OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter

Guest nonaenever

OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a fresh and independent initiative (OAFC - Oldham Athletic Fans' Charter) to try and bring about positive change at the club?

Guest nonaenever

Okay - I got back from London last night and have read all the comments on this and other threads. Thank you for the feedback and also for the messages to me personally via this site offering help - much appreciated. At 82% positive so far, I am taking that as a mandate to at least take this forward initially and see where we get with it. Communication and consultation is a vital aspect and to this end (taking on board some of the feedback) I have sent an open letter to Simon Corney/Mark Moisley at Latics (spoke briefly to Mark on the phone too) and to Diane Mellor/Simon Brooke at the Trust - an approach to see if they would like to meet and discuss the proposal initially.

My gut feeling is that such an initiative should remain independent - but there is no harm in talking to the club and Trust first (if they are amenable).

I will shortly upload a FIRST DRAFT of the proposed Charter (or manifesto) - people can then decide if it's the approach they want to support or not. I'm going for a co-operation NOT confrontation type of approach - genuine fans want to help the club succeed. However, please note that assertiveness will be a feature for some of the pressing things fans want to change.

One final point - the first draft is a high level document - the devil, as always, will be in the subsequent detail that underpins it - everyone will get their say via a public meeting if this comes to fruition - thanks again.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

“OAFC” – Oldham Athletic Fans’ Charter (2016)

Our Vision:

“To help Oldham Athletic, by season 2020/21, to become a successful and sustainable Championship football club which sits at the very heart of the Oldham community.”

Key Points to Assist in Achieving our Vision:

1. We will put the past behind us. We want everyone to learn from past mistakes but we aim to channel all our energies into a positive and successful future for Oldham Athletic.

2. We will generate ideas and submit details of viable initiatives to improve the experience for those attending the stadium. These will include ideas for pre and post-match initiatives as well as exploring other commercial avenues for stadium usage. We will assist in any way we can to help implement initiatives which are approved by the club.

3. We will undertake detailed research amongst Oldham’s burgeoning ethnic population to find out why this sector, by and large, does not support the club. We will then find solutions to attract such future fans – we want the Latics’ match day attendance to truly represent the people of the Borough of Oldham.

4. We will encourage the club to leverage the power and influence of its fans. There are thousands of them; many with connections and/or experience that would be of benefit to the club. We want the fans to be a catalyst for positive change.

5. We will undertake a co-ordinated programme of visits to schools, youth organisations such as Mahdlo, businesses and voluntary organisations to outline the benefits of getting involved with the Latics and nurturing a sense of belonging.

6. We will encourage the club to adopt a policy of “home grown talent first”. Oldham Athletic has produced some excellent players through the ranks – we would be delighted to see efforts re-doubled in this regard. We love “one of our own”.

7. Oldham’s population is 225,000; predicted to grow to circa 241,000 by 2020. There are over 6,000 businesses in the borough. We will help to galvanise the town so that Oldham identifies proudly and loudly with its football club. Doing so will attract more fans through the turnstiles and enhance business sponsorship opportunities. We aim, by season 2018/19, to attract 2% (projected 4,620) of the borough’s population as regular home supporters. By season 2020/21 we aim to attract 3% (projected 7,230) as regular home supporters in the Championship.

8. We promise a positive “can do” attitude. We love Oldham Athletic and are here to help. We know there will be some difficulties along the way but we will employ a policy of co-operation not confrontation.

5. We will undertake a co-ordinated programme of visits to schools, youth organisations such as Mahdlo, businesses and voluntary organisations to outline the benefits of getting involved with the Latics and nurturing a sense of belonging.

I commend both your vision and your willingness to put yourself out there. I encourage you, as someone who's been the target of much abuse in my time at the club, to take none of it personally. There's a great deal of pent up anger and frustration and anyone whose head is above water will become a target.

That said, the above point may be best served by talking to the award-winning and well regarded Community team (based at the ground, but technically independent from the club) about their work in the community. Along those same lines a question; given the probable indifference or push-back you will receive from the club how do you intend to research and understand the market place without their co-operation?

Which animal would you say you are most like and why?

I had that one crop up in an interview recently and it caught me off guard.

Another one I got was describe to you're 8 year old niece what a Balance Sheet is and how it works.

So Nonaenever Describe Oldham Athletic to you're 8 year old niece and how it needs to be run.

Guest nonaenever

18/11/2016

Simon Corney (Chairman) “OAFC” – Oldham Athletic Fans’ Charter

Mark Moisley (Interim Chief Executive)

Oldham Athletic (2004) Association Football Club Ltd

Sportsdirect.com Park

OLDHAM

OL1 2PB

By email to

Dear Mr Corney & Mr Moisley,

Re. Proposal for a new fans’ initiative – “OAFC” Oldham Athletic Fans’ Charter (2016)

As a loyal fan for many years, I have become increasingly concerned of late at the club’s deterioration on several fronts. Anecdotally, from speaking with supporters and perusing social media, it would seem that many others share those concerns. Presently, something is different; even long-standing and exceedingly loyal supporters are starting to turn away from the Latics. The reasons are diverse and the purpose of this letter is not to go into any detail regarding those.

The situation led to me posting a poll (13/11/16) on the website, OWTB asking this:-

“Would you support a fresh and independent initiative (OAFC – Oldham Athletic Fans’ Charter) to try and bring about positive changes at the club?” (Yes/No)

At the time of writing, the poll has recorded over 81% “yes” votes. Whilst accepting that % is perhaps not representative of the whole fan base it does, nevertheless, indicate a strong desire for such an initiative amongst some supporters. Please let me stress that “OAFC” is not some ill-conceived, fly by night “anti-board” protest group; far from it. Attached to this letter is a first draft of the proposed “Charter” for your perusal to provide an insight into my thinking.

Consultation and communication are a key part of any such process. I have yet to reach a final decision with regard to launching the initiative but there is a growing feeling that, for whatever reason, the Trust is not currently representing the fans’ views as it should be. Several people have said, however, that I should engage with the Trust and the club first, hence this initial letter of approach.

Please would a senior representative of the club, and of the Trust, be willing to meet with me in the near future, to discuss the issues at hand?

At present, I wish my identity to remain anonymous. Should you be amenable to a meeting, however, then of course I would inform you as to whom you would be meeting with.

Yours sincerely,

Cc. Diane Mellor & Simon Brooke - Trust Oldham info@trustoldham.co.uk

18/11/2016

Simon Corney (Chairman) OAFC Oldham Athletic Fans Charter

Mark Moisley (Interim Chief Executive)

Oldham Athletic (2004) Association Football Club Ltd

Sportsdirect.com Park

OLDHAM

OL1 2PB

By email to

Dear Mr Corney & Mr Moisley,

Re. Proposal for a new fans initiative OAFC Oldham Athletic Fans Charter (2016)

As a loyal fan for many years, I have become increasingly concerned of late at the clubs deterioration on several fronts. Anecdotally, from speaking with supporters and perusing social media, it would seem that many others share those concerns. Presently, something is different; even long-standing and exceedingly loyal supporters are starting to turn away from the Latics. The reasons are diverse and the purpose of this letter is not to go into any detail regarding those.

The situation led to me posting a poll (13/11/16) on the website, OWTB asking this:-

Would you support a fresh and independent initiative (OAFC Oldham Athletic Fans Charter) to try and bring about positive changes at the club? (Yes/No)

At the time of writing, the poll has recorded over 81% yes votes. Whilst accepting that % is perhaps not representative of the whole fan base it does, nevertheless, indicate a strong desire for such an initiative amongst some supporters. Please let me stress that OAFC is not some ill-conceived, fly by night anti-board protest group; far from it. Attached to this letter is a first draft of the proposed Charter for your perusal to provide an insight into my thinking.

Consultation and communication are a key part of any such process. I have yet to reach a final decision with regard to launching the initiative but there is a growing feeling that, for whatever reason, the Trust is not currently representing the fans views as it should be. Several people have said, however, that I should engage with the Trust and the club first, hence this initial letter of approach.

Please would a senior representative of the club, and of the Trust, be willing to meet with me in the near future, to discuss the issues at hand?

At present, I wish my identity to remain anonymous. Should you be amenable to a meeting, however, then of course I would inform you as to whom you would be meeting with.

Yours sincerely,

OAFC Oldham Athletic Fans Charter (2016)

Cc. Diane Mellor & Simon Brooke - Trust Oldham info@trustoldham.co.uk

Well written. Keep us posted

Guest nonaenever

Well written. Keep us posted

Pleased to say both the Trust and the club have acknowledged receipt with the Trust asking for available dates to meet. I won't do a running commentary hereon in - but will update with any material developments as and when. Appreciate it's everyone's forum - I`ve been quite busy on it lately. For now, I`ll concentrate on getting to Scunthorpe for a famous victory!

I had that one crop up in an interview recently and it caught me off guard.

Another one I got was describe to you're 8 year old niece what a Balance Sheet is and how it works.

So Nonaenever Describe Oldham Athletic to you're 8 year old niece and how it needs to be run.

Was the job finance business partner to senior management?

There's certainly a convincing argument that the Trust having a seat on the club's Board, rather than providing transparency and a voice for the fans, has rendered the Trust impotent, in terms of challenging the club on anything.

I genuinely don't beleive that is the case now, hence the role of the board member being changed from previous lesson learned and the current dynamic/more fans on a full trust board too to adapt more

However, we tread a fine line between what we want to/can divuluge but the survival of OAFC is paramount and if/when necessary will act to protect that interest. An example the The ACV which has been a long process

I don't have the corporate brain capacity and corporate directorship skills with legality and all to do this, but please be assured Simon B with the support of the others does have those skills

We do listen and read on here and using other social media too....just like the club does if you know what I mean.. Cough, cough

Edited by underdog

Our Vision:

“To help Oldham Athletic, by season 2020/21, to become a successful and sustainable Championship football club which sits at the very heart of the Oldham community.”

1. We will put the past behind us. We want everyone to learn from past mistakes but we aim to channel all our energies into a positive and successful future for Oldham Athletic.

2. We will generate ideas and submit details of viable initiatives to improve the experience for those attending the stadium. These will include ideas for pre and post-match initiatives as well as exploring other commercial avenues for stadium usage. We will assist in any way we can to help implement initiatives which are approved by the club.

3. We will undertake detailed research amongst Oldham’s burgeoning ethnic population to find out why this sector, by and large, does not support the club. We will then find solutions to attract such future fans – we want the Latics’ match day attendance to truly represent the people of the Borough of Oldham.

4. We will encourage the club to leverage the power and influence of its fans. There are thousands of them; many with connections and/or experience that would be of benefit to the club. We want the fans to be a catalyst for positive change.

6. We will encourage the club to adopt a policy of “home grown talent first”. Oldham Athletic has produced some excellent players through the ranks – we would be delighted to see efforts re-doubled in this regard. We love “one of our own”.

7. Oldham’s population is 225,000; predicted to grow to circa 241,000 by 2020. There are over 6,000 businesses in the borough. We will help to galvanise the town so that Oldham identifies proudly and loudly with its football club. Doing so will attract more fans through the turnstiles and enhance business sponsorship opportunities. We aim, by season 2018/19, to attract 2% (projected 4,620) of the borough’s population as regular home supporters. By season 2020/21 we aim to attract 3% (projected 7,230) as regular home supporters in the Championship.

8. We promise a positive “can do” attitude. We love Oldham Athletic and are here to help. We know there will be some difficulties along the way but we will employ a policy of co-operation not confrontation.

Not having a pop like, if you can help bring positive change I'll be right behind you but, is most of that not a bit wishy washy? You need more specifics in my opinion.

With regards to the 6,000 businesses I've always thought some kind of "Latics Card" or "Latics Discount Club" would be a good idea.

The club gets local businesses to offer discounts and offers to card holders who have to register to get a card/membership - the businesses get advertising via an associated website, cardholders get discounts and deals, OAFC get to market all the cardholders and all the businesses.

Volunteers (not me, :censored: that) could even go door to door with it around the town.

the survival of OAFC is paramount and if/when necessary will act to protect that interest. An example the The ACV which has been a long process

Not a pop at you but is this constant focus on the negative not a massive part of the problem?

The progress & future success of OAFC should be paramount rather than survival, which should be a given.

:censored:, this could also be applied to our tactics.....

Not a pop at you but is this constant focus on the negative not a massive part of the problem?

The progress & future success of OAFC should be paramount rather than survival, which should be a given.

Heheh, but of course, hence I don't have the skills for one sentence does all. But yes that just about covers our mission statement so to speak .that's why I don't do the trust bulletins and what not because I would royaly chuff them up somehow. Like the above, I suppose typing with a wee dram in me belly doesn't help too..hic Edited by underdog

Just gives you an idea of the noises coming from inside the club, no? All about surviving, making do, avoiding calamity, rather than ambition, success or progress.

Just gives you an idea of the noises coming from inside the club, no? All about surviving, making do, avoiding calamity, rather than ambition, success or progress.

The noises coming from the club are saying we are struggling to survive.

To make progress or to succeed, you have to survive first. You can't make progress whilst not paying bills/players etc.

Guest nonaenever

Not having a pop like, if you can help bring positive change I'll be right behind you but, is most of that not a bit wishy washy? You need more specifics in my opinion.

With regards to the 6,000 businesses I've always thought some kind of "Latics Card" or "Latics Discount Club" would be a good idea.

The club gets local businesses to offer discounts and offers to card holders who have to register to get a card/membership - the businesses get advertising via an associated website, cardholders get discounts and deals, OAFC get to market all the cardholders and all the businesses.

Volunteers (not me, :censored: that) could even go door to door with it around the town.

Harry - thank you for your feedback. As I wrote earlier, the Charter is a "high level document" to give a generic flavour - the devil will be in the detail that underpins it. That detail will be produced following full consultation with fans who support the Charter in principle. At this stage, I have offered to lead on the initiative if it gets enough support. So, what will happen (if it goes ahead) is that under each of the numbered "key points" will be a working paper which will detail the specifics you seek. Usually for a project to be successful, that is the way you go about it. It's actually quite a long term process and will involve a lot of work with SMART objectives (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound). The Charter as it stands is a first draft ​(so can be amended as seen fit) put together pretty quickly as people were asking for a "manifesto". Hopefully it sets the scene to at least allow people to vote in favour - or not, as the case may be.

Your excellent idea about a "Latics Card" for businesses could be an example of one of the specifics under a "key point". A sub-team might be tasked with researching it, coming up with a viable proposal and delivering on that within a certain timescale. Hope that makes sense.

I have not voted, as I currently sit in None of the Above.

I have been a fan of the club Man and Boy, for over 40 years, but spent more of that time away from Oldham, so not many games. I fully acknowledge that most contribute more than me. My 9 year old son is also a fan, but has only been to Gillingham away last season (so he's not a superfan, it's the nearest ground) and Bristol Rovers at home last month.

It was my son's first visit to Boundary Park, so I wanted to make it a tad special. I didn't want to go overboard as my son is very shy. He got a little spooked by a couple of fans being abusive but ejected in arm locks from Gillingham right next to him. So I asked for a little tour before the game at the end of September, to the Supporters Liaison Officer. A couple of weeks later I got an email, and was given assurance that agreement was waiting from the club. I heard nothing, and dropped an email at 9.30 on the morning of the match. I did not want to make a nuisance of my self. It wasn't going to happen. So we got to the ground, and an email arrived just as Chaddy was nearby, saying the normal person was not in due to personal arrangements (I have no problem with this, I don't think I should publicly say of where she was)

My son is 10 in December, so he really didn't want to meet Chaddy, but he was just in front of us! It's not the SLO fault the email took so long to get to me.

My point is not to slate the SLO, he does it on a voluntary basis.

I am certainly not Anti Simon Corney, he has the money he has.

I don't think we should go into or relegation to get the price of the club down

Not do I think Simon Corney should, or will, hold out for £24m

I also know I could have chased more, not that long ago I would have.

However, this post is not about our experience, It's water under the bridge now.

I think my experience is a microcosm of the problem, it is not through malicious intent.

It needs a different approach.

We need something like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37954971

We need a professional approach to getting a new investor.

We need a plan to start from the trainees up.

We need to re-establish the disconnect between the fans and the club.

We need the Trust to improve communicate more frequently. I am not anti Trust, but I just don't here anything, again it lengthens the disconnect. I just don't see where it makes a difference.The most I have seen is taking over the scoreboard, but very little before or since. I think it does, but I don't seem to see it doing much.

We need to continue to support.

We need performances to improve on the pitch.

We need to stop short term offers, and go for longer term deals

We need an ethos, plan and style that goes from top to bottom

We need an ethos that does not change with personnel and personnel buy into

All the above and more is why I give a guarded welcome to this initiative. I commend the efforts.

It needs to maintain this professional path.

Fully agree with everything that is happening here. However I would.like to add my 2 peneth.

This is definitely the way to go, but at the same time going this way is a very under the radar tactic. People on this board will back you, and the board and trust will know what's going on, but the wider public who no longer attend games will know anything about it.

Once the ball gets rolling we really need something that catches the public eye.not for one minute suggesting it (it quite clearly wouldn't fit with the tactic you have chosen) but a mass protest or public gimmick that catches the media's eye would go some way to recapturing long lost fans attention.

We need to think of a professional version of a protest/boycott/attention grabber that fits in with the tactic employed. Something the whole and wider fan Base can get behind. Something that signals change is afoot. The 3 amigo's announced their arrival with celebration sunday. Latics need a similar media and public attention grabber to signal the start of a new era.

Only trouble is the club really does need to show real intent for change for this to work