This time next week..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Corazzin19 said:

Depends if we have a goalkeeper...

Relaaxxx...........chill out..................of course we'll have a GK........what we don't know is if he'll be any good!!!

Edited by mikejh45

55 minutes ago, laticsrblue said:

Wonder who organised the Utd friendly on Tues - 4 days before 1st league game!

Shez wasn't too happy about it when he was interviewed post Girona.

Someone's obviously expecting a sell out i suppose! .. well we all know how they'll all come crawling out from under their red stones irrespective of it being a reserve team. Still, it'll be a nice pot of cash if so on the night ... 

Edited by thetramfixer

17 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

Someone's obviously expecting a sell out i suppose! .. well we all know how they'll all come crawling out from under their red stones irrespective of it being a reserve team. Still, it'll be a nice pot of cash if so on the night ... 

Think I'll be giving this game a miss. I can't think of anything worse than sitting with a bunch of red twats who don't know were Old Trafford is for a friendly against a reserve team, no doubt it'll be one of the bigger attendance's, i'd have charged them all 20 quid for the privilege as well.  

Edited by daniel

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Think I'll be giving this game a miss. I can't think of anything worse than sitting with a bunch of red twats who don't know were Old Trafford is for a friendly against a reserve team, no doubt it'll be one of the bigger attendance's, i'd have charged them all 20 quid for the privilege as well.  

£10 for Season Ticket holders (standard pre-season price)

£20 for all others, but with a reduced entry (possibly free) for the Oxford game.

Try and convert some of the red twats.

This has surely got to be one of the poorest pre season preparations given that the club is supposed to be more stable than this time last year-poor opposition and what is the point of playing a team (Girona) who on the managers own admission we will not come up against that style of play this year.

Our new midfield general Gardner has hardly played after being told it was just a minor knee injury 2/3 weeks ago and we still have no first choice goal keeper. Now we end up playing The Filths reserve side.

13 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

This has surely got to be one of the poorest pre season preparations given that the club is supposed to be more stable than this time last year-poor opposition and what is the point of playing a team (Girona) who on the managers own admission we will not come up against that style of play this year.

Our new midfield general Gardner has hardly played after being told it was just a minor knee injury 2/3 weeks ago and we still have no first choice goal keeper. Now we end up playing The Filths reserve side.

Girona game great for fitness and experience.

Maybe they don't want a minor niggle to be worse when it's only preseason and he can't play 1st 3 games anyway?

Keeper not playing preseason with us isn't that important, a keepers job doesn't really change from club to club. 

And your issue with playing a United XI?

Fair point about Gardner-forgot he was suspended for first 3 games. Still cannot see the point of Girona-any game would suit for fitness but surely play against something more like you are going to encounter. 

Wasn't too worried about the keeper last week but feel we should be a bit more professional and have had something lined up if Ripley fell thru.

As for The Filth-well lets see what side they send to little old Oldham just up the road-earlier posters summed it up quite well for me.

7 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

It isn't even listed on thier pre season fixtures list.

Can't believe you've admitted to having a look at that :lol:

On a serious note though it doesn't matter a jot who we face now all we are bothered about is how the team perform at 3pm next Saturday. 

9 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

I've seen "Midfield General" misused several times these last few weeks and it has to stop and stop now :lol: 

Steven Gerrard was a midfield general, as was Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Steve McMahon, Mike Milligan. Players who, first & foremost were hard tacklers but could also play a bit, drive a team forward and pitch in with a few goals - usually important goals, often brave goals. 

Dan Gardner isn't that, neither was Shez (he's been wrongly given the moniker too in another thread), or Wellens.

Fane could be. 

Duxbury was probably our last midfield general. 

Edited by HarryBosch

16 hours ago, thetramfixer said:

15 hours ago, daniel said:

Do people really expect a big crowd on Tuesday? I would be amazed if there are more than 3k there (and not surprised if it was only half that). I have no interest at all in this game and know plenty others who do most friendlies who feel the same. You will get a few reds along but unless they announce that at least one 'name' is playing, it will not attract that many. The fact that United aren't even promoting the game says it all.

I also expect us to have a pretty weak side out. I can't think of a precedent for having a mid-week game in the few days before the season starts. Shez won't want to risk his starting 11.

2 hours ago, OLDHAM MUMPS said:

Agree with nearly all you posted Harry but I would include Shez for the very reasons you give for other players.

Shez was a cultured, ball playing midfielder. A beautiful footballer & a scorer of beautiful goals. 

He wasn't shy of a tackle & could be dirty but he wasn't a midfield general. 

47 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

Do people really expect a big crowd on Tuesday? I would be amazed if there are more than 3k there (and not surprised if it was only half that). I have no interest at all in this game and know plenty others who do most friendlies who feel the same. You will get a few reds along but unless they announce that at least one 'name' is playing, it will not attract that many. The fact that United aren't even promoting the game says it all.

I also expect us to have a pretty weak side out. I can't think of a precedent for having a mid-week game in the few days before the season starts. Shez won't want to risk his starting 11.

tbh I'm not expecting one either, but it wouldn't suprise me either!

That said, I was suprised at the attendance on Thursday what with us playing a La Liga team - its not often we get to play european teams.

This time next week (11:09) on Sunday morning we will have some idea of what the season ahead holds for us. At this stage I don't believe that even Shez knows his starting lineup or formation. Fully expect two new players in this coming week. I'm up for the game and definitely up for the season ahead. 

This time next week I hope that Sunday brunch is going to be going down just fine...please...