Rochdale Match

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ripley, Clarke, McLaughlin (who at least went looking for the ball), and possibly Dummigan, were the only players who played anything like well enough yesterday!. The rest were simply :censored:e!! Can anyone tell me why Ryan Flynn is in the team? He doesn't tackle, he doesn't go past people, he can't pick out a pass. Just what does he contribute? Fane looks like he's just come off Clayton Playing Fields. Green is ok'ish but I'd much rather have Liam Kelly. And as for the strikers, I'd give Ladapo one more game - in fact one more half - for him to show us that he's in the least bit interested in playing for Latics otherwise he can go back to Palace straight away for me. Erwin is not a centre forward, he hardly ever wins a header, his close control is woeful at times, and he keeps going out to the wings! Must be the manager who's telling him to do that. In my opinion the style of play is just crap. Nowhere near enough balls into the box. It's almost as though having a shot is the last resort, and the only one of our players who wins headers in the opposition box is Peter Clarke, a centre half!

Still keeping the faith, but it's getting harder and harder to watch. ⚽️

Not one player has the ability to keep hold of the ball for more than 2 seconds and pick out a telling pass, and collectively the midfield and forward line can't string 2 passes together without them losing control. They're obviously playing in this division for a reason. We are crying out for a Richie Wellens type of player. Someone with a bit of creativity who doesn't want to get rid of the ball the second they get it.

Whatever the players can or can't do, playing 4 in midfield was always likely to cause an issue for us.

You cannot blame Robinson for individual errors both with and without the ball, but he has to take responsibility for the shape of the team.

Burgess in particular is so unwilling to carry the ball into midfield that Fane and Green are on top of the back 4. As a result yesterday we just weren't able to move the ball through the midfield at all and Ladapo and Erwin were hopelessly isolated.

I didn't think either were great..... but I would have loved to have seen somebody try and look great with the serice they received.

We only improved after half time when we shifted Erwin to the left and got Flynn in behind McKay and we started to create the extra man on the right with Dummigan and Mclaughlin.

What was really worrying was that as soon as Hill made the change to the left side of his team we were back to square one.

I see nothing in Reckord to suggest that he is a capable league one footballer and I think that leaves us pretty unbalanced at present. We had to shift the point of attack in the second half but he wouldn't venture with any comfort past the half way line!!

Worrying times ahead.....

Robinson has said on his post match interview that we haven't got the physicality up front to knock the ball long and have to play it through the midfield.

I've seen no evidence of this phenomenon so far this season. Ladapo and Erwin are both big lads at 6'2 so why can't they win it and hold it, and if they can't then why have we signed them in the first place?

Robinson has said on his post match interview that we haven't got the physicality up front to knock the ball long and have to play it through the midfield.

I've seen no evidence of this phenomenon so far this season. Ladapo and Erwin are both big lads at 6'2 so why can't they win it and hold it, and if they can't then why have we signed them in the first place?

Erwin's clearly a technical player and not a hold up lad, but Ladapo was signed to do that wasn't he? Poor excuses from the manager for me.

He's been atrocious in the last two games and was rightly subbed at half time yesterday.

A midfield of

McLaughlin Fane Green Winchester and Flynn supporting A striker is about the only hope we have next Saturday, if it's Erwin he needs to learn how to bring others into play rather than over doing it and losing it time after time.

If we go to 5 in midfield I'd look to take Fane out for a few games and give Banks a chance. We need more composure on the ball and even though Banks is slow he is capable of getting the ball under control and keeping possession. Wouldn't mind seeing Woodland being given a chance aswell, granted he played poor against Carlisle but the entire midfield did in that first half.

Until we return to Flynn off Erwin with an extra man in midfield we will continue to over run in midfield and lose.

I don't know if Erwin is capable of playing up front on his own, but I like him as a player. I'm also warming to Flynn - everything we do well (admittedly its not much) goes through him. Marry them two with Mclaughlin, who's getting into his stride, and I actually don't think we're *that* bad in the forward positions. Mckay is industrious if nothing else.

We're not a good attacking unit because we can't play the ball through the middle. Fane is incapable and Green is badly out of form. Burgess struggles to pass the ball straight and we're set up negatively.

I've got reservations about the manager to be honest. In as much that he has said a few times this season that five or six of the players have not put in the effort that they should be doing. When you consider that some of them were free agents and had no club and others are out on loan supposedly trying to make a name for themselves, it worries me that the manager can't seem to motivate them. They shouldn't need motivating in the first place but he can't seem to get them to put 100% effort in every game. Like him or loathe him a team managed by someone like Neil Warnock would not be allowed to play like this lot have played most of the season. I don't like the managerial revolving door but there's a lot to be said about appointing an experienced manager instead of relying on a rookie in the first job.

Listened to Steve Eyre on the radio on way home and he expanded on his theory as to why we dont create chances.

He says it's because we dont control the midfield so hardly ever have good possession iN the final third. Says we dont retain posession long enough so tire from chasing the ball all the time.

He did say though that he doesn't think our problems are huge and reckons they could be fixed with a few small changes. He thinks we should play the extra man in midfield.

I don't know if Erwin is capable of playing up front on his own, but I like him as a player. I'm also warming to Flynn - everything we do well (admittedly its not much) goes through him. Marry them two with Mclaughlin, who's getting into his stride, and I actually don't think we're *that* bad in the forward positions. Mckay is industrious if nothing else.

We're not a good attacking unit because we can't play the ball through the middle. Fane is incapable and Green is badly out of form. Burgess struggles to pass the ball straight and we're set up negatively.[ I know it's all about opinions, but can you tell me what you see in Flynn, because I see someone who hardly ever puts a tackle in, doesn't really go past anyone, and never makes a telling, probing pass. The game just seems to pass him by most of the time as far as I can see.]

Can anybody explain to me how to reply to a comment on here. I've just tried but failed miserably.

Click quote bottom right.

And Steve Eyre is spot on although the problem is the crowd get restless if we pass the ball sideways alot but sometimes its necessary just to keep the ball for abit and give ourselves a breather and then speed up and start passing it forward. Our ball retention needs to be better so we don't have to be the best team without the ball all the time.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I know it's all about opinions, but can you tell me what you see in Flynn, because I see someone who hardly ever puts a tackle in, doesn't really go past anyone, and never makes a telling, probing pass. The game just seems to pass him by most of the time as far as I can see.]

He's shown glimpses in the last few games which give me some hope. Made some nice passes - off the top of my head I can think of 3 chances created with incisive passes in the past few games - and found space in between the lines at times, being an outlet. That being said he still goes missing for periods.

In my eyes there's been an improvement for sure from his poor early season performances.

I've got reservations about the manager to be honest. In as much that he has said a few times this season that five or six of the players have not put in the effort that they should be doing. When you consider that some of them were free agents and had no club and others are out on loan supposedly trying to make a name for themselves, it worries me that the manager can't seem to motivate them. They shouldn't need motivating in the first place but he can't seem to get them to put 100% effort in every game. Like him or loathe him a team managed by someone like Neil Warnock would not be allowed to play like this lot have played most of the season. I don't like the managerial revolving door but there's a lot to be said about appointing an experienced manager instead of relying on a rookie in the first job.

But we were relegated under Warnock,

Start by stopping the keeper kicking it aimlessly forward. Get the centre halves to split and give it to one of them or to a midfielder in the hole created. If the opposition push up to close that down at least you have forced them to commit 4 men into our final third when we have the ball leaving just 6 outfield players to cope with a longer ball

Edited by Magister

He's shown glimpses in the last few games which give me some hope. Made some nice passes - off the top of my head I can think of 3 chances created with incisive passes in the past few games - and found space in between the lines at times, being an outlet. That being said he still goes missing for periods.

In my eyes there's been an improvement for sure from his poor early season performances.

Flynn disappears for long spells, it a trait he can't seem to address.

Start by stopping the keeper kicking it aimlessly forward. Get the centre halves to split and give it to one of them or to a midfielder in the hole created. If the opposition push up to close that down at least you have forced them to commit 4 men into our final third when we have the ball leaving just 6 outfield players to cope with a longer ball

Neither of the centre mids are capable - Fane permanently, Green temporarily - of taking the ball, turning and passing

Neither of the centre mids are capable - Fane permanently, Green temporarily - of taking the ball, turning and passing

Correct,both have a tendency to be caught in possession, neither can put their foot on the ball and spray a telling pass.