Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

10 minutes ago, staffordlatic said:

Got kindly invited with 3 other friends to a freebie pre-meal and match there one evening last season - against Norwich. Was a good nights entertainment for the neutral to be fair, as it turned out - with Norwich snatching a draw in the last minute from 0-2 down.

The one thing that did impress me however, when you talk about the right match-day experience,  - was the capacity crowd (albeit they were on the cusp of promotion, therefore a great atmosphere) - so 31000 + as you've just quoted - and more importantly, - everything that was going on for all age groups in the spaces below the stands, - pre-game, - which meant people made a whole night of it, and were spending money which was going directly into the club. I have to admit, I was gobsmacked, and envious! 

Plus, the mates I went with said that whenever Sky turned up, apparently, they used to go all "Champions League" with the fireworks at the start- a bit pretentious perhaps - but it all adds to the atmosphere.

I know we've made a start with Juniors area, - but if only we could utilise the space we've got to the max !

It is, yes they had all the fireworks flames and big flags waving and they get em all going by blasting out Hi Hi Silver lining which they sing hi ho Wolverhampton......they are a long way from the team we beat home and away on our way to the top flight. 

My lads been to a few birthday parties at the ground and the set up behind the scenes is light years away. But hey they have had the rich chairmen to do it

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I’ll spend an hour in the loft room tomorrow quoting you attendances that prove - with investment and sustained championship football - we could average (today) 15k+ per season.

And I'll spend all day in the "loft room" (whatever that is..) tomorrow quoting you attendances that prove otherwise.

Said I'd take the kids to the park too, but won't be able to fit it in now.

Sucks to be them...

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

And I'll spend all day in the "loft room" (whatever that is..) tomorrow quoting you attendances that prove otherwise.

Said I'd take the kids to the park too, but won't be able to fit it in now.

Sucks to be them...

I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest a loft room may be a room in a loft. 

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Exactly, they’ve got Capital to invest, a Plan & they’re executing it.

We do need the capital and The Plan, but we also need the right people driving it.

I've lost count of the things that cost nothing that would just make things that little bit better (for example this week - the video doing the rounds on social media promoting the Cambridge game - had the date of the fucking game wrong..).

55 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We do need the capital and The Plan, but we also need the right people driving it.

I've lost count of the things that cost nothing that would just make things that little bit better (for example this week - the video doing the rounds on social media promoting the Cambridge game - had the date of the fucking game wrong..).

Bet there were thousands outside the gates on Friday trying to get in

7 hours ago, Fruitygoo said:

Complex financially..... Did they do better due dilligance than our current owner

Quite clearly.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Be surprised if Abdallah isn't looking at sites within the Borough to build a new stadium, it seems the only way forward given the complexity of who owns what at BP.

Realisically if we were to ever achieve getting into the top 2 divisions and staying there then that would have to happen.

However you are probably looking at waving goodbye to £30-£50million or even more on that I don't think he has anywhere near that kind of financial clout.

The championship has changed alot since we were last in it. That season only 2 clubs averaged over 18000 Wolves and Man City. Last season 14 clubs averaged over 18k and 9 of them averaged over 25000. If we got alot of forward momentum did all the right things on and off the pitch and got to the championship then we could get 10-15000 average but that would still make us a small club in championship terms and even then that could take us the best part of a decade to achieve.

We are trying to unravel 25 years of bad leadership it could take quite sometime to do.

11 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Averagd attendance last time we were in the 2nd tier was 13k. 

sadly it wasn't.
96/97  7,057

95/96 6,627

94/95 8,440

BEfore that was obviously 90/91 but that was as much due to challenging at the top, cup football,  and Joes nw brand of exciting football. It wasnt a sustain average.

Even then, if you go back to 87 and the play off year, we only averaged 6,882.

Prior to that it was much over.

90/91 13,232

89/90 9,746

88/89 7,184

87/88 6,819

11 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I’ll spend an hour in the loft room tomorrow quoting you attendances that prove - with investment and sustained championship football - we could average (today) 15k+ per season.

Agreed. Early 90's crowds were lower in general (Chelsea averaging about 20,000).

It's impossible to compare what was happening then to now but the fact that Huddersfield, Bradford, Wigan and Bournemouth have all averaged less than 5,000 in the last 25 years (*probably) is proof that things can change.

Build it and they will come.

So from the interview; he’s resolved 90% of the off-field issues, pumping in £200k a week (still don’t understand this), cannot talk about certain things as it’s legal (Rhodes dismissal or suing Corney perhaps?) and very close to bringing in a new assistant manager.

If we were in such a mess off the field, which I don’t doubt, then it will take time to resolve and things are happening but “slowly, slowly”.

Playing devil’s advocate here but perhaps AL is doing things right i.e. making us a debt free as possible (or less likely to being liable to creditors) first and then strengthening further on the field second.  We fans are frustrated as we want success now but AL wants us to be more financially sustainable first.

The one thing we can all agree on - if AL wasn’t here we’d be folded by now.  

I’m prepared to give him time even if it means a second season in L2.  All I’m asking for is a little more openness and communication.  If he’s genuinely here long term, genuinely fell in love with OAFC and genuinely looking to get us into the Championship then what’s the harm is not sharing his plans with the Trust at the very least?  Why wasn’t that interview firstly held with the Trust or even with the Trust there too?  If he wants us to trust him then he needs to trust the Trust.

Aprt from the PRem seasons, the last time we had 3 or more seasons average above 13k was 1954!

The last time we had a highest gate was 13k or above for 3 seasons int he league was 87-90, but before that 92-85

That may reflect the opponents rather than us though.

Maybe the best guage is a season total attendances over say 250,000 , incl cups

3 seasons was 1973-77 era

There are a lot more people out there now with the disposable income to attend football matches on a regular basis, I've watched us home and away since the mid/late 80's and we take more away now to shitty League 2 grounds than we did at times in the PL, we played Chelsea 1st game of the season in 92 away in the PL and took a similar number to what we took to Forest Green this season, crowd at Stamford Bridge that day was around 20,000 so that tells you all you need to know about how things can change given a modicum of success.

We've taken nearly 6000 to Anfield and 4000 to Dale in recent years so nobody will convince me that the support and crowds would no longer be there. 20000 is probably fanciful but there's no reason a successful team couldn't be pulling 10 to 13,000  on a regular basis in a League like the Championship where average away crowds would be around 2 or 3,000 if not more at BP.

46 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

So from the interview; he’s resolved 90% of the off-field issues, pumping in £200k a week (still don’t understand this), cannot talk about certain things as it’s legal (Rhodes dismissal or suing Corney perhaps?) and very close to bringing in a new assistant manager.

If we were in such a mess off the field, which I don’t doubt, then it will take time to resolve and things are happening but “slowly, slowly”.

Playing devil’s advocate here but perhaps AL is doing things right i.e. making us a debt free as possible (or less likely to being liable to creditors) first and then strengthening further on the field second.  We fans are frustrated as we want success now but AL wants us to be more financially sustainable first.

The one thing we can all agree on - if AL wasn’t here we’d be folded by now.  

I’m prepared to give him time even if it means a second season in L2.  All I’m asking for is a little more openness and communication.  If he’s genuinely here long term, genuinely fell in love with OAFC and genuinely looking to get us into the Championship then what’s the harm is not sharing his plans with the Trust at the very least?  Why wasn’t that interview firstly held with the Trust or even with the Trust there too?  If he wants us to trust him then he needs to trust the Trust.

we had an overview from Diane, your Trust rep this week from her meeting will Al. I may have said this earlier on an earlier post

We wanted Al to have his say...from his own mouth so to speak where we are up to, its his club, his news and his way of engaging with us fans. It would have been wrong and disrepectful if we had said anything first....he is very big on respect. I think i mentioned time and how its what us fans can give him...it cost us nothing as well as our support but as a Trust we remain vigilant as always.

The club is in a better place financially, this time last year I think we had two embaroes on us already by this time of the season (don't think we could player a player we had "signed" until Jan). Heavily reliant of the EFL payout we got in Jan because we crashed out of the FA cup and the HMRC raid.

He's right about staff not being paid on time previously, but  for some reason its more newsworthy in Al's reign....its not  right i agree, but every bad bit of news seems to be coming out now when previously it did not. with regards to the £200K I am unsure if he meant monthly as he has previously had a written statement.

he's arranged for BP to renamed BP, the Royle stand and the Frizzell stand to be named....previous owner could not.

Its not totally great on the pitch, we can all see that but the players seem to be behind the manager and with the promise of some monies in January, hopefully a decent push into the play offs if we can but i agree with you, this season was always going to be a transitional one, stability on and off the pitch. a good 10 years of not getting the basics right now needs this to be out in place with routine and the right staff in place. Don't forget for the first 5 months of his reign (upto May) the previous owner would not resign as a board member and was still around the club. What effect that had with old and new owner in play I can only imagine.

As fans we can support its what we are bloody good at and give him time to do things slowly, slowly

1 hour ago, singe said:

sadly it wasn't.
96/97  7,057

95/96 6,627

94/95 8,440

BEfore that was obviously 90/91 but that was as much due to challenging at the top, cup football,  and Joes nw brand of exciting football. It wasnt a sustain average.

Even then, if you go back to 87 and the play off year, we only averaged 6,882.

Prior to that it was much over.

90/91 13,232

89/90 9,746

88/89 7,184

87/88 6,819

Sorry, you are correct. It’s fair to point out though that  attendances were lower generally back then.

Also 95 to 97 we were on the way down.  This club can sustain over 10k home fans easily if we got to tier 2 in the current football climate. 

13 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Well that interview was er.... pretty much the same as the first interview he did. He doesn’t give much away does he! Foundations, here for the long term, foundation, foundation, foundations!!!!

I don't think its giving much away as giving us realistic expectations.

If he promises us things and don't materialise, then its on record and he's given a hard time over.

I found it interesting and informative, my only criticism would be why on earth didn't he speak out in an open and honest way earlier, he is in my opinion being hung out a little by local journos but needs to recognise that he needs to change the way he operates at times.

Seems like Wellens pressured him heavily with regards to signings and he's learnt a very severe lesson in over indulging in the transfer market to appease a young ambitious manager, £2.8 million should of seen us comfortably safe in League 1 but what's gone is gone. 

Whilst publically stating we are building foundations and progress will be slowly slowly I think that contradicts what he wants to achieve and where he wants us to be next season, every effort should be made to bounce back this season, this League looks weak and glancing at the League 1 relegation places and National League promotion places would suggest it won't get any easier as time goes on, setting the bar of expectations low isn't a bad idea but every effort needs to be made to have us competing and fielding a team the fans feel they can get behind,.

Finally Abdallah says he is happy with Bunn for now fans may feel the same way about Abdallah and in a results based business if the manager doesn't get results he is gone, similarly  if Abdallah doesn't deliver something the fans will stay away as you could see by the poor attendance and pay on the day numbers yesterday.

19 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Well that interview was er.... pretty much the same as the first interview he did. He doesn’t give much away does he! Foundations, here for the long term, foundation, foundation, foundations!!!!

Its still very early days. Not sure what the rush is.  If he doesn’t deliver in Jan and then again in the summer you will have your answer. 

There is is literally no point in constant speculation and rumour (which is always negative).

The nasty stuff from the likes of LeeSinnott here (and on Twitter) and Alan Howarth on Twitter are out of order in my opinion, because it’s based on hearsay and rumour. 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

I found it interesting and informative, my only criticism would be why on earth didn't he speak out in an open and honest way earlier, he is in my opinion being hung out a little by local journos but needs to recognise that he needs to change the way he operates at times.

Seems like Wellens pressured him heavily with regards to signings and he's learnt a very severe lesson in over indulging in the transfer market to appease a young ambitious manager, £2.8 million should of seen us comfortably safe in League 1 but what's gone is gone. 

Whilst publically stating we are building foundations and progress will be slowly slowly I think that contradicts what he wants to achieve and where he wants us to be next season, every effort should be made to bounce back this season, this League looks weak and glancing at the League 1 relegation places and National League promotion places would suggest it won't get any easier as time goes on, setting the bar of expectations low isn't a bad idea but every effort needs to be made to have us competing and fielding a team the fans feel they can get behind,.

Finally Abdallah says he is happy with Bunn for now fans may feel the same way about Abdallah and in a results based business if the manager doesn't get results he is gone, similarly  if Abdallah doesn't deliver something the fans will stay away as you could see by the poor attendance and pay on the day numbers yesterday.

This is how I felt too.  I thought... fair enough, let’s see. 

I will wait to see how the hacks that have abused him so far report this... if they even bother. 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

If he came out and said "Five year plan, Premiership, lots of money for good players", he would be setting himself up for a mighty fall and pi**ing off quite a few Latics fans in the process, probably driving attendances down even further. "Foundations" is a good term to use because without them, the club collapses, it's as simple as that. Why can't he say the need is to build things slowly? It makes sense to me.

He's not British, English is not his first language. The meaning of respect, to him, is probably a little different than it is to some others.  He is, seemingly, a successful businessman/former football agent, so what is to stop him from becoming a successful club owner? It doesn't matter what we, the fans, say or how much sh*t he gets thrown at him via social media...he is going to do it his way. End of. We have to let the Trust be our eyes and ears.

Personally, I was thinking over the history of the club the other day, skipping through my books and wondering how my grandfather felt at being a supporter, a hundred plus years ago...which made me feel really old!...I wondered how much of his waking hours he thought about the club in relation to what we do now, or was it just a Saturday high-point to a hard week of graft? I didn't know him, he died before I was born but he passed on the mantle to my older brother, who in turn dragged me into it, kicking and screaming. My daughters now...who knows where the torment will end? :D

Archived