Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That was nearly 30 years ago! Most of those who went then have either moved away, lost interest, got other commitments or, sadly, kicked the bucket since then, I'm afraid.

I'm with al_bro - the blaming the TTA for lost fans argument doesn't hold any real water, because the Oldham public never really met them half-way when offers were on.

It took 68 years tho 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I'm with al_bro - the blaming the TTA for lost fans argument doesn't hold any real water, because the Oldham public never really met them half-way when offers were on.

Even though attendances declined year on year throughout their tenure?

There's good reason for that and none more so than ringfencing anything of any value then letting the tea boy oversee the football side, our clubs become nothing more than a franchise which was effectively given away to the first person stupid enough to take it on.

Anyone with an ounce of sense will look elsewhere you only have to read Royles comments about the Wigan takeover for proof of this.

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Even though attendances declined year on year throughout their tenure?

There's good reason for that and none more so than ringfencing anything of any value then letting the tea boy oversee the football side, our clubs become nothing more than a franchise which was effectively given away to the first person stupid enough to take it on.

Anyone with an ounce of sense will look elsewhere you only have to read Royles comments about the Wigan takeover for proof of this.

Crowds started dropping during the last season we were in the Premier League!  Think we got less than 10k for the Wimbledon home game.  The rot had well and truly set in well before TTA rolled into town..

5 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

You see, I was with you till that point.... it’s not the people of Oldham’s fault TTA financial plans were based on access to liquidity that dried up following the global crash in 2007 & their personal wealth was affected / not substantial enough to ride it out. It’s also not the people of Oldham’s fault that they made some poor decisions and were using Boundary Park as their personal insurance policy. No, TTA fancied playing at football ownership on the basis of owing land. Hull City had a very fortunate escape and in this regard and struck gold with Allam.

The club could sustain 15-20k fans per week & compete at Championship level - you only have to look at the 90s for evidence of that. Unfortunately, it’s going require an owner with robust medium-long term plan and reasonable amount of Capital Expenditure.

It really couldn’t sustain 15-20K fans, 10K week in week out tops. We only got over 15K for those really big 89/90 cup nights.

2 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

It really couldn’t sustain 15-20K fans, 10K week in week out tops. We only got over 15K for those really big 89/90 cup nights.

Averagd attendance last time we were in the 2nd tier was 13k. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06s33zl?fbclid=IwAR0cZtqHU06LfwHYTnQEmTZEqe7HWnFB5PRKO19E0Uo5W8zYab0rvMHxaO

I don't know if  the above link works to todays radio interview and you do have to register to listen to it....I also have no idea how I have manage to get an underline now why i type....aaggh...

Hope the link works

edit has i have worked out how to take the underlining off hahah

5 hours ago, JoeP said:

That was nearly 30 years ago! Most of those who went then have either moved away, lost interest, got other commitments or, sadly, kicked the bucket since then, I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

Crowds started dropping during the last season we were in the Premier League!  Think we got less than 10k for the Wimbledon home game.  The rot had well and truly set in well before TTA rolled into town..

6 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

I’ll spend an hour in the loft room tomorrow quoting you attendances that prove - with investment and sustained championship football - we could average (today) 15k+ per season.

4 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Did Abdallah say anything about key appointments?

Notice Richard Cooper club secretary has tweeted he starts new job on Monday.

on the coaching side..yes he did...its 25 mins long interview

I don't think there is anything sinister/conspiracy with RIchard Cooper. He told me last week he was leaving when I was contacting the club in my works capacity

The metropolitan borough has a population of approx 200k it only requires 10% to be 20k. Just needs the right product. Not all of em can go to the Manchester clubs ...there's people in Manchester and surrounding areas that can't get tickets never mind Latics rejects.... you can't beat match day if it's the right experience. Been to Wolves this season it blows you away and leaves me a little jealous but they got it right. Population of Wolves is about 400k they getting about 31k which is less than 10% but the ground holds 31700. But they dropped to 18k to 20k in league 1....so think every team will get floating fans it's just keeping them entertained. I remember moaning like fuck over the gloary seekers in the 90s wish we had em now.

27 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Haha bollocks

There is no bollocks about it. Man U u have to be a member and for the big fixtures it goes to a ballot. City's bit easier but there next game is sold out already West Ham, can get Bournemouth tickets now there rest are restricted sale, you can't just walk down the road and get in. So unless u plan ur season out there's a pretty good chance u won't be going to many game  

58 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Football is a different animal these days. Even Utd, City etc would only get circa 30k back then.

25 minutes ago, OAFCinWolves said:

The metropolitan borough has a population of approx 200k it only requires 10% to be 20k. Just needs the right product. Not all of em can go to the Manchester clubs ...there's people in Manchester and surrounding areas that can't get tickets never mind Latics rejects.... you can't beat match day if it's the right experience. Been to Wolves this season it blows you away and leaves me a little jealous but they got it right. Population of Wolves is about 400k they getting about 31k which is less than 10% but the ground holds 31700. But they dropped to 18k to 20k in league 1....so think every team will get floating fans it's just keeping them entertained. I remember moaning like fuck over the gloary seekers in the 90s wish we had em now.

Got kindly invited with 3 other friends to a freebie pre-meal and match there one evening last season - against Norwich. Was a good nights entertainment for the neutral to be fair, as it turned out - with Norwich snatching a draw in the last minute from 0-2 down.

The one thing that did impress me however, when you talk about the right match-day experience,  - was the capacity crowd (albeit they were on the cusp of promotion, therefore a great atmosphere) - so 31000 + as you've just quoted - and more importantly, - everything that was going on for all age groups in the spaces below the stands, - pre-game, - which meant people made a whole night of it, and were spending money which was going directly into the club. I have to admit, I was gobsmacked, and envious! 

Plus, the mates I went with said that whenever Sky turned up, apparently, they used to go all "Champions League" with the fireworks at the start- a bit pretentious perhaps - but it all adds to the atmosphere.

I know we've made a start with Juniors area, - but if only we could utilise the space we've got to the max !

1 minute ago, staffordlatic said:

Got kindly invited with 3 other friends to a freebie pre-meal and match there one evening last season - against Norwich. Was a good nights entertainment for the neutral to be fair, as it turned out - with Norwich snatching a draw in the last minute from 0-2 down.

The one thing that did impress me however, when you talk about the right match-day experience,  - was the capacity crowd (albeit they were on the cusp of promotion, therefore a great atmosphere) - so 31000 + as you've just quoted - and more importantly, - everything that was going on for all age groups in the spaces below the stands, - pre-game, - which meant people made a whole night of it, and were spending money which was going directly into the club. I have to admit, I was gobsmacked, and envious! 

Plus, the mates I went with said that whenever Sky turned up, apparently, they used to go all "Champions League" with the fireworks at the start- a bit pretentious perhaps - but it all adds to the atmosphere.

I know we've made a start with Juniors area, - but if only we could utilise the space we've got to the max !

Exactly, they’ve got Capital to invest, a Plan & they’re executing it.

Archived