Mark Moisley on BBC Radio Manc for next hour

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's easily enough on the rap sheet to warrant sacking a manager already, I don't see why this game should tip anything over the edge.

It'd be ridiculous to sack him tonight and have wasted the past few weeks with a lame duck when another man could've been looking at signings.

My take would be that they have been reluctant to rock the boat before tonight, there's no suggestion he has lost the dressing room or anything like that.

To us it looks daft to sack a guy after defeat in this cup but to the bean counters tonight is a big deal.

My take would be that they have been reluctant to rock the boat before tonight, there's no suggestion he has lost the dressing room or anything like that.

To us it looks daft to sack a guy after defeat in this cup but to the bean counters tonight is a big deal.

Fair point. Hadn't thought about it in that way.

Although how far back you could use that argument is debatable - in truth, sacking him could've been justified for two months...

Sacking Robinson is not what we need. He's as good a coach as we're going to attract at the moment. He clearly cares about the club and I feel he needs to be able to build something if we're ever going to survive as a club. We need to stop being so short term minded and build a club from the bottom up.

He had 2-3 weeks to get a full squad together in summer and now he's only going to have another 2 weeks to get players he wants in. That's if the embargo is lifted. Sacking him is not justified in my opinion. Yeah we don't play attractive football but it is getting better. We don't concede many and the strikers he's got in need to have a look at themselves. Robinson is as ruthless as you want in a manager. He could've kept Ladapo but he's seen it just isn't working out and got rid as soon as he could.

Sacking Robinson is not what we need. He's as good a coach as we're going to attract at the moment. He clearly cares about the club and I feel he needs to be able to build something if we're ever going to survive as a club. We need to stop being so short term minded and build a club from the bottom up.

He had 2-3 weeks to get a full squad together in summer and now he's only going to have another 2 weeks to get players he wants in. That's if the embargo is lifted. Sacking him is not justified in my opinion. Yeah we don't play attractive football but it is getting better. We don't concede many and the strikers he's got in need to have a look at themselves. Robinson is as ruthless as you want in a manager. He could've kept Ladapo but he's seen it just isn't working out and got rid as soon as he could.

He had 6 weeks to get a team together. Wasn't overnight!

Whether it was 6 days or 6 months probably matters little - under a good manager/coach you would have expected us to progress as the season went on, if anything certain players have gone backwards and I'd struggle to think of one who has improved.

Looking at table I think staying up is a tougher ask than last season cos there are fewer teams in the mix, might mean that the safety mark is a bit lower than usual but we'll still need another 8-9 wins from now.

He made a lot of signings almost instantly, and I seem to remember him mentioning the need to get a team out against Huddersfield.

In reality though we had almost two months until the end of the window and we were so far behind already, we'd have been better off playing the youths in the first couple of friendliest instead of signing the rabble we did.

It was a horrible situation to come in to but he definitely had more time than he makes out.

Not till the first friendly.

And even 6 weeks is hardly long enough for 20 plus players.

How many first team regulars did he inherit?

It is not the first team regulars he inherited who are the problem ....it is the first team regulars he has created :)

To sack or not to sack. I'm against because the time to sack him has passed. Forget tonight. It is the next two league games that are must wins as if we lose to Gillingham they are gone at 14 points above us. Lose to Shrewsbury in a classic six pointer and instead of probably going above them we fall two wins behind. Changing the manager now, unless there is a new manager waiting with a list of signings, would be crazy.

Robinson was appointed on the 9th July, we played Millwall away on 6th August.

Players on the books at the time where Winchester, Cassidy, Brown, Edmondson.

I thought there were 5?

Edited by BP1960

It is not the first team regulars he inherited who are the problem ....it is the first team regulars he has created :)

He didn't have any first team regulars, even Winny was hardly first name on the team sheet.

Whilst he may not be the Messiah, how often has a manager has so few to start with and successfully started a season.

It may be we have to ditch to keep up but it would be foolish to write him off as a manager based on the timescale he had.

You can't build a team, we were struggling from the off.

A major factor is the changes to the loan system that meant it was no longer possible to bring in a few players outside the window.

It's new, so there manager is no manager in history that has had to start with so few, sign so quickly and not be able to sign any more.

Whether it was 6 days or 6 months probably matters little - under a good manager/coach you would have expected us to progress as the season went on, if anything certain players have gone backwards and I'd struggle to think of one who has improved.

Looking at table I think staying up is a tougher ask than last season cos there are fewer teams in the mix, might mean that the safety mark is a bit lower than usual but we'll still need another 8-9 wins from now.

I was definitely more pessimistic this time last year, though I accept everyone is different. Even at the start of Shez's tenure.

On the 16th Jan 2016, we were 5 points adrift of Fleetwood who had a game in hand, and 7 points adrift Blackpool-but they had played a game more.

We are not losing 2-0,3-0,4-0 so if we can sign the firepower of a goal a game we'll get dozen or so more points in the season, if we do of course.

In 14 League games, an goal would have improved the result from a draw to a win or from a lost by 1 goal to a draw. That's an extra 22 League points. So a decent striker pairing, and better service would massively improve our results. That seems to be in the offing.

Edited by singe

He made a lot of signings almost instantly, and I seem to remember him mentioning the need to get a team out against Huddersfield.

In reality though we had almost two months until the end of the window and we were so far behind already, we'd have been better off playing the youths in the first couple of friendliest instead of signing the rabble we did.

It was a horrible situation to come in to but he definitely had more time than he makes out.

What on earth would be the point of playing Youths in friendlies? You want friendlies to build the team for the first League game.

This could be wrong but here's a try. The numbers include Edmondson and Croft (as he was training with us throughout) but exclude Mantack, Stott and Knight, who signed their first deals, and Byrnes, who was not really first team:

by Tuesday 5 July - 7 players

by Saturday 16 July, first friendly - 15 players (added Law, Reckord, Woodland, Erwin, Ripley, Kettings, Flynn, Klok, Mckay, lost Murphy)

by Saturday 6 August, first league game - 21 players (added Burgess, Banks, Clarke, Green, Osei, Fane)

by Thursday 1 September, after deadline - 24 players (added McLaughlin, Dunne, Jahraldo-Martin, Dummigan, Ladapo, lost Brown and Cassidy)

Excluded Dieng as I think he was out of contract.

Edited by Crusoe