New signing - Craig Davies back!

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Appearence can be deceptiive, he might have played as a late sub in many of them.

A manager's criteria is usually "Is he bettet than what we have got". In this case the answer is probably "Yes".

He certainly did - 16 of his 19 appearances for Scunny were from the bench and 32 out of 40 for Wigan.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

He certainly did - 16 of his 19 appearances for Scunny were from the bench and 32 out of 40 for Wigan.

Why is it my typo mistakes only appear to my eyes after I've posted?

Edited by BP1960

22 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Wasn't his biggest fan when he was at Latics previously as I thought he blew more cold than hot but he's done well since moving on, including at a higher level and has proven he can score goals consistently.  If Holloway can stay fit, Davies should have a field day playing alongside him.

Good signing - I don't think we can reasonably expect to be signing strikers of a higher calibre than him.

He's a slightly higher calibre than I "expect" us to sign. 

Well done to Shez and Corney for getting this done, especially assuming Scunthorpe weren't offering peanuts.....

24 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

1 in 3 average between 2010 & 2015 but only 3 in his last 49....Didn't score a goal in 19 games for Scunthorpe and before that only 3 in 40 for Wigan.

If he can recapture his earlier form we'll have a good player but he wouldn't be coming here with a recent 1 in 3 record!

Mostly substitute appearances though. 

Soccerbase paints a clearer picture than Wikipedia (which was my first port of call too) 

Davies will be comfortable here, especialy under Sheridan. I'm looking forward to a big improvement in his scoring record over the last few seasons.

He is another signing under the radar, another two+keepers should see us threatening the top 6 instead of the bottom 4.

Apart from a goalie we have a decent squad already - compared to last season I feel blessed. 

Looking good for me taking account of our well publisied financial constraints.

5 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Not unhappy with this, but I still think we need a Luke Beckett/Lee Hughes type goal poacher. Don't suppose we can afford one of them though, so we'll have to hope Shez can get 15 goals out of Davies.

Shez knows him very well. Knows how to get goals out of him. Who would have thought we would have got goals out of Erwin ? With Holloway putting them on a plate for him him will easily bag double figures

52 minutes ago, astottie said:

I think this is a decent signing and hopefully could turn out to be better than that. My view of our preparation so far is firstly that we have kept everybody I would have liked to have kept from last year (Ripley excepted of course), secondly have got rid of those who didn't quite do enough for me and then have made 2 solid signings who have proved reasonably successful at this level in the past and who I expect to be starters in the first XI.  Plus  it's not the end of June and we must have over 3/4 of the squad in place. I think we are heading in the right direction.

Great call...we have all seen what Davies can do...even played for Wales and he wouldn't be joining us if he'd had a decent record recently as somebody has said......however, Davies or Ngoo is an absolute no brainer and definatly improves us up front..

Edited by ajw65
Spelling

Just now, mickjagger said:

Did he sign today can somebody fill me in i have been away for the last 7 days?

If he does score a hat full of goals for us i hope he will not be walking away again.

Walked away? We loaned him out when he wasn't catching our starting 11 and then sold him.

1 hour ago, Markspark92 said:

Think he more of a hold up player now not been scoring much but could be simular to Holloway which is a bit strange, but in Shez we trust, worked with him loads before so he knows what he's getting !

Saw him a couple of years ago like you say he has evolved his game since then to be like you say a target man who plays the width of the penalty box. So I think it might be either him or Holloway playing up top rather than have them playing together. But as a standard of striker we are likely to sign given the money available he's about as good as we might expect.

6 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Did he sign today can somebody fill me in i have been away for the last 7 days?

If he does score a hat full of goals for us i hope he will not be walking away again.

4 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Walked away? We loaned him out when he wasn't catching our starting 11 and then sold him.

Are you getting mixed up lets rewind are we talking about the same player????????

As people have said Shez has got a tune out of him on more occasions than not, and he is of a higher calibre than what I had expected us to sign, so it's good work in my opinion. 

I expect our final striker to be a Prem/champ youth loanee to play off either of Holloway or Davies. 

A left back, winger and 2 x GK's and we are pretty much there.