Chinese investors...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What level of investment is required? What is allowed?

SC appears to have been trying to stabilise the financial side of the club - the impact being a club that cannot balance the books and be competitive enough to keep fans interested and do anything other than struggle in League One.

With FFP, how much could we invest in the players salaries side of things? With crowds of 3-4000 we have a low playing budget - so would investment change this?

Investment could be made into things that boost revenue - finish the North Stand, scoreboard etc that presumably are not subject to FFP?

What would a good playing budget need to be to compete? Could we raise enough money from the above to fund it?

All for investment but we might need to be realistic, and that we are not going to turn into Manchester Ciry over the lower leagues over night even if Bill agates got involved.

Or am I missing something?

From the Official Site:
"We would also like to point out that the two Chinese visitors are not Manchester United fans, as was also mentioned in the article, and were merely getting a guided tour of the facilities used by the players. They remain disappointed that they were falsely linked with the article (in the Mail Online) and have now returned to China."
"If, and when, there ever comes a time that the club has either been sold or attracted investment, we will let the fans know in a timely and professional manner. In the meantime, we urge all supporters that read any articles not released in conjunction with the club, to read with a sense of caution."

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/club-statement-3539328.aspx

I imagine they are in the UK/Europe looking at a number of clubs and we've managed to get them to come to BP for a game.

Highly doubt anything will come of it and personally I hope it doesn't.

Senor may have pitched it right.

Better slow than wrong!

The Club Says:

The Daily Mail managed to upset all mentioned parties as well as doing a huge amount of damage to our club. We would therefore like to point out that we, at Oldham Athletic, have never asked Paul Scholes to act as an ambassador of the club to attract investment and unreservedly apologise to him for being linked with this story. Paul was merely doing the club a huge favour by donating his time to help coach our youth team, as he does from time to time. We sincerely hope that the newspaper involved issues a formal retraction and apology.
We would also like to point out that the two Chinese visitors are not Manchester United fans.

It appears that the late rarely-wrong Chron may also have got it wrong in saying:

Bizarrely, the club's hopes may have been given a boost by Paul Scholes.

The Manchester United legend was at SportsDirect.com Park on Tuesday to present a training session to the youth team as part of his UEFA 'A' Licence.

He was introduced in person to the duo, who are believed to be Manchester United fans.

Dick is being polite! Actually once said to the words to me "I'm not blowing my own trumpet but me and Matt Chambers are the best journalists the club has ever had!" To which I pointed out that he was indeed blowing his own trumpet! Not the first and last run in I've had with the guy but he's one first class bellend.

Dick is being polite! Actually once said to the words to me "I'm not blowing my own trumpet but me and Matt Chambers are the best journalists the club has ever had!" To which I pointed out that he was indeed blowing his own trumpet! Not the first and last run in I've had with the guy but he's one first class bellend.

Glad we agree on something ?

The tweet is an interesting one - is that a case of saying anything to try and respond to the statement OR is there genuinely something else in the pipeline?

It is not uncommon for journalists to tip off individuals or organisations that they have a "big story" and give them a chance to comment. This can de done days, or even weeks, before the media breaks the story.

[Rumour/Speculation alert] The rather petty statement from the club yesterday is fuelled not by the speculation about the investors, but by the knowledge that there is a "damaging" story about Brass Bank and the financial structure of the club out there and will likely be released soon.

Frustrated / annoyed, the club vent about the current story and hope that it gives them examples and ammunition to be used to rubbish the next story.

The tweet is an interesting one - is that a case of saying anything to try and respond to the statement OR is there genuinely something else in the pipeline?

It is not uncommon for journalists to tip off individuals or organisations that they have a "big story" and give them a chance to comment. This can de done days, or even weeks, before the media breaks the story.

[Rumour/Speculation alert] The rather petty statement from the club yesterday is fuelled not by the speculation about the investors, but by the knowledge that there is a "damaging" story about Brass Bank and the financial structure of the club out there and will likely be released soon.

Frustrated / annoyed, the club vent about the current story and hope that it gives them examples and ammunition to be used to rubbish the next story.

Mmm, never thought of it like that. .