2 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Sacked due to season tkt sales which were probably far more than we sell nowadays...

Dunno. It was pretty much only those beakers who wrote the open letter and are always first to buy their STs who had renewed wasn't it?

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Sacked due to season tkt sales which were probably far more than we sell nowadays...

Corney says it was one of his biggest mistakes to sack Ronnie. This is one of the few things I agree with him on. As Wellens said the following February at a fans forum, "Ronnie never wanted us to play that way...we just had one or two at the back who weren't good enough" to which he was alluding to Branston who loved to hoof it. Before being sacked that summer, Branston had already left. I honestly believe we would've gone up the following season had Ronnie stayed but the rest is history.

I would piss my sides if he came back.

Edited by boundaryblue80

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, palmer1 said:

Im not sure he has to prove anything...

He saved us from relegation and then built a squad including Wellens & Liddell that was probably our best side in years. Shez gets most of the credit for that squad.

Remember the days when managers used to build squads over a period of time

Halcyon days

35 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Corney says it was one of his biggest mistakes to sack Ronnie. This is one of the few things I agree with him on. As Wellens said the following February at a fans forum, "Ronnie never wanted us to play that way...we just had one or two at the back who weren't good enough" to which he was alluding to Branston who loved to hoof it. Before being sacked that summer, Branston had already left. I honestly believe we would've gone up the following season had Ronnie stayed but the rest is history.

I would piss my sides if he came back.

I seem to remember the football as direct not hoof ball in style, with 2 good wide men in Liddell and Eyres and 2 goalscorers in Beckett and  Porter.

I thnk we'd be happy with 4 like those next season.

My view of Ronnie is that he came across as not a likeable character and it was that what contributed to his downfall here. He just never felt like he was one of us. Admittedly that could have been down to our fans as much as down to himself. Sometimes, like with Shez a manager fits a club and vice Versa. If he did come back as assistant ( never gonna happen) I'd show my missus arse on town hall steps and eat your hat never mind mine. 

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

My view of Ronnie is that he came across as not a likeable character and it was that what contributed to his downfall here. He just never felt like he was one of us. Admittedly that could have been down to our fans as much as down to himself. Sometimes, like with Shez a manager fits a club and vice Versa. If he did come back as assistant ( never gonna happen) I'd show my missus arse on town hall steps and eat your hat never mind mine. 

He even had a pop at Shez after that first game of the season away at his Tranmere side. 

"They lost but they knocked it around very nicely, John'll be happy with that"

He didn't take to us and we never took to him but he's grown on me over the years since he went....

3 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

*Odeon steps

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

He even had a pop at Shez after that first game of the season away at his Tranmere side. 

He didn't take to us and we never took to him but he's grown on me over the years since he went....

Yeah I know what u mean about growing on you but I still wouldn't want him back. Would you ?

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Yeah I know what u mean about growing on you but I still wouldn't want him back. Would you ?

Oh no.

Although he could probably do a job in January if Shez has us adrift at the bottom :lol:

Edited by HarryBosch

6 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I always loved it when he'd give us some grief after we'd spent the best part of 2 hours calling him a wanker and saying his wife was a whore.

He had a dig in 2009 when they beat us when Royle returned, I'm sure of it. I'm pretty convinced that Sheridan would be open to the idea of him becoming Assistant Manager...

12 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I always loved it when he'd give us some grief after we'd spent the best part of 2 hours calling him a wanker and saying his wife was a whore.

He had a dig in 2009 when they beat us when Royle returned, I'm sure of it. I'm pretty convinced that Sheridan would be open to the idea of him becoming Assistant Manager...

As much as I like Ronnie, it did my fucking nut when they beat us at our place and he went over to the RRE celebrating. He totally had earned that right though, as you say, coz of the shit our lot had given him. For me, it all began when he was (unfairly IMO) getting shit in September of that season. Off the field, his dad passed away so you can imagine he wasn't in the best frame of mind. Eventually, in an early October game, he snapped and retaliated to the main stand moaners. The rest is history.

I'm not sure how it would work if he was a number 2 to Shez tho. Be a bit weird tbh...like it was that Barraclough was number 2 to Robinson. It's probably all bollocks anyway.

13 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/oldham-0-tranmere-rovers-2-3457669

On 2017-5-31 at 11:50 PM, Scapegoat said:

Colleague at work suggested that we are reportedly interested in Mansfield forward Matt Green according to their local press.

His view was mixed. Has pace to burn and scored a bagful when they got promoted from the conference; signed for Birmingham but got injured almost immediately and barely played; came back to the Stags last season and scored c.15 but wasn't quite as good as last time.

Wasnt sure if it was injury / not able to play at higher level / confidence.

Also, needs a good target man alongside to get Best out of him (Holloway?).

There was a tweet that we had signed him on a two year deal yesterday, but I cannot find it now