Corney on Investment

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, OL9erlatic said:

Touchwood we've found a diamond, what type of midfielder is he? Please say a forward thinking one 

Forward thinking, can thread a lovely though ball, not much use with Holloway on his own with his back to goal is it though?

Just now, BP1960 said:

Forward thinking, can thread a lovely though ball, not much use with Holloway on his own with his back to goal is it though?

Haha took the words right out of my mouth, as long as he can find himself inbetween this 50 yard gap we've gathered between the midfield and our 'strikers' he'll do for me

Interesting comments from SC which hint at something - investment, partial ownership, or a full-scale sale with Corney remaining in place for a period of transition?

With what we have put up with over the last 20 years we are understandably sceptical - but faced with the prospect of another 20 years of the same, I am willing to be slightly positive about this but will wait until we get more official news before making more views.  The Chron has basically quoted the video comments and added a bit round the edges.

6 hours ago, bozman said:

I don't think he has ever come out and volunteered information before. It's only been him responding to rumours/stories that have managed to gain a bit of traction beyond this message board and be reported in the Chron or other news outlets. And the stock line has been 'we're always talking to people and if/when there is anything concrete to tell the fans we'll let them know'.

As others have pointed out, nobody had a source on this one. He could have kept it quiet if he wanted to.

As good as our new social media guy is that was no Frost -Nixon interview. It took place because Corney wanted it to and he asked the questions that Corney wanted to answer. If it was a journalist doing that interview they'd probably have explored other issues too and have asked, for example, why French news outlets were reporting that a goalkeeper had signed a 2 year deal with us and said keeper's agent  was posting pictures of him in Latics training gear captioned 'Deal Done'.

It says in tonight's Chron that he did the interview after being contacted by them. That suggests they had heard about this and wanted his comments. SC realised the Chron would break the story so decided he would get in first. Nohairdontcare beat me to it!!

Edited by al_bro

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Seems odd to me that he would come out with it on camera, when the deal almost sounds done. Why not wait till it is or mention it earlier but say it's early days. To name the guy too, just seems bizarre l

Have you not been following us long? :grin:

4 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Its not a gift.  "Investment" will be in exchange for some shares, so its a partial sale.  

It isn't a full takeover, but its definitely a sale.

More shares could be created.

11 minutes ago, al_bro said:

It says in tonight's Chron that he did the interview after being contacted by them. That suggests they had heard about this and wanted his comments. SC realised the Chron would break the story so decided he would get in first. Nohairdontcare beat me to it!!

Yeah, I read that.

I wonder how much information the Chron had beforehand ?  If it was something subtantial I'd have expected them to ask for an exclusive interview to break the news rather than let him to do it on the club website first.

21 minutes ago, bozman said:

Yeah, I read that.

I wonder how much information the Chron had beforehand ?  If it was something subtantial I'd have expected them to ask for an exclusive interview to break the news rather than let him to do it on the club website first.

Yeah but, the Chron probably need OAFC far more than OAFC need the Chron nowadays....

They'll toe the line or get frozen out as seems to have happened a few times....

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Sounds like we will be at the whim of an agent. Can't see Sheridan putting up with it for too long.

If he gets better players I would think he will be delighted.

Like any any manager at work you have to do the best with what you have got, if the calibre of staff improves it can make implementing plans easier.

11 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

27 appearances in the Dutch top flight isn't to be sniffed at.

And then it's only been a year or so that he's done nowt.

Have City got links with this FC Cambuur? seems a few of there young lads have gone there, even that Rusnak bell-end

1 hour ago, laticsrblue said:

How can an agent be allowed to be part of a football club?

Surely there is too much scope for  dodgy business.

He can always just stop being an agent. Don't they have to get some kind of licence or something? Just give that up and he can become an owner.

4 hours ago, singe said:

Entirely sensibe to be cautious, and I think you are being too. But there is a world of difference between that and saying its never going to happen, I don't believe it, its a smokescreen, I'm not even gong to see what he has said, he's lying etc like some have., and already made their mind up.  Some pretty juvenile, fingers in the ears going la-lal-la not listening responses!!!

Time will tell.

I don't think I'm necessarily being cautious just aware right now that anything is possible right now. I'm open minded to this.

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

He can always just stop being an agent. Don't they have to get some kind of licence or something? Just give that up and he can become an owner.

The look on his wife's face when finds out next year's summer holiday is a weekend camping in Bala.