the Sandy Lane said he hadnt seen anything.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

• 3 weeks later...