New signing - Craig Davies back!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll reserve judgment on this one. He was far from prolific at Wigan and Scunny at this level in the past couple of seasons.

We know what he's capable of, but I feel we've already had the best version of Craig Davies before and I'm not sure he's the type of striker we need.

But I'll happily be proven wrong.

26 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

I'll reserve judgment on this one. He was far from prolific at Wigan and Scunny at this level in the past couple of seasons.

We know what he's capable of, but I feel we've already had the best version of Craig Davies before and I'm not sure he's the type of striker we need.

But I'll happily be proven wrong.

Sums it up for me, hope I am wrong,

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Clarke extended, Gerrard 2 yr deal, Gardner & Davies signed - statements of intent to me these.... :grin:

Well done to Corney & Shez seemingly doing things properly for the first time in some time...

Any striker that can score goals should score goals next to Holloway. We know Davies can, and we know Shez knows how to get it out of him. Pleased with this.

Must say though, as excited as I was to see Gardner in a Latics shirt given I've followed his career I'm not sure he's a statement of intent as such. He's a classic us signing in that he may turn out well but he's far from proven at this level.

Looks like he's had a rough couple of years with injuries & form, but it can be a myriad of factors - I can't profess to know much about how he fared at the Plastics & Scunthorpe in terms of performance, but for all I know he could've played up front on his own with no support, or have the ball hoofed to him which doesn't suit his style etc, so not just as easy as looking at cold statistics. 

Whatever Shez does with him, he's consistently got a tune out of him at both at Latics & Chesterfield - I remember reading an article just before we went there for the 0-0 in 2016 saying how he loved playing for Shez. He's been a bit nomadic recently, but he's now more experienced & has a 2 year deal under a manager who believes in him (save for any more headbutts in local derbies :D) & importantly will be expected to stay in & around the box with a partner up top. If him & Holloway click, then we have the makings of a potentially brilliant partnership.  

Can we get a rewind to his form of 10 years ago? Shez sez yez!!

Wasn't his biggest fan when he was at Latics previously as I thought he blew more cold than hot but he's done well since moving on, including at a higher level and has proven he can score goals consistently.  If Holloway can stay fit, Davies should have a field day playing alongside him.

Good signing - I don't think we can reasonably expect to be signing strikers of a higher calibre than him.

1 in 3 average between 2010 & 2015 but only 3 in his last 49....Didn't score a goal in 19 games for Scunthorpe and before that only 3 in 40 for Wigan.

If he can recapture his earlier form we'll have a good player but he wouldn't be coming here with a recent 1 in 3 record!

I think this is a decent signing and hopefully could turn out to be better than that. My view of our preparation so far is firstly that we have kept everybody I would have liked to have kept from last year (Ripley excepted of course), secondly have got rid of those who didn't quite do enough for me and then have made 2 solid signings who have proved reasonably successful at this level in the past and who I expect to be starters in the first XI.  Plus  it's not the end of June and we must have over 3/4 of the squad in place. I think we are heading in the right direction.

Edited by astottie

Appearences can be deceptiive, he might have played as a late sub in many of them.

A manager's criteria is usually "Is he bettet than what we have got". In this case the answer is probably "Yes".

Edited by BP1960