New signing - Craig Davies back!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

I wondered how long it would take until we were linked to a JCH return...

10 goals and  2 assists in 76 games for Rotherham.

Admittedly most of those in Championship, but 11 games 0 goals this season and 9 in 55 for us.

Worrying if that is the level we are at.

11 minutes ago, singe said:

Admittedly most of those in Championship, but 11 games 0 goals this season and 9 in 55 for us.

Yep. I like him but he’s definitely not what we need. 

12 minutes ago, singe said:

If you strip out goals against Bradford, what was his scoring record for us?

Davies is on target for 16+ this season. That's better than Forte 14/15, Kuqi 11/12 and Abbott 09/10. Doyle's excellence has seriously overshadowed CD's contribution, you're deluding yourself if you think he'd be easily replaced. JCH is not the answer.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Davies is on target for 16+ this season. That's better than Forte 14/15, Kuqi 11/12 and Abbott 09/10. Doyle's excellence has seriously overshadowed CD's contribution, you're deluding yourself if you think he'd be easily replaced. JCH is not the answer.

Presumably it would Davies pushing for the move rather than vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

It's a tricky one, as apart from his  5 game purple patch, he's been sparse, and the last few seasons have been dire for him.

Quite a similar record to JCH, apart from this season.

Portsmouth News journalist says they are not in for Davies:

"Sorry to be the Transfer Window Grinch, but am told links with Wes Thomas and Craig Davies are absolute codswallop. Faceless ITK accounts are really great, aren’t they. #Pompey"

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

We shouldn’t be actively looking to sell him, because he’s contributed more goals than I thought he would and he’s also been impressive holding the ball up and bringing others into play when I’ve seen him. But I do think if we get a good offer, we should consider it. My fear with Davies is that he’s never been a guy that is a consistent goal scorer in his career, he has peaks and troughs, and I still think he’s quite a poor finisher tbh, and I worry that he’ll go off the boil, especially if Doyle doesn’t return.

In his first season with us he had about the same amount of goals by Jan, but only scored 2 or 3 in the second half of the season, and that’s when he had blistering pace too.

Edited by PlayItLivo

According to PNE forum we are loaning Ben Pringle.Hope this goes ahead tomorrow.Was superb for Rotherham .

Portsmouth forum rubbishing Davies loan mover rumour..I feel Davies is doing a good  job up front so am happy if that is the case.

1 hour ago, PlayItLivo said:

We shouldn’t be actively looking to sell him, because he’s contributed more goals than I thought he would and he’s also been impressive holding the ball up and bringing others into play when I’ve seen him. But I do think if we get a good offer, we should consider it. My fear with Davies is that he’s never been a guy that is a consistent goal scorer in his career, he has peaks and troughs, and I still think he’s quite a poor finisher tbh, and I worry that he’ll go off the boil, especially if Doyle doesn’t return.

In his first season with us he had about the same amount of goals by Jan, but only scored 2 or 3 in the second half of the season, and that’s when he had blistering pace too.

He was injured in February and didn’t play again that season wgen on 14 goals 

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Playing within himself since Doyles been injured. Doesn't look arsed in all honesty. Both his penalties sum his recent form up. Hope he finds his form again but, I think Doyley made it a hell of a easier for him. Most of the running and movement came from Doyle. 

16 minutes ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Playing within himself since Doyles been injured. Doesn't look arsed in all honesty. Both his penalties sum his recent form up. Hope he finds his form again but, I think Doyley made it a hell of a easier for him. Most of the running and movement came from Doyle. 

I think that’s very harsh. Davies has been much better than I thought he would be, he’s worked well with Doyle, not because Doyle does it all, but because they clicked together, Davies hold up play and Doyle’s movement made for a good partnership. Not sure if it’s just me but Davies gets a bit of a rough ride off latics fans for me.

19 minutes ago, daniel said:

I think that’s very harsh. Davies has been much better than I thought he would be, he’s worked well with Doyle, not because Doyle does it all, but because they clicked together, Davies hold up play and Doyle’s movement made for a good partnership. Not sure if it’s just me but Davies gets a bit of a rough ride off latics fans for me.

Spot on. We finally have a contracted striker who's averaging a goal every 2-3 games and people are scapegoating him because of a couple of poor penalties. Admittedly, he's not the best footballer to watch and he's pretty immobile. But, after some of the dross we've had over the last decade, I really cannot get my head around the dislike of him.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Spot on. We finally have a contracted striker who's averaging a goal every 2-3 games and people are scapegoating him because of a couple of poor penalties. Admittedly, he's not the best footballer to watch and he's pretty immobile. But, after some of the dross we've had over the last decade, I really cannot get my head around the dislike of him.

Indeed! - offer buyers Holloway instead!