General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

There's more excitement tonight than Boundary Park over the last 4 years - with the exception of Peterborough of course.

Hee hee - not wrong there. I go back to Readfearn's penalty and THAT will never be beaten. If you asked me to take a Labour victory over that I would say no. Some things are bigger than politics ?

On 07/06/2017 at 10:11 AM, rummytheowl said:

...and that's the right thing to do. If her constituents feel that she's not up to the job, they'll vote likewise.

I don't understand why you're so angry. When I watched her cock-up of an interview the other day I honestly thought that she was very poorly, and not in the frame of mind to operate as an MP or currently a candidate.

Diane Abbott's majority 35139

Amber Rudd's majority 346

In the Election called by a stupid woman in flat shoes aiming to crush the Labour Party. Thanks Theresa  xxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by ChaddySmoker

22 minutes ago, rummytheowl said:

A great show of support from her constituents.

She'd be a dreadful Home Secretary.

It's interesting though the young having been demonised as snowflakes came out and voted against the establishment last night, very much in the sane way that people who came out and voted for Brexit last year who themselves were branded stupid racists.

Strange election.  Both main parties share of vote up by a decent amount.

Labour up more partly due to UKIP voters going back home. 

I'm not sure either can get a queens speech through. 

A coalition including the SNP would be doomed and frankly disrespectful. They aren't even popular in Scotland any more. 

So... another election it is then.  Yay?  ?

15 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Labour up more partly due to UKIP voters going back home.

You keep saying this. What's your view based on? I find it hard to believe that voters who are passionate about Brexit and immigration controls would "go back" to Labour rather than the Conservatives.

6 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

You keep saying this. What's your view based on? I find it hard to believe that voters who are passionate about Brexit and immigration controls would "go back" to Labour rather than the Conservatives.

I find it mind boggling but that's exactly what's happened. 

57 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

50 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I find it mind boggling but that's exactly what's happened. 

Is it though? I'm genuinely curious rather than trying to score points. I read one article suggesting that this was the case in Wales, but I've not yet seen compelling - well, any - evidence for the country as a whole.

I know this isn't exhaustive, but just look at the swing in the 10 constituencies that had the biggest UKIP vote in 2015:

Clacton - 24.6% swing to Tories (11% to Labour)

Thanet South - 14.2% to Labour (12.6% to Tories)

Rochester & Strood - 16.3% to Labour (10.3% to Labour)

Thurrock - 6.2% to Labour (5.8% to Tories)

Heywood & Middleton - 18.9% to Tories (10.2% to Labour)

Isle of Wight - 10.6% to Tories (10.2% to Labour)

Boston & Skegness - 19.8% to Tories (8.5% to Labour)

Castle Point - 16.4% to Tories (11.2% to Labour)

Hornchurch & Upminster - 11.2% to Tories (8.5% to Labour)

Rother Valley - 17% to Tories (4.5% to Labour)

That's a pretty clear preference for the Tories rather than Labour. Perhaps there's a geographic split, but I'm not (yet) seeing a definite case that UKIP voters have been deserting in droves to Labour.

Edited by Crusoe
Corrected figures